JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sanchome (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question Notary Public in Japan - 04-03-2009, 04:08 AM

I need to get a notary public to verify my signature on some legal documents in Japan. The documents have to approved for legal use in the US / America. My current location is Tokyo. I know you can go to the embassy of your home country to do that, but are there other places where you can get the notary public to sign a paper for you?

Anyone have experience with this? What is the cost and how long does it take if you use a Japanese notary public instead of a foreign embassy? Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-03-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchome View Post
I need to get a notary public to verify my signature on some legal documents in Japan. The documents have to approved for legal use in the US / America. My current location is Tokyo. I know you can go to the embassy of your home country to do that, but are there other places where you can get the notary public to sign a paper for you?

Anyone have experience with this? What is the cost and how long does it take if you use a Japanese notary public instead of a foreign embassy? Thanks.
For legal use in the US, I would say that the embassy is the best bet. As far as I know, even if you have them verified in Japan they may not be legal in the US.

You can have it done in Japan, but chances are you`ll end up paying twice as in all the dealings I have had with the US, they ask for it to be verified at an embassy or consulate (although you can have documents translated anywhere.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.