LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Zethx (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Zethx
Moving to Tokyo , Japan - 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Hi everyone ,

So im like moving to Japan at the end of the year on request for work and after a few years i will possibly get perm residance im wondering what should i know before living in japan.

Like the table manners where to go what to do for fun what not to do and so on also if someone can teach me the basics of their national languge that would be awsome.

Sorry if i sound like a total noobie just never left my country before and as i have seen from pictures Tokyo looks way diffrent so im like totally wth im i suppost to do when i get there or will i just get lost and not be able to talk with anyone

Hope you guys can give me some tips and advice and so on , thank joo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-16-2009, 10:50 AM

You should post this in the "living in Japan" subsection. This is a general discussion area.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Zethx (Offline)
New to JF

05-16-2009, 11:01 AM

Sorry about that im new to the forums so don't know where everything should go etc , but thank you for helping me!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

05-16-2009, 11:05 AM

Use the search function in the forum, this question has been asked and answerd 100's of times so you'll be able to find a variety of things from many peoples opinions

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Zethx (Offline)
New to JF

05-16-2009, 11:17 AM

Hi Shad0w ,

That might be true but as of such i will be working in "Cyber City" of tokyo know as Akabane or something , also im from South Africa im sure not alot of South African people go to japan so my situation might be a little bit diffrent even though i am white wont my location be a problem since alot of people see our country in a very bad light
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethx View Post
Like the table manners where to go what to do for fun what not to do and so on also if someone can teach me the basics of their national languge that would be awsome.
You'll have to be a lot more specific if you want any help. There are hundreds, if not thousands of books written about Japanese culture and travel so you can't expect us to fill you in with a single post.

My suggestion is that you do your homework first. Read some online trip reports, check out some blogs, do a search on this forum for various topics, etc.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

05-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Don't sweat it. No one in Japan expects foreigners to know anything about the language and culture, and they won't be easily offended by your ignorance.

You'll learn more during your first week in Tokyo than you will asking a hundred questions on this site, so arrive with an open mind and you'll be okay.

If you tell people you are from South Africa they won't think of you in any different light than a foreigner from anywhere else. Most will probably wonder how you can be from anywhere in Africa and not be black.

I've adjusted to life in Japan well enough, and so will you. If you have any questions after you arrive, just ask, people will be happy to help. The only thing I recommend you do now is to study Japanese. You won't learn much between now and the end of the year, but at least you'll have a running start when you get here.