JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 06:51 AM

Japanese supermarkets mark down perishable items within the last hour before closing for the day. Also, many stores are closed 1 day a week, and the mark downs on the day before they close are even bigger. These are the times to go shopping, especially for meat, milk, refrigerated fruit juices (like orange juice), bread, fruit, iced coffee (oh how I miss the cheap and good iced coffee I had in Japan!), and anything else with a "sell by" date on it. In my city, each of the 3 supermarkets closed on a different day of the week, so half the time you could go to a store that was going to be closed the next day and in the last hour get some great bargains!

And I too definitely recommend getting a large bottle to drink and carrying it in your backpack, drinking from it as you like through the day. You'll save a bit of money over the vending machine price, and a ton of money compared to buying a drink with your meal in a restaurant.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
04-10-2009, 07:11 AM

these stores are like .98 cent stores right?
100yen is $1 dollar i have heard so that is a very good savings.>^_^<
i shall move to japan.

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 10:03 AM

MMM said "So many of those taste like Michelob Lite to me, though. Yes, the price is right on those "lighter" beers, but a lot of them taste like water and beer mixed together."

But this is the point I am trying to make. If you look with a good eye you will see high alc beers and strong malts mixed in with the low cal stuff. You really have to put on your browsing head and look at the stuff they are displaying.

If you just scan the low cal section once, you log the fact that there is nothing there for you and fail to pay attention to that section the next time.

I have found some really good beers because I will try anything new and I always look for new products. this is why I pay attention to the details on the package. I found (my current favorite Kirin Strong Seven) by looking in the low cal/cheap section. After the first 100ml smacked me down I was hooked and saved 100 yen each time.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 11:24 AM

*Reverses* Aquarius in powdered form, you say? Donki it is! You can't get Aquarius in the UK for love nor money.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2009, 11:07 AM

If you want me to sell you Aquarius then I can via Paypal. You would have to accept all shipping charges and my small markup to cover the cost of hitting a donkey, but if you don't mind then it can be arranged.

Today I was in Capsicum pepper nirvana. Most of the time a cap goes for between 128 and 198 yen but today in Summit the were 79 yen a piece. I almost wet myself when I saw this offer and proceded to buy 10 of the buggers (8 to freeze). It still amazes me the price difference you can find in this wacky place.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2009, 11:57 AM

We picked up some powdered Aquarius - cheers for the tip-off! Only time will tell if it tastes as good as the real thing

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.