JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Being black in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/24747-being-black-japan.html)

Compaqmac321 04-25-2009 04:54 AM

Being black in Japan

hello everyone
hey
hows it goin

anyways, you cant tell by looking at my avatar, but i am in fact african american (mixed with native american but you would only see a black person if i didnt tell u lol)
i have a question to ask all those that are living in Japan
can anybody tell me how black ppl are perceived in Japan, all those who live in america know the history around black in the states, and yes throughout my 21 years of living from the time i was 6 to even know ive had my fair share of racism towards myself. i know there is racism throughout the world, im not worried about the rest of the world though, i would just like to know if even in japan is there a bit of prejudice towards african americans, or is it just the fact i am american...
anyways, this might sound like a stupid question, i know theres racism every but i just want to know what its like since i dont live there at all.
let me know, and BE REAL about it!

Tsuwabuki 04-25-2009 05:00 AM

One of my coworkers is black and has not experienced any racism where we live. I have heard stories that caucasians are treated better than those of african descent, but being caucasian myself, if I witnessed any such difference in treatment, it did not register. A somewhat unavoidable consequence of growing up as part of the dominant hegemony.

Compaqmac321 04-25-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki (Post 703896)
One of my coworkers is black and has not experienced any racism where we live. I have heard stories that caucasians are treated better than those of african descent, but being caucasian myself, if I witnessed any such difference in treatment, it did not register. A somewhat unavoidable consequence of growing up as part of the dominant hegemony.

heehhh...ok, thanks for your answer, whenever i tell my mom about it, she always says that japanese ppl dont like black ppl, and i always say BASED OF OF WHAT! lol my moms ignorant though and i usually dont pay much attention to what she says i just laughed, my dads a military man and he's been to asia and he said that he has no bad experience's at all. but that was korea. haha so thats why i want to hear from ppl like you, im just a curious man

Herzeleid 04-30-2009 07:45 AM

I think that japanese girls would love u. U know what i mean?:mtongue:

Tarto 05-03-2009 03:50 AM

I've met a few black guys/girls in Japan and none of them was complaining about racism issues. That said, I am not saying that racism does not exist in Japan. You might get very unlucky and end up in a racist environment, but this is not the norm and it could happen in just any other country.

Japan does not have the same history as you guys have in America, and all foreigners are more or less considered the same here (this is a very approximate statement but it would require pages to fully explain).

I don't think you will have any problem in everyday life, as long as you make the effort to learn the customs and adapt to the Japanese lifestyle.

If you're interested in asking the question to another black guy who lived in Japan, I suggest you contact my friend Jonathan through his blog at Jonathan's Japan Journal • ジョナサンの日本日記.

PS: When it comes to women, yes, foreign men are quite popular here and black men are no exception

alanX 05-03-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herzeleid (Post 707425)
I think that japanese girls would love u. U know what i mean?:mtongue:

StangGuy 05-03-2009 05:26 AM

There is a perception amongst some Japanese that all black people are violent. This comes from the gang culture deptictions in American media that make it over to Japan. However, I'm not sure how widespread this is and imagine it is limited to the same people that think foreigners are the cause of all crime in Japan.

You might also encounter black face or sambo type statuetes. Obviously, Japan doesn't have the history with these types of things that America does so most Japanese see no problem with it.

AnthraxAttack 05-03-2009 08:48 AM

The "black people are criminals" image do exist over there. YouTube - black Japan

But if you are not one of them little hip hop yo's that are loud and rude, you'll be just another gaijin

MMM 05-03-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthraxAttack (Post 708846)
The "black people are criminals" image do exist over there. YouTube - black Japan

But if you are not one of them little hip hop yo's that are loud and rude, you'll be just another gaijin

Please explain how that link from a Japanese comedy show extends the "black people are criminals" image.

AnthraxAttack 05-03-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 708855)
Please explain how that link from a Japanese comedy show extends the "black people are criminals" image.

A bunch of japanese men acting and dressing like black girls, trying to steal a TV and then pulling out a gun and shooting a guy...