(#11 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
06-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t really think so. Some of these people are incredibly fast. And I mean fast - on par with calculator fast.
Once they have the skill, it apparently helps a lot with calculating in your head. You`ll see people doing math while moving their fingers like while they use an abacus - and coming up with an accurate answer very quickly. I believe it links the visual of the abacus to the abstract of the numbers in a way that makes math easier for more "visual" people.

Better than just typing in numbers on a calculator, in my opinion.
Using abacus may helps you calculating faster, but it takes a lot of time learning it, but I would like to know how correct the answers of those kids are, cause speed isn't everything^^ And btw. I never learned to use abacus, to be true, i even never saw them in real just on tv (except this one time in elementary school when the teachers told us how they had to learn calculating... i never had to use them either I did everything in my mind or used a calculator^^)

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece
(#12 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanis View Post
I would like to know how correct the answers of those kids are, cause speed isn't everything
Believe me, I was used to trained in abacus. Abacus also functions as a secondary "memory aide" that it is possible to calculate fast with an abacus if you are an expert.