LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraxAttack View Post
A bunch of japanese men acting and dressing like black girls, trying to steal a TV and then pulling out a gun and shooting a guy...
Were they all supposed to be black? One had an afro, one had straight black hair and one had long blond hair. Read into it what you want, but in my experience you can see whatever you want in what is often nonsensical Japanese humor.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

05-03-2009, 04:49 PM

there is a show that comes on my tv that is called "black life in japan" but i havent watched it.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#13 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

05-03-2009, 06:24 PM

I met this black girl who just went to Tokyo for a month who spoke almost-fluent Japanese and spent most of her free time in Harajuku decked out in lolita. She said she had no bad experiences, but she did get the occasional wolf-whistle...

I believe a lot of bad experiences in foreign environments happen when you go looking for them. Since I assume you have no bad intentions, you should be safe.

I know how you feel. I'm going to Japan next month for 6 weeks as an exchange student, and I'm not exactly a 'normal' black person, let alone teenage girl, so I'm curious as to what the reactions will be.

Ever read Gaijin Smash.net or Black Tokyo? They're good sources for overseas African-Americans. Or you can go to AALikeThese2, some of the members live there or have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
there is a show that comes on my tv that is called "black life in japan" but i havent watched it.
I've seen a few episodes, they seem to focus more on the experiences of black celebrities like Beyonce, which doesn't really help much, to me. I've seen a black military pilot, black anime artist/enthusiast, etc. But it's more on the background of their careers and how they are perceived.

Basically, it's really 'Black Culture in Japan', not 'life'.

Last edited by AsianAtHeart : 05-03-2009 at 06:27 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
05-03-2009, 06:28 PM

I've been wondering the same thing except for being Middle eastern. I rarely have a a bad racial experience when I go places but it's nice to be reassured.

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Like the others said, even though I can't speak from firsthand experience, you shouldn't worry about it. For the most part, to my understanding anyway, you'll be seen as a "gaijin" in general. I will admit that it's sad that due to media portrayal that some may have a skewed vision of African Americans, but like anyplace, not everyone will treat you rude and such.

That aside, I know what it's like. The whole, "Japanese people don't like black people" thing from family. My aunt was saying stuff like that, which is surprising due to the fact that she used to be in the Navy, and has traveled to many places (although, no places in Asia; only Europe and Africa). I'd ignore them and go.

At least if you face racism in a place like Japan, it's from "not knowing" on behalf of the Japanese, imo, since they rarely encounter "African Americans" and for the most part, it could be a situation where it's because you're foreign, not because you're black. Here in the states, usually those racist to "minorities" are by those who feel that they are superior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAtHeart View Post
I met this black girl who just went to Tokyo for a month who spoke almost-fluent Japanese and spent most of her free time in Harajuku decked out in lolita. She said she had no bad experiences, but she did get the occasional wolf-whistle...
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. How tall is she, btw? I know this is kind of irrelevant, but I'm just very curious in general. I know of some black girls who are into dressing in Lolita fashions, but seems they're all pretty short.
Quote:
Ever read Gaijin Smash.net or Black Tokyo? They're good sources for overseas African-Americans. Or you can go to AALikeThese2, some of the members live there or have been.
Do you go to AALikeThese2? I'm a member on that site. What's your name there, if you are a member there.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

05-03-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. How tall is she, btw? I know this is kind of irrelevant, but I'm just very curious in general. I know of some black girls who are into dressing in Lolita fashions, but seems they're all pretty short.
She was about 5'4, about my height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Do you go to AALikeThese2? I'm a member on that site. What's your name there, if you are a member there.
Yeah, I just use my real name there, --------------

Last edited by AsianAtHeart : 04-22-2016 at 05:19 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAtHeart View Post
She was about 5'4, about my height.
In other words, short, compared to me anyway. =P You don't know how lucky those your height are, seriously!
Quote:
Yeah, I just use my real name there, Nephtiry Bailey.
Cool! I'll add you as a friend on there.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

05-03-2009, 09:46 PM

OP I'm sure you'll be fine there, I've got maori/cook island friends over there (some of who are quite dark skinned) and they say there's less racism over in Japan than in NZ.

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2009, 09:52 PM

The Japanese frown more at Indiscipline, filth than at the kind of race, you are.

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#20 (permalink))
Old
charosian (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to charosian Send a message via Yahoo to charosian Send a message via Skype™ to charosian
05-03-2009, 10:33 PM

I did a study abroad in Hiroshima two summers ago, i was the only black person on the trip,and at the university we stayed at. I didnt receive any different treatment than my classmates. Maybe there was stuff, but I didnt notice it, but, if you look hard enough, you can find anything. I will be returning to japan this year, and maybe since I'll be there longer and in probably different areas, i might experience some, but i just let that stuff slide off, and im sure it wont be as bad as some places.

http://8bitplus.blogspot.com/ Check it out, its fresh!