LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-23-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
Well, Nyororin says being an English teacher is a bad idea. It would certainly be the easy option, however I don't want to take the job if it prevents me from understanding japanese culture and socializing with the people.

It doesn't have to be near Tokyo, or in the Kanto region, but I would much prefer it. I am not interested in anime, but I do enjoy live music, and I think Tokyo is best for that? I could be wrong though.
Where did Nyororin say that being an English Teacher is a bad idea. Realistically it is one of the only ideas. Easy? I don't know about that. A job is a job, and there are expectations.

However, there is nothing about being an English teacher that would prevent you from immersing yourself into your local Japanese culture. If anything it would give you more access than someone who was working for a Western corporation.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Where did Nyororin say that being an English Teacher is a bad idea. Realistically it is one of the only ideas. Easy? I don't know about that. A job is a job, and there are expectations.

However, there is nothing about being an English teacher that would prevent you from immersing yourself into your local Japanese culture. If anything it would give you more access than someone who was working for a Western corporation.
I think maybe they mean in another thread?
I have said numerous times in the past that if it`s your goal to learn Japanese and you want to come to Japan to acquire language and cultural skills... Teaching English is far from an ideal path to do so. Depending on the school, a lot of the smaller English conversation places actually strongly discourage their teachers from socializing with the locals so that there is no chance of them using Japanese in class and so they keep their fresh foreign flavor.

Of course that isn`t the case EVERYWHERE, but even when it isn`t a school policy the environment is usually not one conductive to actually learning Japanese and about Japan. You`re put into a group of people who are well known for being extremely negative toward Japan...

But teaching English is one of the few jobs you can get without Japanese skill... It`s a huge toss up though. I always encourage people who have an interest in Japanese language and culture to head down the language school route.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
05-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Living on a teachers pay is easy, even if you are inside Tokyo, if you are a bit carefull. If you dont mind sharing your Shower and kitchen, why not move in a guesthouse (if you stay in the city). I had a very good chance to speak Japanese and interact with Japanese everyday because they lived with me.

I think what people mean with: If you teach you cant get the culture.
Thats about people who go there for the money, dont speak any japanese and always hang out with their fellow teachers in Roppongi.
If you want to, you can experience the culture.

Like somebody said before, you can get other jobs ( i had 2 other jobs) but you will have a very hard time surviving with that money. I lived inside Tokyo and spend around 4500yen a day. That includes food, accomodation and commuting. Here and there some fun or a t-shirt.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:

i think it may depend on who you teach and what part of the culture you will actually experience.

My main experience learning about the culture was with senior classes of 60's and over..

It was like "hello", NO! - NO! Konnichiwa!

Quite funny really.. That's Kyoto for ya! and a lot of FUN

Cheers - Oz
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well, Nyororin says being an English teacher is a bad idea. It would certainly be the easy option, however I don't want to take the job if it prevents me from understanding japanese culture and socializing with the people.

It doesn't have to be near Tokyo, or in the Kanto region, but I would much prefer it. I am not interested in anime, but I do enjoy live music, and I think Tokyo is best for that? I could be wrong though.
Where did Nyororin say being an English teacher is a bad idea?

I am not sure why you would think if you are LIVING in Japan and teaching English there would be a barrier to the full experience of LIVING in japan and interacting with Japanese culture.

I am not sure how big or small you think Japan is but live music is a part of every city and town, no matter what size. Not only Tokyo
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Where did Nyororin say being an English teacher is a bad idea?

I am not sure why you would think if you are LIVING in Japan and teaching English there would be a barrier to the full experience of LIVING in japan and interacting with Japanese culture.

I am not sure how big or small you think Japan is but live music is a part of every city and town, no matter what size. Not only Tokyo
Nyororin mentioned this in another thread.

As Nyororin said, some schools may discourage people from learning too much Japanese, to keep you as foreign as possible, and to discourage Japanese in the classroom. I have also read this from other places too, so I believe it to be a valid point.

Of course, you're right. Just there happens to be a lot of it in Tokyo, and when I check band's websites, Tokyo seems to be the main place they perform. Though if it really is cheaper, I could always live out of the Kanto region and just patiently wait for tours :3 It's why I'm here, looking for suggestions from people firsthand.

Also, a little off topic here, but I might as well ask.

They say it takes a foreigner 6 months to learn to speak Japanese outside of Japan. After 6 months, would you be fluent, or just good enough to carry a decent conversation?

Right now, I could certainly get by myself in the language. So after 6 months of using the language continuously, I'm trying to get an idea of how fluent I would be.

Last edited by Nokutetsu : 05-24-2009 at 08:50 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Nyororin mentioned this in another thread.

As Nyororin said, some schools may discourage people from learning too much Japanese, to keep you as foreign as possible, and to discourage Japanese in the classroom. I have also read this from other places too, so I believe it to be a valid point.

Of course, you're right. Just there happens to be a lot of it in Tokyo, and when I check band's websites, Tokyo seems to be the main place they perform. Though if it really is cheaper, I could always live out of the Kanto region and just patiently wait for tours :3 It's why I'm here, looking for suggestions from people firsthand.

Also, a little off topic here, but I might as well ask.

They say it takes a foreigner 6 months to learn to speak Japanese outside of Japan. After 6 months, would you be fluent, or just good enough to carry a decent conversation?

Right now, I could certainly get by myself in the language. So after 6 months of using the language continuously, I'm trying to get an idea of how fluent I would be.

It appears you want to visit Japan for 1 year because of a band you like? Why even bother to study the language or get a job here? What would be the point? So you can understand the lyrics or read fan magazines in Japanese?

I had written a longer post in reply, but I see it would have been a waste of time. I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean, but help should be offered only it will be taken seriously or be of real use. You are talking about investing a lot of time, money, and traveling to a foreign country and working there for a long period of time because you want to be able to see a band you like?

This is not realistic or remotely sensible, and doesn't merit realistic or sensible advice. Of all the things which Japan has to offer (and there are many), pop culture is the most fleeting superficial; as they say "here today, gone tomorrow". In 5 years you'll have another favorite band; God forbid they sing in Antarctica or Afghanistan... I don't think either country offers a working holiday visa program.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-25-2009, 12:11 AM

6 months to learn Japanese fluently outside Japan? I would say its more like 6 years.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2009, 01:49 AM

Erm, I got more the impression that the main aim isn't to see a particular band but that that was an interest he'd like to maintain whilst in Japan? That seems like a reasonable enough request; I know if I did a working holiday in Japan I'd like to have access to cities with art galleries and events

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nokutetsu (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nokutetsu
05-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
It appears you want to visit Japan for 1 year because of a band you like? Why even bother to study the language or get a job here? What would be the point? So you can understand the lyrics or read fan magazines in Japanese?

I had written a longer post in reply, but I see it would have been a waste of time. I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean, but help should be offered only it will be taken seriously or be of real use. You are talking about investing a lot of time, money, and traveling to a foreign country and working there for a long period of time because you want to be able to see a band you like?

This is not realistic or remotely sensible, and doesn't merit realistic or sensible advice. Of all the things which Japan has to offer (and there are many), pop culture is the most fleeting superficial; as they say "here today, gone tomorrow". In 5 years you'll have another favorite band; God forbid they sing in Antarctica or Afghanistan... I don't think either country offers a working holiday visa program.
Excuse me. I think you have COMPLETELY misunderstood my post.

No. I'm not going to Japan to see 'a band'. I just happen to listen to quite a few, and in general, whenever I check schedules (I have checked about 12) in general it seems to be in Tokyo. Also, when western bands tour, they play in Tokyo, so I am being extremely general. All types of bands, it's just an interest I have. Just becasue I like music doesn't make me an unsensible fangirl.

For the record, I took a japanese language course a while back, and that is where my interest in Japan has developed.

I am traveling to Japan for the people, language and culture. I came here looking for sensible suggestions, and I'm more than willing to live outside of the Kanto region. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Last edited by Nokutetsu : 05-26-2009 at 12:13 AM.