JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JonBoy888 (Offline)
New to JF

British born chinese in Japan - 07-03-2009, 02:06 AM

Hey all, Ive been looking through these forums and many others in fact but cant find an answer to my question so I hope someone here can help.

Ive heard many stories about the discrimination from the Japanse to foreigners but want to get a broader opinion from you guys on here. My friend who recently took part in an exchange program to Japan as part of his university course which lasted 6 months, he came back and said that in Japan there are two types of foreigners, one type being the europeans, canadians, americans basically anyone caucasian. Then there are the other types of foreigners being those who are of asian descent for example korean, chinese etc.

He said that both groups get treated differently, even tho both groups are in a foreign country the caucasian people are treated better and seen in a more positive light whereas the other group are seen in a more negative light. Is this really true? to that, my main question really is what if you are a bbc (british born chinese) or an abc (american born chinese) are you still portrayed in a more negative light then say someone else who is born in America or britain but has white skin? how would they react if for instance they had negative connotations about you because you looked chinese but couldnt speak a word of it but spoke fluent english?? would they put you in the 1st or 2nd group of foreigners??

Please bare in mind I dont want to start a race war etc etc we as people really dont need it so please sensible answers only! Also please be aware I know that although there is an underlying issue about race in Japan just like there is in any country in the world I want to make it clear that I know that opinions like the ones ive stated above are the minority and do not reflect the Japanese as a whole.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-03-2009, 02:35 AM

In my experience if you are Asian, people assume you speak Japanese. If you are non-Asian (black, white, etc.) many people will expect that you don't speak Japanese. I think that is changing a little, though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy888 View Post
Hey all, Ive been looking through these forums and many others in fact but cant find an answer to my question so I hope someone here can help.

Ive heard many stories about the discrimination from the Japanse to foreigners but want to get a broader opinion from you guys on here. My friend who recently took part in an exchange program to Japan as part of his university course which lasted 6 months, he came back and said that in Japan there are two types of foreigners, one type being the europeans, canadians, americans basically anyone caucasian. Then there are the other types of foreigners being those who are of asian descent for example korean, chinese etc.

He said that both groups get treated differently, even tho both groups are in a foreign country the caucasian people are treated better and seen in a more positive light whereas the other group are seen in a more negative light. Is this really true? to that, my main question really is what if you are a bbc (british born chinese) or an abc (american born chinese) are you still portrayed in a more negative light then say someone else who is born in America or britain but has white skin? how would they react if for instance they had negative connotations about you because you looked chinese but couldnt speak a word of it but spoke fluent english?? would they put you in the 1st or 2nd group of foreigners??

Please bare in mind I dont want to start a race war etc etc we as people really dont need it so please sensible answers only! Also please be aware I know that although there is an underlying issue about race in Japan just like there is in any country in the world I want to make it clear that I know that opinions like the ones ive stated above are the minority and do not reflect the Japanese as a whole.
Hi, I am Canadian Chinese myself, my experience is totally different. While I do speak "well enough" Japanese, I also did tell/show people that I am NOT Japanese, and I definitely didn't feel discriminated when I was in Japan.

A few thoughts to what you said. First, other may disagree, I think "Discrimination" is a bit strong for what you are describing. I THINK the "behavior" people experieinced has to do with the Japanese lack of willingness to accept differences (This is changing though). Their behavior has to do with what they experienced. So its a matter of acceptance, and not discrimination due to race

Now, the ethnicity part of your question, IF people are treated differently, it probably due to poor past experieince with the non Japanese Asian that was residing/visiting Japan. I remember when I was a kid, I used to live around Yokosuka. We had a school trip where we visited Kyoto, and one of temple we visited was Ginkakuji. For those who don't know, Ginkakuji is filled with stone weaved patterns (a sone garden), they put a lot of work into weaving these pattern. During our school trip, there was another group of Asian tourist there (Plus other local tourist, schools, and groups), this Asian tourist group got out, and the parents let loose of their kids. THe kid run up to these stone garden and destroyed all the patterns. The parents did NOTHING. The comments I heard from other was basically "Those uneducated Chinese".

I mean this is just one incident, but its enough to cause people to think negatively of one specific ethnic group.

Just my 2 cents
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JonBoy888 (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Hey guys, thank you for the prompt replies. I have never had first hand experienced living in Japan or been amongst japanese people but have always been fascinated with the culture and way of life. I guess with the incident with the stone pattern would be really annoying for someone like me, as I am british born chinese all my tendencies, behaviours and mannerisms would be of a western european. I was born in England but my ethnic background is chinese so in Japan and because of the colour of my skin I guess I would have fallen into the "uneducated chinese" group right?? I do agree though It really does only take one incident to tarnish positive opinions of an ethnic group. Another question that I want to ask you guys is would the japanese treat an english speaking chinese person different from a native chinese person or are they really both percieved as foreigners??

Last edited by JonBoy888 : 07-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
...there are two types of foreigners, one type being the europeans, canadians, americans basically anyone caucasian...
...You say that you don't want to start a race war... and yet you say something like that. :/

As far as my experience goes, Japanese people do love white people. Everyone loves white people, apparently.

(That was sarcasm.)

LOVE: pass it on
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, thank you for the prompt replies. I have never had first hand experienced living in Japan or been amongst japanese people but have always been fascinated with the culture and way of life. I guess with the incident with the stone pattern would be really annoying for someone like me, as I am british born chinese all my tendencies, behaviours and mannerisms would be of a western european. I was born in England but my ethnic background is chinese so in Japan and because of the colour of my skin I guess I would have fallen into the "uneducated chinese" group right?? I do agree though It really does only take one incident to tarnish positive opinions of an ethnic group. Another question that I want to ask you guys is would the japanese treat an english speaking chinese person different from a native chinese person or are they really both percieved as foreigners??
Nope, they won't be treated any differently. The ability to speak English doesn't give you special treatment. Again, as others pointed out in other thread, non Asian gain more attention because they stand out in the crowd as MINOTRITY there.

Any NON Japanese are percieved as foreigners, there are two things that make you a NON-Foreigner - Born Japanese, Speak Japanese. Anything outside of that are consider foreigners.

A lot of my childhood friends have parents working in the US base, they were not treated any differently than I was. Recent trips to Japan with my Italian friends also indicate the same

The ability to speak English as Asian got me treated just like any other foreigner - like a tourist. In most cases, they are very friendly and polite with Tourist...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JonBoy888 (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
...You say that you don't want to start a race war... and yet you say something like that. :/

As far as my experience goes, Japanese people do love white people. Everyone loves white people, apparently.

(That was sarcasm.)

Apologies if I wasnt clear in my first post, I am not here to start any race war but simply want to find out more about the cultural aspects of Japan, My intentions are not to put any race or ethnic background on any pedestal above or below anyone elses. Im merely trying to understand more about the treatment regarding foreigners be them caucasian, black or asian. Mainly asian because I consider myself British but ethnically chinese, just wondering how that would go down in japan. Thank you all for your contribution.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Apologies if I wasnt clear in my first post, I am not here to start any race war but simply want to find out more about the cultural aspects of Japan, My intentions are not to put any race or ethnic background on any pedestal above or below anyone elses. Im merely trying to understand more about the treatment regarding foreigners be them caucasian, black or asian. Mainly asian because I consider myself British but ethnically chinese, just wondering how that would go down in japan. Thank you all for your contribution.
It's no problem. I just wanted you to be aware of what you'd said. Thanks. =)

LOVE: pass it on
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2009, 01:06 AM

I lived with a British-born Chinese woman for a while when I lived in Yokohama, then a Chinese Canadian when I moved to Tokyo. Neither of them ever complained about ill-treatment- what they did say was that people often assumed they were Japanese, and then got confused for a few seconds when the ethnic Chinese people didn't understand them. (Same with my third generation American Japanese friends who don't speak much Japanese.) Then when the Japanese people clicked, they were treated like any other foreign visitors and tourists, i.e. mostly with politeness.

If you had been with the group that let their kids destroy the sand patterns, then you might have been included in the "those uneducated Chinese" comment. Since you weren't, you will be treated on your own merits for the most part.

Even Caucasian people in Japan occasionally run into discrimination in Japan, so no-one can guarantee you you won't. However it's pretty unlikely, and at least you will blend in more until you start speaking!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-04-2009, 01:25 AM

People in Asia have long memories, and a lot of angst from the war still resides. The feelings which Japanese show towards foreigners are subtle, but are discernible if you pay attention.

Chinese are thought to be more rude than other peoples. There is probably some truth to this, and it may be intentional, as the Chinese have a lot to resent about Japan. Koreans are not held in high esteem, as Koreans generally filled up service related jobs in Japan. Filipinos have an even harder time, and have the most difficulty here.

On the other hand, the Japanese too have long memories, and those from the war still linger. Japan was defeated by America in the war, but rather than feeling resentment (aside from the dropping of the A-bombs), there actually exists some respect. To this day, Americans are probably the group of foreigners which have the easiest time in Japan.

The Japanese have always been proud of their culture, and during the pre-war times, they assumed their culture to be the greatest on earth. Their victories in Asia, particularly in China, the Dutch Indies, and British Singapore reinforced this pride. The dropping of the bombs in 1945 changed everything. Japan had lost. To the Japanese way of thinking, they could not have been defeated by an inferior culture. Their pride prevented this kind of thinking. American culture was embraced after the war, and it was reflected in the music and fashion of Japan in the later 40's and 50's, and still exists to an extent even today.