LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
In my opinion, I think JET is so difficult and unrewarding. It's not worth all of the trouble that you have to go through, just to be a English teacher's assistant for a few semesters. I think there's much easier ways of getting a job in Japan.
Are you speaking from personal experience as a JET? Because I was on JET for 2 years and absolutely loved it.

Sure, you could go with the faster and easier private English school route, but you have to pay for your airfare there and back, you have to teach by yourself instead of with a Japanese teacher, and you typically have to teach in the afternoons, evenings, and weekends because that's when schoolkids and businessmen have the free time to be in a private English class. Your pay won't be as good, you'll probably have to find your own place to live, and you likely won't have as many perks as JETS (like paid vacation days).

IMHO, JET is certainly not perfect, but it can be the best way to go to Japan.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#22 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Are you speaking from personal experience as a JET? Because I was on JET for 2 years and absolutely loved it.

Sure, you could go with the faster and easier private English school route, but you have to pay for your airfare there and back, you have to teach by yourself instead of with a Japanese teacher, and you typically have to teach in the afternoons, evenings, and weekends because that's when schoolkids and businessmen have the free time to be in a private English class. Your pay won't be as good, you'll probably have to find your own place to live, and you likely won't have as many perks as JETS (like paid vacation days).

IMHO, JET is certainly not perfect, but it can be the best way to go to Japan.
Hmmmm..maybe just simply move to Japan and get an average job and live an average life? Sounds pretty good to me.

猿も木から落ちる
(#23 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
I think its major bullshit that JET would rather get people who know little about the country and speak zero Japanese. Does anyone know the reason for this? And is it just JET that is like this or do other companies prefer to hire less qualified applicants?
Let me guess.

Interviewer : So, give me a reason why I should choose you over the other applicants?

You friend : I love Japanese women despite the fact that they seem to dislike men with muscular builds.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm..maybe just simply move to Japan and get an average job and live an average life? Sounds pretty good to me.

That's a little... rude. It seems to me your underestimating how hard it is to just "simply move to Japan" and "get an average job."

What exactly do you have against the JET program? O_o
(#25 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Kind of difficult to get an "average job" if you're not a citizen of the country or have a Visa sponsor. It's more difficult to do it that way as opposed to going through something like JET, where they sponsor your Visa and pay your way there.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, I think JET is so difficult and unrewarding. It's not worth all of the trouble that you have to go through, just to be a English teacher's assistant for a few semesters. I think there's much easier ways of getting a job in Japan.
It pays more than most other English teaching jobs and more than most "straight out of college" jobs. I absolutley loved my three years there. Worked only 35 hours a week, and wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

Quote:
Going through the JET hiring process is a lot easier than that scenerio. Unless you are married to a Japanese you don't get to just "go to Japan and get a job". It doesn't work like that. You have to be hired first by...a program like JET.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-18-2009, 12:09 AM

I hope I'm not too off topic here... but is there any other good programs like JET that you would recommend. Many people on here seem to have good knowledge about it... It sounds like JET is extremely hard to get into, especially with them downsizing.

雅はアメリカに行きます!
빅뱅하고 태군하고 허영생하고 동방신기하고
MBLAQ하고 아웃사이어하고 F.Cuz하고 U-Kiss를사랑해요!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-18-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lself View Post
I hope I'm not too off topic here... but is there any other good programs like JET that you would recommend. Many people on here seem to have good knowledge about it... It sounds like JET is extremely hard to get into, especially with them downsizing.
JET is a government sponsored program, and the only national one of its kind...so the short answer would be "no".
(#29 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-18-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
JET is a government sponsored program, and the only national one of its kind...so the short answer would be "no".
Okay a question for you MMM.....besides JET, what would you say is the easiest and quickest way to LIVE (not just visit for a few months, but live. Maybe for a few years) in Japan?

猿も木から落ちる
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-18-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Okay a question for you MMM.....besides JET, what would you say is the easiest and quickest way to LIVE (not just visit for a few months, but live. Maybe for a few years) in Japan?
Get a working holiday visa!

I don't think Americans are allowed them... but if you're from Canada, Britain, Australia or New Zealand you definitely are among others... (i.e. you're a citizen of any of these countries).