(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-19-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
Here is the actual text of the law for loss of nationallity by a US citizen.

Quote:
(a) A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily performing any of the following acts with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality
The important part. If you nave no intention to relinquish your citizenship, then it will not happen unless you do something extreme - such as actually fighting against the US. And even then, you can usually get out of it by presenting proof you were coerced, etc. That applies even if you go and ask them to remove your citizenship - if you weren`t really intending to lose it forever, then it isn`t really gone.

Quote:
I have heard of cases where the consulate or embassy refused to aknowledge a citizens renunciation of US citizenship. This has been used by some US/Japanese dual nationals to retain both nationalities. If the person chooses their Japanaese nationality they are supposed to atempt to renounce the other. However, the consulate can reject the renunciation of US citizenship and thus the person is stuck as a Japanese/US dual national.
Right. So you can give up US citizenship in the eyes of Japan, and cease to hold a passport - but the US still considers you a citizen.

It`s sort of like a religion. Even if you stop believing and attending anything - you`re "nonpracticing"... But still are considered to be that religion by others involved in it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Noaks (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noaks View Post
Hi all.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I was born in Japan and I am a citizen of Japan however,I live in Australia and soon I will become an Australian citizen.
I am a good citizen in both countries and not feeling too comfortable sneaking off something but, it sounds like that is as long as I keep quite, I will get away with having dual citizenships, is that right?
The Australian government allows multiple citizenships here but hey, its the worlds most redneck country,Japan that is,don't accept dual citizenships.
Well, I have one more question, how difficult to regain the citizenship of Japan for a formar Japanese citizen wants to come back and live there again?
Cheers,
Hi All.
Is there anyone who has citizenships in Japan and Australia? Or do you guys know any person who has?

If I really have to give up Japanese citizen in order to become a citizen in Australia, I will.

Having said that, I can still work and live in Australia the same conditions as Australian citizens, with a permanent residence visa here.

So I am giving a lot thoughts.
I will be nice to hold an Australian passport ,though.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM

I thought Japan doesn't allow one to have dual citizenship.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

03-20-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
if the country that your already a citizen in and the other country that you want to be a citizen in allows it then yea it is legal.
Awesome
(#25 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
That is correct, and thats what we are talking about here...
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Noaks (Offline)
New to JF

03-31-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
That is correct, and thats what we are talking about here...
Hi All.
Is there anyone who has citizenships in Japan and Australia? Or do you guys know any person who has?

If I really have to give up Japanese citizen in order to become a citizen in Australia, I will.

Having said that, I can still work and live in Australia the same conditions as Australian citizens, with a permanent residence visa here.

So I am giving a lot thoughts.
I will be nice to hold an Australian passport ,though.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-31-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
You can have dual citizenship (i.e. Japanese and American parents) until the age of 22, I believe.