JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

Gender/ Sex Separation - 05-26-2009, 03:56 AM

I have a serious question about Japan: In Japan, is it common to go to places where people are separated by sex, besides restrooms and dressing rooms? I noticed that the band Versailles~Philharmonic Quintet has had concerts where only men are allowed or only women are allowed, and so serious to an extent that they actually check peoples' IDs to check their sex, so I was wondering.

I really want to know because it hurts me more deeply than anyone can understand to see people separated because of sex. I am androgynous, I have been since kindergarten or earlier, so it has always really affected me to be put with females, as my gender is not female, only my sex.

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-26-2009, 05:19 AM

I have to say, that concert thing has to be the first forced separation I have heard of. I`m going to guess it was to fit the theme of the concert or the vision of the band.

In normal life there is no significant segregation. Toilets of course, along with changing rooms, public baths (but there are unsegregated ones too) and the like... There are female only train cars, but the rest of the cars aren`t male only so there is nothing stopping you from riding on them.
If you want to use the men`s restroom, and get into the men`s bath, etc - well, you`ll encounter problems. But otherwise I really haven`t heard of anything like that.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

05-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
I have a serious question about Japan: In Japan, is it common to go to places where people are separated by sex, besides restrooms and dressing rooms? I noticed that the band Versailles~Philharmonic Quintet has had concerts where only men are allowed or only women are allowed, and so serious to an extent that they actually check peoples' IDs to check their sex, so I was wondering.

I really want to know because it hurts me more deeply than anyone can understand to see people separated because of sex. I am androgynous, I have been since kindergarten or earlier, so it has always really affected me to be put with females, as my gender is not female, only my sex.
some of dir en grey concerts are also like that. i have always wonder why they did it tho....

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#4 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
05-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
some of dir en grey concerts are also like that. i have always wonder why they did it tho....
Maybe some naked party with male stuff you know...

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

05-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Maybe some naked party with male stuff you know...
But they also have -female only- ones.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

05-26-2009, 05:16 PM

I`m thinking the most likely reason for concerts to be like that is to prevent any sort of sexual things happening during the concert. It would be really easy to grope somebody in the crowd and there be no way to stop it.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
05-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m thinking the most likely reason for concerts to be like that is to prevent any sort of sexual things happening during the concert. It would be really easy to grope somebody in the crowd and there be no way to stop it.
What about couples? And I don't think a girl should go alone in such concerts.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ningyou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Ningyou
05-27-2009, 10:49 AM

I can't really help you with this problem, but I can relate with you. I can be very androgynous as well, and I know a lot of people that are in transition or that just are more genderless than most. So I completely get where you're coming from, and frankly, it should be illegal to have "only male " or "only female" anything--it's sexism and it's not fair for the people that don't really fit into one specific category.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningyou View Post
I can't really help you with this problem, but I can relate with you. I can be very androgynous as well, and I know a lot of people that are in transition or that just are more genderless than most. So I completely get where you're coming from, and frankly, it should be illegal to have "only male " or "only female" anything--it's sexism and it's not fair for the people that don't really fit into one specific category.
How is that sexism? By that logic bathrooms would be illegal. There is an reason why there is some separation of the two sexes, and it's based on biology. In respect to actual sexism charges, life is simply not fair more so when you are an very small minority.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

05-27-2009, 12:18 PM

No matter how you feel, your body (except for a very very tiny minority) is going to be biologically one gender or the other.

Even if you are 100% male on the inside - if you have female genitalia, you can be raped just like any typical female. Saying that you feel male is not going to help protect you physically, which I`m willing to bet is the entire reason for this.

It`s not going to help others to be less worried about sexual issues if you`re a female in a male body. To the other typical females, you`re going to look like a guy who might do something or other... And as there is no test to see if it`s true, you could just be some pervert wanting to get up close and personal with girls...