JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sean420 (Offline)
New to JF

Red face Marijuana Activism in Japan? - 06-12-2009, 05:40 AM

I'm a frequent marijuana smoker and I know Japan is very strict on their drug laws, but how is the marijuana legalization movement in Japan (if it even exists)?

I really want to spend a few years at least in Japan during or after university but giving up smoking for that amount of years is not something I really wish to do... is there any chance it will become more tolerable in the coming years?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-12-2009, 05:57 AM

I doubt it. There was a recent case about university students found with marajuana. If anything, the laws may get stricter (if possible).
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sean420 (Offline)
New to JF

06-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyk8703 View Post
I doubt it. There was a recent case about university students found with marajuana. If anything, the laws may get stricter (if possible).
That is really unfortunate. Alcohol doesn't really agree with me and I much prefer marijuana as my mind-opening vice of choice... perhaps one day.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-12-2009, 08:44 AM

A mind which needs external chemical stimulation "to open" is not the kind of mind a thinking person needs.

You will not live to be old enough to see marijuana tolerated in Japan. Japan does not want the kind of drug problems which America and other countries have, so drug laws are very strict, and they are mercilessly enforced. People who are arrested with even a tiny amount of marijuana will find their names in the nationwide papers, and may get to see themselves on the tv news as well.

5 foreigners were arrested for, or admitted to possession of marijuana over the last several months. 2 were Russian Sumo wrestlers, one was a businessman, the others were university teachers. All got to see their names and pictures in the news before they were ceremoniously deported and banned from ever returning to Japan. What's more, their actions hurt the reputations of their employers and sponsors, who had to apologize publicly, as well as pay restitution to apartment owners and other creditors when their employees were deported.

The bad thing about being arrested in Japan is that you simply disappear. You can be held for 2 weeks without charge, and they are not required to to let you contact anyone, even a lawyer. You will be deported without getting a chance to make any arrangements, more than likely in the clothes you were wearing when you were arrested. You won't be given a chance to go to your apartment and pack, or go to the bank and withdraw your money.

If you think Japan's laws are tough, you should try Singapore or Thailand, where you'll be beaten publicly and forced to serve jail time before being deported. In China drug users are treated harshly, while dealers are given noisy public "trials" where they are quickly found guilty and sentenced to death. There are no appeals, when you leave the courtroom you are taken directly to the execution grounds.

Think very carefully about how using any kind of drugs when you are traveling or working overseas, for every horror story you have heard there are many more that you haven't. You don't want to end up having one of your own to tell.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean420 View Post
That is really unfortunate. Alcohol doesn't really agree with me and I much prefer marijuana as my mind-opening vice of choice... perhaps one day.
I am going to go ahead and agree 100% with Sangetsu on this one.

Planning on going to Japan? Regular pot-smokers need not apply. I have literally seen pot possessors disappear off the face of the Japanese earth. Banned permanently from re-entry. If you need to smoke pot that bad, don't come to Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

06-12-2009, 09:53 AM

If you are caught with it and are lucky you'll get the 22 days held without charge and then deported. You'll sign anything after 8 days of sleep deprivation. If you're a real winner, you'll be jailed for 2 years, then deported.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-12-2009, 01:45 PM

I was the head of the THC ministry in Japan (yes, I am a minister. Rev. Dr. is my legal title). Cannabis has been used in EVERY major religion and was used (and in Buddhism still used in some places outside of Japan) in Japan by Shinto and Buddhist practitioners. This was changed after WWII when the Americans occupied Japan. We want to change laws by using freedom of religion (Japan's is almost the same as America's, but you see how well that is working in America) to worship using Cannabis. Japan has bought into America's lies about it and most Japanese believe that it is as bad as heroin. I met many people who smoked in Japan and wanted to join, but fear of prosecution made them decline. Many smoker live on farms in the hills and grow it themselves, but city people take more of a risk.
I never smoked while I was there. As a foreigner you have no rights and the police would love to put you on the news as the "Drug Crazed Gaijin" to make foreigners look worse than they already have.
DON'T DO IT! It is not worth the risk.
THC ministry no longer has a branch in Japan after I left. Japan may change their thinking after the US legalizes it. That may be sooner than you think.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sean420 (Offline)
New to JF

06-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Sangetsu, I am completely aware of the harsh drug laws and would not bother trying to obtain marijuana if I was in Japan. There are no physically addictive properties to marijuana, so quitting for any period of time won't be a problem (it hasn't been in the past).

Marijuana is illegal in most countries on this planet and being a frequent smoker those are risks that must be accepted. Fortunately I live in Canada so these aren't real issues for me, there is no charge against possession of small amounts. But should I take a trip to Japan, as I said above, I would definitely not be involved with something so illegal.

Anyways, thank you everybody for the replies. This hasn't changed whether I'm going to Japan or not, it's merely influenced what i'll be doing in my free time.

P.S.
Also... it's a plant, it grows, you cut it, you smoke it. That is all. No laboratories or extensive chemistry knowledge required, plus it's safer (health-wise) than cigarettes and alcohol, that's also probably why it's been used in nearly every religion and culture for thousands of years.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sean420 (Offline)
New to JF

06-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am going to go ahead and agree 100% with Sangetsu on this one.

Planning on going to Japan? Regular pot-smokers need not apply.
I just plan on quitting when I go, I don't have a dependence on it, or need it for any medical reasons.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ecwsickboy (Offline)
JF Regular

06-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Well, i will keep this short and sweet, while i dont like Japans draconian Marijuana laws(i work for a medical Cannabis Dispensary in San francisco ca) Its their country and their laws. if you are going to Japan Dont smoke Marijuana, simple really

Life of distructive taste
I Choose
to walk amongst the waste
it was your heart...
lost in the dark
call off the chase...