JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
02-24-2009, 06:56 AM

That would take some getting used to, but I find it odd how no one addressed the,
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
.. but I myself had girls grab my butt in a Japanese school, which was flattering but somehow creepy.
, is this also considered a "cultural norm" because if it is, gives me chills.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-24-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
That would take some getting used to, but I find it odd how no one addressed the, , is this also considered a "cultural norm" because if it is, gives me chills.
It is. Girls also often grab other girls` breasts, poke guys in the crotch, etc. Guys also do the same to each other.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
It is. Girls also often grab other girls` breasts, poke guys in the crotch, etc. Guys also do the same to each other.
I have had my package poked more than once by Japanese guys.

In American thinking that must mean you are gay, but that is from the cultural glasses we look through. There is nothing gay about it. I know it is hard to believe for some, but culturally, Japanese people seem much more comfortable in their own skin and with their sexuality than most Americans.

I have gone out drinking with Japanese guys, and they are much more physically affectionate (to show friendship) than any of my friends in the US.

Why is this true when most children do not hug their parents or siblings? Maybe that is why...I am not qualified to say that is related or not...food for thought.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In American thinking that must mean you are gay, but that is from the cultural glasses we look through. There is nothing gay about it. I know it is hard to believe for some, but culturally, Japanese people seem much more comfortable in their own skin and with their sexuality than most Americans.
Americans and other former English colonies (Canada/Australia/New Zealand) are the odd one out really. In Europe, sexuality isn't taken nearly as seriously neither.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
Americans and other former English colonies (Canada/Australia/New Zealand) are the odd one out really. In Europe, sexuality isn't taken nearly as seriously neither.
I am sure you are right about that. My Japanese friends often put their arms over my shoulder, hand on my leg, walk arm in arm (after a few drinks), which would be basically unheard of the US in public.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am sure you are right about that. My Japanese friends often put their arms over my shoulder, hand on my leg, walk arm in arm (after a few drinks), which would be basically unheard of the US in public.
I think it has got to do with "think of the children" and political correctness.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
I think it has got to do with "think of the children" and political correctness.
I am not sure about that. I think it is just comfort with physical contact. I find Americans can be contradictory about that...and Japanese can be to, depending on the situation.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-24-2009, 07:46 AM

Back when we were dating, my husband shaved and then penciled his eyebrows. He rarely bothers these days as it takes time and is a pain...
But anyway, it is perfectly normal here. They sell little men`s grooming kits everywhere, and even makeup stuff for men.
Every single person I spoke to in the US said he HAD to be gay because of it... And added to the fact that he loved to go to a public bath during the summer (there was a really nice one near where we lived... It was great to walk to it in the summer night.) and get naked with other men in the room - it was set in stone.

I really do not think that it is true at all that children do not get that much affection from parents and siblings. Most kids sleep, bathe, and do everything with their family members. There is no need to go out of the way to express physical affection as chances are you are stuck to a family member most of your childhood. Mothers and daughters, fathers and sons seem to be very affectionate to each other, at least in my eyes. The school behavior is learned at home with parents and siblings - but with family it`s embarrassing to do so in public.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I really do not think that it is true at all that children do not get that much affection from parents and siblings. Most kids sleep, bathe, and do everything with their family members. There is no need to go out of the way to express physical affection as chances are you are stuck to a family member most of your childhood. Mothers and daughters, fathers and sons seem to be very affectionate to each other, at least in my eyes. The school behavior is learned at home with parents and siblings - but with family it`s embarrassing to do so in public.
I think Japanese children get a lot of physical affection from parents, but something seems to happen at some point where that seems not OK. The Japanese adults I know have almost no physical contact with their parents or siblings...even if they are comfortable being naked in front of them. On the other hand, I can be physical with my (American) family, but the thought of being naked in front of them is vomit-inducing.

Last edited by MMM : 02-24-2009 at 07:53 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
02-24-2009, 08:46 AM

Any girl would do that, because me and my friends would all hold hands or play with each others hair.

I dont live in Japan, but thats just the girls act, but why didnt you notice that at your old school?

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...