JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Easter In Japan? - 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Now I know Japan is mainly a buddist/shinto-ist country, but I was wondering (since you guys have christmas) if you celebrate Easter too?

For most people in England, the best way to celebrate Easter is to exchange gifts of chocolate eggs (or the "Easter Bunny" will "deliver" them while you sleep) because the egg symbolises new life and also represents the boulder that Jesus moved out of the way once he came back to life.

These chocolate eggs are usually hollow, and usually contain sweets (candy), more chocolate or even small toys inside.

Also, If you're not in Japan, how is Easter (if at all) celebrated in your country?

Happy Easter Everyone!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
YanBrassard (Offline)
JF Regular

04-01-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't really celebrate Easter so I can't really tell you. Some people like to give chocolate to their friends and/or love. Usually people give a chocolate egg. I don't know more about how it is celebrated here... sorry!

Je respecte ceux qui me respectent.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
04-01-2009, 11:03 PM

I'm in Austria right now and will be this easter but in my country (Albania, I hope anybody knows it), we colour red eggs and knock with each other, it's usually a family thing and who wins has the luck. I don't know the reason behind this because I'm not really religious (atheist), but we still do it just for fun... people are orthodox though, there is no catholic in my country... very rare to meet one.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I'm in Austria right now and will be this easter but in my country (Albania, I hope anybody knows it), we colour red eggs and knock with each other, it's usually a family thing and who wins has the luck. I don't know the reason behind this because I'm not really religious (atheist), but we still do it just for fun... people are orthodox though, there is no catholic in my country... very rare to meet one.
In America, "easter egg hunts" are among the main activities that go on during Easter.

They are usually organized by adults for smaller children. All the adults scatter plastic eggs around (they have candy and other prizes and stuff inside of them) All the children get together, (usually in a large open area, like a churchyard or something) and they have to find the eggs.

Is this in other countries? Or just America? I've never heard of it happening in other countries. But Easter here also has the same religious meaning.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
In America, "easter egg hunts" are among the main activities that go on during Easter.
Some families here do the egg hunt but they hide chocolate eggs like i mentioned before - I've never seen plastic ones? Sometimes they hide cream eggs too!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ChiAmaterasuNeko (Offline)
♪~♫~♪

04-01-2009, 11:39 PM

The easter egg hunts I attended when I was little were really fun!! I sometimes wish I could go back to those days...There would be candy like jellybeans in the eggs, or if we were really lucky, a quarter or two! lol Back when getting fifty cents was a big deal. ^^ Good times.

And as a member of the Christian Church, I also attend a Tenebrae service to remember Christ's death and resurrection. The eggs are fun, but that is the biggest reason I celebrate Easter.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
04-02-2009, 12:20 AM

Same here, but I still don't understand where the eggs and the bunny fits in. Who even came up with that?

"Jesus is coming, HIDE THE EGGS!" -Carlos Mencia
(#8 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM

I don't celebrate Easter, you think I might do a little something because bunnies are my favorite animal but I don't at all. However, I do take advantage of the candy sales that happen the day after.
Mmmm, Dove chocolate bunnies on sale..

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
japanlover93 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to japanlover93 Send a message via Yahoo to japanlover93
04-02-2009, 12:37 AM

they hide eggs in the bushes,they put chocolate candy or toys iside, that all i remenber,
happy easter

i hate this...........why do they always get in my life. why don't he tell me his feelings?.do you ever think of kids that are dying of hunger,war or sickness?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
04-02-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post

They are usually organized by adults for smaller children. All the adults scatter plastic eggs around (they have candy and other prizes and stuff inside of them) All the children get together, (usually in a large open area, like a churchyard or something) and they have to find the eggs.

Is this in other countries? Or just America? I've never heard of it happening in other countries. But Easter here also has the same religious meaning.
I got this from wikipedia

'For Orthodox Christians, the Easter egg is much more than a celebration of the ending of the fast, it is a declaration of the Resurrection of Jesus. Traditionally, Orthodox Easter eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Christ, shed on the Cross, and the hard shell of the egg symbolized the sealed Tomb of Christ—the cracking of which symbolized his resurrection from the dead.'

I guess that is why we use real eggs. I never won lol Also, people go down a table in the church... for luck I think

Very different to America though.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?

Last edited by iPhantom : 04-02-2009 at 01:15 AM.