(#21 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Yeah, that's true I suppose.

But the absolute bottom line, the easiest way to move to Japan is getting married.
Really? I suppose that would depend on how good looking/rich you are versus how smart you are. I dunno, the idea of marrying someone just to come to their country is odd to me - don't you want to marry for love? I think committing to a loveless marriage of convenience would be harder than doing a degree! At least that's only 3-6 years of commitment and some student expenses which also sets you up for a career, versus a lifetime of commitment and the costs of wooing, wedding and supporting a wife. Not saying it's impossible for someone to fall in love with a Japanese person and move over there with them, but aiming for it specifically just doesn't seem right to me =S

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#22 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Really? I suppose that would depend on how good looking/rich you are versus how smart you are. I dunno, the idea of marrying someone just to come to their country is odd to me - don't you want to marry for love? I think committing to a loveless marriage of convenience would be harder than doing a degree! At least that's only 3-6 years of commitment and some student expenses which also sets you up for a career, versus a lifetime of commitment and the costs of wooing, wedding and supporting a wife. Not saying it's impossible for someone to fall in love with a Japanese person and move over there with them, but aiming for it specifically just doesn't seem right to me =S
Student expenses for marrying someone? Please fill me in.

And I understand where your coming from! That's your opinion, and your entitled to it ^_^

猿も木から落ちる
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
04-18-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
True that!

It definitely is not for everyone.

As I'm sure you've heard before, (talking to OP) I highly recommend taking a short vacation to Japan, just to make sure it's where you really wanna be. Then, if it is, try your options and make the move if possible.

And good luck
Yeah. I hope the OP isn't the kind of person that would expect after awhile to have the language barrier problem being fixed for her convienence...(hard to explain what I mean.)

As for this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi

Oh my god, you wouldn't believe how many people, both American AND foreigners, that I have met, thought it would be that easy just to marry and get into the country.
I don't think its right at ALL.
Even if you don't believe in marrying for love...maybe just for security, or other reasons that may also seem selfish...Just for the country's citizenship is something I would not feel comfortable with.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Nono I meant getting a degree involves a few years and student expenses, whereas marrying someone requires a lot more money and emotional investment (or suppressing, if you're only marrying her to get into the country...). I would absolutely hate to be used like that, although I guess there are some girls out there who would go for it if you have something they want, like money.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Oh my god, you wouldn't believe how many people, both American AND foreigners, that I have met, thought it would be that easy just to marry and get into the country.
I know right? I don't think it's easy at all, unless the person was quite desperate. You have to think about what you could offer them (aside from US residency, which I'd think there'd be some people from any country trying to get through marriage) if not love?

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#26 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-18-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Nono I meant getting a degree involves a few years and student expenses, whereas marrying someone requires a lot more money and emotional investment
Aside from the moral and emotional discussion, I'm referring to money. But I understand exactly what you're saying.

I do not think marrying someone cost nearly as much as going to college. I can drive to Las Vegas and it would cost more money than it would to actually get married there.

猿も木から落ちる
(#27 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Aside from the moral and emotional discussion, I'm referring to money. But I understand exactly what you're saying.

I do not think marrying someone cost nearly as much as going to college. I can drive to Las Vegas and it would cost more money than it would to actually get married there.
Do you really think a Japanese chick (or any girl for that matter) would be impressed by no money and quickie wedding in Vegas? I'm sure not all of them have extremely high standards, but if it was me I'm not sure if I'd want to marry someone who doesn't love me, is only using me to get into my country, has no university degree, doesn't want to spring for a proper wedding, doesn't have much money, doesn't have enough language fluency to get a decent job and is restricted in what work they can do by a spousal visa. Moral issues aside, it just doesn't seem practical for the woman involved - unless you're extremely rich and powerful.

EDIT: My point is - the wedding is the easy part, it's convincing someone to marry you that's hard!

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog

Last edited by ChisaChi : 04-18-2009 at 01:51 AM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-18-2009, 01:53 AM

I could have sworn I said "aside from moral and emotional discussion"

I'm strictly talking, hypothetically, literally, and on topic. If you want to go to Japan (long term). Getting married is the easiest and cheapest way. Bottom line. Will it be a happy marriage? Who knows? Will the girl be absolutely head over heels for you? Who knows? That's not the point.

But I understand what you're saying.

猿も木から落ちる
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-18-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:

I'm strictly talking, hypothetically, literally, and on topic. If you want to go to Japan (long term). Getting married is the easiest and cheapest way. Bottom line. Will it be a happy marriage? Who knows? Will the girl be absolutely head over heels for you? Who knows? That's not the point.

Getting married in Japan, with a Japanese person, who has a Japanese mother and Japanese father, is one of the most expensive things couples do...besides buying a home.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:

I don't mean in terms of morals or ethics - strictly from a practical perspective, what reasons do women have for marrying, if not love? Money, power, admission to another country they wouldn't otherwise be able to live in... if you can't offer any of these things, then it would be extremely hard to get a woman to marry you. There's got to be something in it for both parties, ya know?

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog