JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Considering Japan for my future. - 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Hello,

I have recently given more life to an ideal I have years about when I was in my teens. Now that I'm 21, I have been finding myself searching over the internet about life in japan or more specific Moving and working in Japan. Not just staying for bit, but maybe settling down there and making it my permanent home (yes that does mean changing my citizenship).

Currently this is just in the thinking phase, as I have been gathering a lot of data on how to accomplish such a feat, and this is where I need first and knowledgeable experience that will not white wash things for me.

First off it seems that the most basic start is a English teacher (which sounds great seeing how I do like English myself) but recently I learned of the Nova incident and how that career path kinda ends. Would someone be kind enough to post some helpful tips on career paths for an American in Japan?

Secondly, I spent two years of my life doing nothing and would like to apply myself towards a goal/career. I mention earlier that I do like English and I have some talent in artistic department. The question is how did you work out paying for college (stateside) and going to Japan?

These are two of my greatest generic questions that I need some help on from experienced people. I have nothing holding me down in the States and I do not mind the small apartments and I adore the culture and values that on the surface are presented in Japan. Now if you think I need more information on something or you think I may be at a lost please feel free to help. I also have not visited Japan and I will not make an decision to move there until I do so ( I was thinking I could work it out during college as a student transfer).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-16-2009, 01:35 PM

You should probably visit before making any decision, you're in the same boat as many others on this forum. Life here isn't very different from life back home (wherever that may be), just a difference in culture.

As for teaching english, give that a shot, there are plenty of companies that hire, you just have to look for them. A couple months in Japan may change your opinion if you really want to live in japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM

you should go if it is something you really want to do and think that you will enjoy not only living there but working there too.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
Hello,

I have recently given more life to an ideal I have years about when I was in my teens. Now that I'm 21, I have been finding myself searching over the internet about life in japan or more specific Moving and working in Japan. Not just staying for bit, but maybe settling down there and making it my permanent home (yes that does mean changing my citizenship).

Currently this is just in the thinking phase, as I have been gathering a lot of data on how to accomplish such a feat, and this is where I need first and knowledgeable experience that will not white wash things for me.

First off it seems that the most basic start is a English teacher (which sounds great seeing how I do like English myself) but recently I learned of the Nova incident and how that career path kinda ends. Would someone be kind enough to post some helpful tips on career paths for an American in Japan?

Secondly, I spent two years of my life doing nothing and would like to apply myself towards a goal/career. I mention earlier that I do like English and I have some talent in artistic department. The question is how did you work out paying for college (stateside) and going to Japan?

These are two of my greatest generic questions that I need some help on from experienced people. I have nothing holding me down in the States and I do not mind the small apartments and I adore the culture and values that on the surface are presented in Japan. Now if you think I need more information on something or you think I may be at a lost please feel free to help. I also have not visited Japan and I will not make an decision to move there until I do so ( I was thinking I could work it out during college as a student transfer).
There really isn't a career path for foreigners in Japan, just jobs because they tend to get rid of foreigners and replace them with Japanese. English teaching is a job because everyone I know got sick of it quickly.
If you have bills in the US, you will be short of money if you take a English teaching job because the pay is low.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but life in Japan isn't as easy as people think. It's crowded, expensive, and is much more difficult if you don't speak or read the language. Visit and if you do decide to go, good luck.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

03-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
There really isn't a career path for foreigners in Japan, just jobs because they tend to get rid of foreigners and replace them with Japanese. English teaching is a job because everyone I know got sick of it quickly.
If you have bills in the US, you will be short of money if you take a English teaching job because the pay is low.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but life in Japan isn't as easy as people think. It's crowded, expensive, and is much more difficult if you don't speak or read the language. Visit and if you do decide to go, good luck.
I was thinking of eventually ending up teaching English in a university. The only bills I would have would be college related. I already know about the whole gaijin mentality, and how expensive and crowded it is. I don't mind all the people and small apartments. Also I don't consider learning the language to be hard (I have translated a little here and there for my own personal use).

I'm trying to plan out not just going and working in Japan but also a future there past the whole "off the boat" experience. Like maybe meeting an wife, raising an family and overall growing old. I would like to see my self holding down a respectable job (English teaching in a University for example). I just need help staying for the long term or maybe permanently if that's is to be my future.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-16-2009, 04:04 PM

So you have a college degree now?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

03-16-2009, 04:14 PM

No, and before you write I've read many and even your thread about not being able to go to Japan without one. I wouldn't even start down a career path in my home country (USA) without one. I'm going to college regardless if I choose to live in Japan or not. What I wanted to know about the two is the potential end career that I could have that may relate to what I study in college.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-16-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
No, and before you write I've read many and even your thread about not being able to go to Japan without one. I wouldn't even start down a career path in my home country (USA) without one. I'm going to college regardless if I choose to live in Japan or not. What I wanted to know about the two is the potential end career that I could have that may relate to what I study in college.
It depends on what you study, I suppose. The number of foreign professionals stationed permanently in Japan is much fewer than those in Japan temporarily.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

03-17-2009, 11:57 AM

I plan to put myself toward an teaching career and want to actually teach, and ask if there is a difference between an eikaiwa and actual English teaching?

Also I don't consider the language to be an barrier, I will not put myself into a position to be part of a new land where I'm not at least somewhat understanding of customs and language (I will learn what I can by being in an English country). I'm will/would take part in the culture and not try to create a bubble around myself and other English speakers.

I've got a long way to go, college first and then see whats in the field after that. Hopefully the recession will be over by then.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2009, 02:48 PM

The real question is; Why do you want to live in Japan permanently?

It's just strange that you've made up your mind that you want to live there for keeps, when you haven't even visited.

If you're trying to escape something in your home country, that's probably not the best incentive.