JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Pachipro (Offline)
JF Regular

Exclamation Here's What Actually Happens! - 02-26-2007, 12:03 AM

Well apparently Gerard has never been to Japan and is quite ignorant of Japanese law and how strict they are concerning the possession of any amount of an illegal substance. And for winds' friend I will explain what actually happens to you.

I am not proud of it, but I was unfortunate enough to be caught with an illegal substance 18 years ago while living in Japan and running my own English school. They were doing a crackdown of the bar I was frequenting and I guess it was my turn when they showed up at my place one morning with a search warrant. I was caught with 0.021 grams of hashish. I had planned on smoking it up the previous night, but wanted to save it for another day. If I had smoked it they never would've found anything, but I would probably still have been arrested because of paraphanelia or residue which is equivelant to possession.

I spent two weeks in a city jail while they did all the paperwork charging me and my wife spent a week. She was not charged with anything because they were convinced that it was only me. Even though she was completely innocent they still kept her for a week! In that time we were not allowed to make a single phone call to let anyone know where we were or what happend to us and I was questioned on a daily basis. Eventually I received a visit from representatives from the US Embassy who said my relatives were worried about me. They said they could not do anything to aid me and I was subject to Japanese law and any sentence handed down. I think the Japanese police can hold you for up to 28 days before charging you or releasing you.

After the two weeks of interrogation I was charged and allowed to post bail which was 300,000yen! 10% of the original 3 million yen bail!

In the end I received a sentence of 7 years hard labor suspended for 3 years. Read that again anyone who is doing drugs in Japan or even thinking about it! And I had such a miniscule amount! In Japan if you possess even 1/100th of a gram you will be arrested.

I won't go into detail here, but suffice it say it was not a pleasent experience. However, since I cooperated with them I was not deported, did not lose my school and my name never entered the papers. The Japanese police kept their word. In the two weeks I spent in jail I was never abused once and they were as polite as could be. Also, I was never forbidden to re-enter Japan once I left as I have been back every year since.

For me, it was such an eye opening experience that I have never touched the stuff to this day and never will as long as it remains illegal. I learned my lesson well and am grateful to the Japanese government not deporting me and to the police for keeping their word that if I cooperated they would keep my name out of the papers and that I would be able to keep my school since no one would know.

It seems that those who are married to a Japanese and have a spouse visa or permanent residence are not deported as there were also two other foreigners who were busted in that place and they had Japanese wives and were not deported. Since your friend is single he will probably be deported and forbidden re-entry back into Japan for a minimum of ten years I think. Depending on his cooperation he may not be sent to prison. It all depends on him. The Japanese are very lenient if you show true remorse.

And if you are Japanese as winds claims to be then you will be subject to Japanese law as any Japanese would be.

Therefore, take my advice all who are reading this: If you are doing drugs don't get caught and you'd be smart to stop, and if you are thinking about it don't even start because if you do get arrested it will be something you will never forget. And if you are unfortunate to get arrested for possession remember one thing, Japan is not America, or Europe or Austrailia where you have certain rights. Once arrested in Japan you have no rights. NONE! No phone call, no bail, no nothing until the police decide you can. So don't be a smartass to them, be cooperative, and things will go smoothly. If you are not and act arrogant and lie to them you may just find yourself in jail for 7 years.

Remember you are in Japan and you must abide by their laws whether you agree with them or not and that includes having your gaijin card on your person at all times.

I will also be glad to answer any other questions or concerns regarding this topic.

Do What You Love And You'll NEVER Work Another Day In Your Life.

For blogs on my experiences of living in Japan please visit www.sushicam.com and click on "Pachipro"

Last edited by Pachipro : 02-26-2007 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Additional comments