JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Hainzy (Offline)
New to JF

Moving to Japan -- New to this - 03-25-2009, 05:32 AM

Alright, as the title may suggest, I am new to both this forum, and to obtaining a visa. So, I'll start with a spiel. I will be attending Siast and receiving a diploma in Computer System Technology, in which I will learn Java, C, PHP, and other languages. I also intend on taking an English teaching course. So, that being said, if I teach English for several years, what are my odds of being able to be accepted for citizenship? Could someone please point me in a good direction? Thanks you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainzy View Post
Alright, as the title may suggest, I am new to both this forum, and to obtaining a visa. So, I'll start with a spiel. I will be attending Siast and receiving a diploma in Computer System Technology, in which I will learn Java, C, PHP, and other languages. I also intend on taking an English teaching course. So, that being said, if I teach English for several years, what are my odds of being able to be accepted for citizenship? Could someone please point me in a good direction? Thanks you.
Most at not all information about citizenship is on the japan website. That said you have to have at least 5 or 10 years strait living there OR be married to an Japanese national (you'll get an spouse visa which makes things a little easier). You also CANNOT hold an low class job, you must in some way advance the interest of the Japanese (they have list of things that would qualify on the website). Also you must have some good knowledge ( I believe an third grader level) of the Japanese language and writing.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Whoa, take it one step at a time.

The first step is to get a visa. I'm assuming you're not of Japanese heritage but are you under 30? If so, Canada has a 6 month working holiday visa which you may want to take advantage of. It'll give you a chance to experience the country and scout out the job situation.

A word of warning however, a work visa generally requires a university degree or 10 years of work experience. You may want to keep this in mind if you're still trying to decide on a post secondary education.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-25-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I will be attending Siast and receiving a diploma in Computer System Technology, in which I will learn Java, C, PHP, and other languages.
*raises eyebrow* SIAST? Which campus?

*edit* I believe I found it.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hainzy (Offline)
New to JF

03-25-2009, 09:44 PM

Saskatoon Kelsey Campus would be where, with the University of Saskatchewan for teaching English.

I am under 30 and live in Canada.

And for learning Japanese, would using the Rossetta Stone software be sufficient, or are classes necessary?

Thanks for the replies
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-26-2009, 12:47 AM

I am curious why citizenship is preferable over permanent resident status.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-26-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
And for learning Japanese, would using the Rossetta Stone software be sufficient, or are classes necessary?
That depends on the actual person. IMO, I felt that Rosetta Stone wasn't helpful at all and felt that classroom instruction would suffice better. Rosetta Stone, imo, seem to only focus on phrases, but one isn't truly learning why certain particles might be used for a certain sentence or little things like that.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
That depends on the actual person. IMO, I felt that Rosetta Stone wasn't helpful at all and felt that classroom instruction would suffice better. Rosetta Stone, imo, seem to only focus on phrases, but one isn't truly learning why certain particles might be used for a certain sentence or little things like that.
Agreed. About three years ago, I torrented Rosetta Stone. Took about 16 hours to download. Opened it up, went through about five minutes of material. And deleted it. It's a waste of time. You would be much better on your own than using Rosetta Stone.

So, in conclusion (IMO)

Classes are the best option out of the three. If you can't get into classes, then study on your own. It's not that hard. Rosetta Stone/other software, is an absolute last resort.

猿も木から落ちる