LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
How is that sexism? By that logic bathrooms would be illegal. There is an reason why there is some separation of the two sexes, and it's based on biology. In respect to actual sexism charges, life is simply not fair more so when you are an very small minority.
Agreed. I definitely wouldn't want men in the ladies toilets...

It's just not practical in some cases. I'm undecided about concerts and such, as most of my friends are male and if that was the case I'd always end up being on my own.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ningyou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Ningyou
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM

She wasn't talking about restrooms >.< she said BESIDES restrooms. I understand why bathrooms need to be separated, that's common sense.

But she said that Versailles concerts sometimes are exclusively male or exclusively female. THAT is pretty wrong in my opinion.

And regardless of if people like her (and a lot of people I know) are in the minority or not, they're still people and their feelings still need to be taken into account.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningyou View Post
She wasn't talking about restrooms >.< she said BESIDES restrooms. I understand why bathrooms need to be separated, that's common sense.

But she said that Versailles concerts sometimes are exclusively male or exclusively female. THAT is pretty wrong in my opinion.

And regardless of if people like her (and a lot of people I know) are in the minority or not, they're still people and their feelings still need to be taken into account.
The thing is though, we were talking about WHY the concerts were separate. The most likely reason is to prevent any sort of sexual assault, violation, etc. It`s very hard to keep people safe when they`re all mashed up together at a concert. It`s 10 times worse than the most crowded train at rush hour. I don`t believe it`s for any sort of exclusivity - but rather to protect all the fans... Because, as I said, even if you have an internal gender opposite of that of your body - you can still be assaulted or assault with those parts.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Ningyou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Ningyou
05-27-2009, 02:53 PM

That is very true and I understand your point. But who knows why they actually do things like this. It could be for safety, but I've never been to a concert that was exclusively male or female. It's always both.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

05-29-2009, 04:08 AM

Thank you for your help and opinions, everyone! ^_^

Most of their concerts are for both genders, though, and they are even having one soon (or just had one) that was for foreigners only.

I am really curious about other places and situations where sex segregation may occur. I am graduating from high school tomorrow, and I have been on quite a few school buses here in the U.S. where females sit on one side and males on the other, or just where opposite sex cannot sit together. I have been forced to move because of my sex. Are there things or places like that where this often occurs in Japan?

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)

Last edited by YoshimiTheEthereal : 05-29-2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Thanks
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-29-2009, 08:46 AM

In England we have single sex schools. Sometimes an all girl school will have a partner school which is all boys.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
Thank you for your help and opinions, everyone! ^_^

Most of their concerts are for both genders, though, and they are even having one soon (or just had one) that was for foreigners only.

I am really curious about other places and situations where sex segregation may occur. I am graduating from high school tomorrow, and I have been on quite a few school buses here in the U.S. where females sit on one side and males on the other, or just where opposite sex cannot sit together. I have been forced to move because of my sex. Are there things or places like that where this often occurs in Japan?
That just sounds odd to me...riding the school bus and females on one side while males are on the other. I know that people may choose to do that because they might feel more comfortable sitting with those of the same gender, but I never heard of boys and girls being separated in a mandatory manner. Are you sure that was the situation?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Tangram
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM

I live in the US. In elementary and middle school, gender segregation was a big thing. Most of the buses I rode on were either segregated by side or at least by seat. About half of the years I was in school, lunch was the same way. I've never been in a PE class where boys and girls played together (unless it was free time recess, outside). High school field trips were pretty often segregated, on the bus, out to eat, at amusement parks, etc.

I've been to concerts where there are sections where only girls can go, and the rest is free-for-all. That's for the protection of the girls who aren't totally comfortable being lost in a crowd of guys. I couldn't imagine why concerts would be totally segregated though.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-30-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I have to say, that concert thing has to be the first forced separation I have heard of. I`m going to guess it was to fit the theme of the concert or the vision of the band.

In normal life there is no significant segregation. Toilets of course, along with changing rooms, public baths (but there are unsegregated ones too) and the like... There are female only train cars, but the rest of the cars aren`t male only so there is nothing stopping you from riding on them.
If you want to use the men`s restroom, and get into the men`s bath, etc - well, you`ll encounter problems. But otherwise I really haven`t heard of anything like that.
Wow!

That's interesting! Have you ever been to one? What sort of people typically go to these baths? I mean I can imagine it being for naturists etc...
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-30-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Wow!

That's interesting! Have you ever been to one? What sort of people typically go to these baths? I mean I can imagine it being for naturists etc...
I haven`t actually gotten into one, but I have been to one... Or rather a facility with one.
It`s pretty much all old people - the same sort of crowd you`d see at a little old sento. I guess either the bath has been there and like that forever so they don`t care - or they`re too old to care. Or both.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.