JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
Renewing Your Visa...(O_o) - 06-17-2009, 06:54 AM

So...I have uhmm...let me start at the beginning I guess. I noticed too late that my visa was about to expire. I am on a pre-college student visa, and it expires the 18th of June. (In other words...tomorrow...O_o)

I figured this out though last week, and on the 10th, submited the passport/money/documents to the Language School I am studying at, and they sent the visa off to be processed.

Technically...I "applied" before it expired...but I don't know if that's going to help me any. I heard it takes 3 weeks to a month from the staff at the school, so I'll wait that long. However! When I finally get the documents back, what do I do then? Do I have to take that file/document with me to the Ward Office, and then apply for a new card? If so, they're going to notice when my visa expired...and I don't have the $$ for a trip to the states (or korea) for 2 weeks, nor do I have the $$ to pay for whatever fees they are going to charge me...

So I guess what this Thread is for, me detailing the troubles that my procrastination has brought upon me. And any others that are searching for this information, that I can provide some help when this is all over...

So, questions real quick:

1) As long as I don't get "visa-checked," I should be okay until the documents come in, right? It's not like the immigration is watching every person's visa expiring term, and will contact the apartment agency, school, etc etc about where I am, right? They have better things to do, right? Because I'm still going to go to school every day...I added money to this economy, lol, so I'm getting an education!

2) Once the documents come in, Do I need to take them to the Ward Office with my...what will be an expired visa as of tomorrow, and apply for a new card?

3) Shi*...I just realized I'm taking the EJU on Sunday...and I need to show my card don't I...oh fuc*...

Anybody have condolences or horror stories? lol...O_o
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Bilgewater (Offline)
New to JF

06-17-2009, 07:18 AM

No experience with this, but seem to recall reading somewhere that a letter of apology helps to smooth the bureaucratic wheels.

If I were you, I would go to the immigration office immediately and prepare to do a whole lot of sumimasening and onegaishimasuing with lots and lots of bowing with explanations on how you have come to such a sorry state of affairs.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-17-2009, 07:31 AM

If your visa is in the application process, you SHOULD have gotten a stamp in your passport to this effect. If you have not, then I am a bit concerned... If you have the stamp then it will basically extend your visa until you either receive a new one or are denied a renewal.
Show your passport with the stamp if there is some reason to present your visa info.
If you did not receive a stamp, then your visa is not being processed, and once it expires you are out of luck. If there is no stamp saying you`re being processed, contact your school and make arrangements to GET THE STAMP. Your school could be sitting on the application/papers for all we know - and once the visa actually expires, unless it is in processing you can no longer renew.

However, if I recall correctly, you can request to be changed over to a tourist visa after expiration if all else fails. At least that was a possibility back years ago.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

06-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the advice Nyororin. I gave the school my documents last week, so included in that was the passport, so since they needed it, and didn't just scan it, I'm assuming the stamp was put in...However, it looks like I need to ask them to give it back to me with the stamp in it, as they still have it. I'm not 100% sure if they just have it, or if it was mailed off with the rest of the documents...

I'll ask tomorrow...but the stamp thing would save my life. As it is, I'll go either to the Immigration Office tomorrow, or the local ward, and see what they recommend, after confirming with the school.

I don't want to get deported, so I'll definitely be going through the routine, lol...

すみません、すみません…本当にすみません…
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-17-2009, 02:08 PM

No letter of apology will work, if your visa expires, you are screwed. With any luck, your passport received an "in-process" stamp of some type when your school submitted the paperwork for the visa.

Your ward office will probably not be able to give you much advice, more than likely they'll simply tell you to go to the immigration office. If you are anywhere near Tokyo, the main office in Shinagawa is the quickest and best place to go.

You should never have a third party submit/process your paperwork (unless you are outside Japan and overseas at the time). Get your school, employer, or whatever to give you the necessary forms/tax records, and take them to immigration yourself. That way you won't be apart from your passport for even one day. They'll put a stamp in your passport saying that your visa paperwork is being processed, and you won't have any doubts.

If you are walking around Japan now with no passport and no gaijin card, you can be detained by the police and held until someone can bring one or other to the police station (or immigration detention center). If they don't bring the paperwork quickly enough, you might find yourself deported.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

06-23-2009, 01:36 PM

I can't believe I didn't put a reply up here O_o.

This is how it went for me. In reality, it's no big deal. I don't have my passport, and I have an expired visa. But I'm safe. ^_^. Here's why:

My visa was set to expire on the 18th, *wednesday last week* and I applied for the new visa/extension/whatever you want to call it, one week before the expiration date.

On the 18th, the day of my visa expiration, I went to the office to confim if everything went alright. They told me it usually takes 3 weeks to a month, and during this time they need to hold onto my passport, so that when the extension comes in, THEN they can stamp the passport, and it will give me xxx amount of time to go to the local ward office and take care of business. (which seems a little odd, as they don't need the passport except for when the visa comes in to stamp it...but I saw it on the 18th, so they have it in a nice safe if I need it.)

So, instead of a stamped passport on the 18th (day of expiration), I just received a slip of paper that was stamped, and said pretty much I was waiting for the visa to come in. There is no expiration date, so it's like a free visa for as long as you want...but if a police officer looks at it, after one month from the issue date, he'd be pretty suspicious O_o.

Long story short, it was NO problem whatsoever. As long as I applied for my visa extension before my current ones expiration date, the school takes care of the rest. (also on the paper is my attendance, and I was at 176 days out of 177 days attendance, ^_^)

So yeah...now I'm just waiting for the real deal to come in, then they stamp my passport, and it's off to the Ward office. No biggie if you apply one day before your visa expires. (but save yourself from a hell of worries by doing it 1-2 months early)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM

Glad you gave us an update.

Personally though, I would be absolutely TERRIFIED to have my passport in anyone`s hand but my own. No matter who they are. There are way too many bad things that can happen... And from what I know, anywhere reputable should never supposed to ask to hold on to your passport for any reason. I believe there is even some policy/law against it. It should always either be in your hand or in your sight.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2009, 01:43 PM

They never kept my passport and you never should surrender yours. If you are asked for it by the police and don't have access to it you can be in trouble. Try to get it back. They should have stamped it to show you applied for it.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

If you stay long enough that you have to renew your visa again, you would be wise to do it yourself. Get the paperwork you need one month before your visa expires. You'll need a form filled out and hanko'd by school or employer. If you are employed/self employed, you'll need an original copy of your tax form as well.

Take these papers and your passport to the immigration office. They'll give you an application to fill out, and a post card (you'll need to buy a stamp for the postcard, and payment stamps for the renewal application, these are available for sale in the same building). Once these items are filled out, they'll be checked, and then your passport will receive an "in process" stamp.

In a week or so the postcard will arrive in your mailbox telling you your visa is ready. Go back to the immigration office, get your new visa, and you are done. If you arrive early in the morning, the process should take no longer than 30 minutes for each visit. It's a much better option than letting someone else keep your passport for three or more weeks.