JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kushmirc (Offline)
New to JF

Accounting in Japan? - 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM

I'm thinking about becoming an accountant here in the USA. I used to teach English in Japan and really loved living in Japan. Does anyone know if it is possible to find a job as an accountant in Japan? I speak/read Japanese (JLPT 1) but I know that to be certified as any time of accountant in Japan, passing the tests will be very difficult, I'm certainly not like a native speaker. If I'm just certified as an American CPA, are there enough American companies in Japan for me to feel comfortable about finding work there? Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Interesting question, since I also have an accounting background. I wonder what criteria American companies use when considering staff for transfer, if none of the people under consideration are fluent. I know that when possible they hire local Japanese who are already accountants, but there are times when an American employee has a skill that is specifically needed in a Japanese office.

I have encountered this twice in finance companies, but both times the only Americans being considered because of the their business skills were also of Japanese descent and spoke Nihongo as their second language so there wasn't any issue.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-28-2009, 03:31 AM

If you have the JLPT1 under your belt, you should be able to study for the 簿記 certification (which is what you`ll be wanting to get unless you plan to go into some specific field of accounting like 税務 - you`ll need 税務会計 for that) without much difficulty. My husband has the certification (he got it just for the fun of it, apparently), and there isn`t much of any 専門用語 involved. What little there is would definitely be within the level of something you`d pick up naturally while studying for the thing.

It`s a fairly popular certification to get, as pretty much every company out there has a use for it... There are even study tools for it out on the DS.

I can`t judge what the market would be for a foreign accountant - but it could definitely be in your favor if the company wants someone who could, for example, both help with translation/international dealing on one hand while doing accounting inside when that sort of thing isn`t active.

Good luck!

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kushmirc (Offline)
New to JF

02-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Thank you very much TalnSG and Nyororin. I tried checking out the daijob.com website, and I did see plenty of job postings there, so that's encouraging. Still hard to tell whether they have a Japanese person in mind when they post the ads but....
Really interesting about the Boki certification, I'll definitely look into that, it would be a great thing to work on getting on the side, I've got time since I'm basically just starting out!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Hey, what is the international accounting standards certification versus the US? Also, isn't the US supposed to be moving towards adopting the international practices?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
taimoorh (Offline)
New to JF

03-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Many countries have adopted International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) as standard accounting procedures. Most listed companies on various Stock Exchanges require compliance with these in addition to audited financials. UK, EU and many Asian countries including Australia either already use IFRSs or will be compliant within the next few years. I don't know what Canada uses but US is still sticking to their GAAP for now.

In fact, my firm has been helping many local companies to get out of their outdated accounting policies and transition to IFRS. This includes not only training existing staff of our clients, but also helping them with their accounting system to usually make reports or do the accounting entries in compliance with IFRSs.

Of course I'm not part of the transition team, it's a bitch to get it done.

I think ACCA is the most famous/ widely accepted International accounting qualification. As far as Masters in any specific field within Accounting, everything goes I suppose.

www.de-culture.com
Trance|Anime|Games
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-03-2009, 06:24 AM

My GF is also an accountant, working for an American bank in Tokyo. Bilingual people with accounting experience are often needed within the HR departments of foreign companies with offices in Japan, so you might take a look in that direction.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kushmirc (Offline)
New to JF

Working in Japan, Accountant - 08-14-2009, 04:25 PM

I'm still a student, but I'm hoping that someday I will be able to work in Japan. I have a friend that said that the best way would be to work with an American company that has locations there.
My question is that if an Accountant works for a company with branches in a foreign country, would we necessarily be able to re-locate to that country? Or would all the accounting work for that branch still simply be done at home (in the U.S.), what do you think?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushmirc View Post
I'm still a student, but I'm hoping that someday I will be able to work in Japan. I have a friend that said that the best way would be to work with an American company that has locations there.
My question is that if an Accountant works for a company with branches in a foreign country, would we necessarily be able to re-locate to that country? Or would all the accounting work for that branch still simply be done at home (in the U.S.), what do you think?
Depends on the company. I think the chances of being hired in the US on a Monday and being put on a plane for your accounting job in Tokyo on Tuesday are slim and none. Either you would be transferred after a long stint in your American office or the Japan office would advertise for accountants in Japan (English speaking Japanese or foreigners already living in Japan).

I would go for the JET Program or some other English teaching gig.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 11:01 PM

It really depends on the company.

My company has a huge division in Japan but I've been told that I'd have to quit my Canadian division and apply for a Japanese position if I wanted to be "transferred".

Or here's a better idea. Find a job which you want to spend the rest of your life doing. If it so happen to send you to Japan, it's just icing on the cake!