JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Negroshima (Offline)
New to JF

Well I due to move to Japan - plz help. - 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Hi all

My gf of three years, wants to get married. She's just recently returned to Japan and started work in Tokyo, and I am still working in Melbourne Australia, I've been working here for the past 2 years in Citibank.

I have a 3 yr degree, and a postgrad diploma, which gives the 4 yr Tertiary required by Japanese companies. Given I speak zero Japanese, what are the chances of me getting a professional Job (no offence, but I dont wanna teach english), and also what do any recommendations on how to make the move easier. We havent married yet, and obviously I'll have to quit my job.

Should i try secure a job in Japan from here, or would it be better to quit my job, move and then start looking??

Sorry for the lengthy post.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 12:42 PM

There are CitiBanks in Japan, you could ask for a transfer or some sort of that matter. Ask your girlfriend to maybe gather some information for you about applying for work. If all is go, just enroll part time to a Japanese language school while you work.

The english speakers at my CitiBank branch are quite below par to understanding what I need. I try my best in Japanese but there are lots of words I dont know yet to be dealing with the bank in Japanese.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
japanesewords (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2009, 03:30 PM

To be perfectly honest, you will probably have a very difficult time finding a job if you do not want to teach English. That doesn't mean that it is impossible however. There are Citibanks here in Japan, but they will most likely require a decent level of Japanese.

Another option to consider is recruiting. Most of the recruiting positions don't require Japanese skills. It can be a pretty difficult field though.

Best of luck and congratulations.

Japanese Words -tips, articles, and materials on learning Japanese.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
isisbathory (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-14-2009, 04:31 PM

I recomend you to start learning japanese, if you wanna get a decent job, then impress them, if you can already speak some japanese it will be easier and better for you ^^

Good luck!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Moving in with her and start looking for a low-paying job would be your best option.

This is what I plan on doing also.

EDIT: It would also be a very good thing if you spoke basic Japanese. I mean, even a job at like McDonalds or something for a while would be fine.

猿も木から落ちる