(#11 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-17-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanesewords View Post
If you would only like to live in Japan for a short time, then your best bet may be to join a Japanese school. That will help you learn the language and the language school will take care of applying for your visa and usually will help you with living arrangements. Attending a language school also doesn't require that you have a college degree. It is important to realize that you will be in class 5 days a week, but it will certainly help your Japanese.

As far as getting a job, a college degree is a must. Also, if you would like to do something other than teach English then you will want to gain skills in Japanese.

Good Luck!
Disagree with all of this.

The easiest way to go to Japan short-term would be save up about $2000-$3000, buy a round trip ticket to Japan, and stay in a Sakura/Gaijin/Guest house for 3 months. (or the length of your visa)

About getting a job, you don't need a degree. Do you need a degree to flip burgers? No, do you need a degree to teach English? Yes. It all depends on what kind of Job you wish to have.

猿も木から落ちる
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Disagree with all of this.

The easiest way to go to Japan short-term would be save up about $2000-$3000, buy a round trip ticket to Japan, and stay in a Sakura/Gaijin/Guest house for 3 months. (or the length of your visa)

About getting a job, you don't need a degree. Do you need a degree to flip burgers? No, do you need a degree to teach English? Yes. It all depends on what kind of Job you wish to have.
I think by 'short time' they meant a couple of years... longer than you can stay on a holiday visa.

Could be wrong, but I thought that to get a working visa you need to have an employer vouching for the fact that they're bringing you over to do something unique, that someone from Japan can't necessarily do (like teach English, for example). I don't think anyone is going to get a working visa based on a job flipping burgers.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2009, 06:30 AM

Oh, and OP: Think about what you want to do with your life, beyond living in Japan for a few years. Maybe keep in mind the fact that it helps greatly to have a degree if you want to live in Japan for more than a few months. Study in a field that you actually want to work in - doesn't have to be related to Japanese or TEFL at all, unless you do want to work in that area. Try for a study abroad program while doing your degree if you're in a position to. Graduate, get a job teaching over there.

Simple. It uh, might just take you a few years.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#14 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Yeah, that's true I suppose.

But the absolute bottom line, the easiest way to move to Japan is getting married.

猿も木から落ちる
(#15 (permalink))
Old
AnthraxAttack (Offline)
JF Regular

04-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Start to study japanese
Find a nice language school(in japan) Study study study.
Take a university entrance exam(in japan, try working part time in between these two lines. study study study
Find work, get work visa and graduate
should take you around 6-10 years, then you can live happily ever after.

Good luck
(#16 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraxAttack View Post
Start to study japanese
Find a nice language school(in japan) Study study study.
Take a university entrance exam(in japan, try working part time in between these two lines. study study study
Find work, get work visa and graduate
should take you around 6-10 years, then you can live happily ever after.

Good luck
Good idea, except you can't work on a student visa.

猿も木から落ちる
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
04-17-2009, 11:47 PM

Well...No matter what, if only after two weeks you were so glad to hear your native language again...5 years may not be possible.
If you're going to let the language barrier be that big...it seems like you'll struggle more than you'll ever know.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-17-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Well...No matter what, if only after two weeks you were so glad to hear your native language again...5 years may not be possible.
If you're going to let the language barrier be that big...it seems like you'll struggle more than you'll ever know.
True that!

It definitely is not for everyone.

As I'm sure you've heard before, (talking to OP) I highly recommend taking a short vacation to Japan, just to make sure it's where you really wanna be. Then, if it is, try your options and make the move if possible.

And good luck

猿も木から落ちる
(#19 (permalink))
Old
AnthraxAttack (Offline)
JF Regular

04-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Good idea, except you can't work on a student visa.
It is possible, you just have to apply for permission. You can work 4 hours a day, in the summer break you are allowed to work 8 h/day or something like that.

Also try applying for this government scholarship, it had this messed up name. I'm sure you will stumbple upon it someday
(#20 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraxAttack View Post
It is possible, you just have to apply for permission. You can work 4 hours a day, in the summer break you are allowed to work 8 h/day or something like that.

Also try applying for this government scholarship, it had this messed up name. I'm sure you will stumbple upon it someday
Oh, I've never heard of that. You're probably right, thought!

But do you know how expensive this would be? And if your talking about a language school, your talking somewhere around $15,000 just for 1 year in Japan.

猿も木から落ちる