JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
addictedKool (Offline)
JF Regular

Studying and working in Japan? - 03-15-2009, 12:39 AM

Hey guys!

I'm currently a college freshmen in the U.S. and I wish to study aboard for a full year (staying with a host family) for the duration of my junior year. However, if I want to stay there for a year it is important for me to continue working in order for me to afford expenses for both college and personal reasons. In other words, I can't afford to not work for an entire year.

Unfortunately the U.S. doesn't have a working-holiday visa. Is there any way I can work in Japan with a student visa? I'm not looking for any corporate or bachelor degree-seeking jobs. Just a part-time gig waitressing, working in a retail store, etc.

(Would I need to take the JLPT before applying for those jobs?)

If I can't work with a student visa, is there anything else I can do? Is it possible to switch from a student visa to a work visa once I head over to Japan?

Sorry for all the questions.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Starairi (Offline)
Fukuoka resident

Send a message via MSN to Starairi
03-15-2009, 12:59 AM

I think this has been answered plenty of times on this forum and the answer is still no.

Sorry mate.

Starairi
Crazy norwegain person
ノルエじんです
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-15-2009, 04:54 AM

If you have all the money that is necessary to obtain your visa, YES you can possibly work part time while in Japan.

The thing is, in order to receive a student visa you will have to present proof that it is not necessary to work in order to pay tuition or base living costs for the time you will spend in Japan. They don`t want you to have to work in order to pay for schooling and survival while in Japan, as it is not guaranteed that you could keep a job making enough.

If you do have that set amount and receive a visa, you can apply for a work permit with the school you are attending. If they grant permission (usually based on whether they think your grades are good enough and not going to take a hit) you can work up to a maximum of 20 hours a week I believe. The school sets the maximum hours, and depending on the circumstances it varies.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
addictedKool (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Thank you so much for the info, Nyororin!!

So should I apply for a student visa first? And where do I apply for the work permit? The U.S. college I attend or the international college that I will attend once I study aboard in the country?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedKool View Post
Thank you so much for the info, Nyororin!!

So should I apply for a student visa first? And where do I apply for the work permit? The U.S. college I attend or the international college that I will attend once I study aboard in the country?
Before you even think about working, you`ll need to be enrolled in a Japanese university (whether independently or through an exchange program at your current university) and have student visa in hand. In order to get the visa, you`ll have to prove you are enrolled in some sort of schooling and have ALL the money you will need for living costs and tuition for the time you will be spending in Japan.

The work permit is not a work visa - it`s just a permit on top of your student visa. You`ll have to arrange it with the school you are attending in Japan. I severely doubt they`ll give it to you until you`re actually THERE and taking part in the program as it really is a permission thing, and there is no obligation to grant it at all.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
addictedKool (Offline)
JF Regular

03-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Thank you sooooo much, Nyororin!!