JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
winds (Offline)
New to JF

Prison in Japan - 02-12-2007, 03:47 PM

I know this seems like a stupid question, but any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

What would happen if the police in Tokyo were to catch me with some weed on me, not much, maybe 2 dimes or something. How long would they put me in jail for? Would I be charged? Would they treat me like crap in the jail?
Also, im not sure if this would change the effect but I am Japanese and have dual citizenship, meaning both Japan and Canada.

Thanks guys.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Gerard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Gerard Send a message via Skype™ to Gerard
02-12-2007, 04:01 PM

nothing would happen...
Jail for 2 dimes = NoWay

u can smoke ur week in the public overthere and nothing happens... most peopels over there don't even know what weed is anyway.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gerard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Anyone got any idea of the penalties for a non-Japanese citizen if found sleeping rough, on a rooftop or in a doorway or something?
Yeah... a 14 yearly old girl would come to you and trying to wake u up while saying Oni-Chan
and when u finally awake she whould say Ecchi...

thats the true penalty of a non-Japanese citizen found sleeping on a rooftop or in a doorway
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Gerard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2007, 05:24 PM

they prob. take u to the imigration office and try to get u out from japan as fast as possible
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds View Post
I know this seems like a stupid question, but any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

What would happen if the police in Tokyo were to catch me with some weed on me, not much, maybe 2 dimes or something. How long would they put me in jail for? Would I be charged? Would they treat me like crap in the jail?
Also, im not sure if this would change the effect but I am Japanese and have dual citizenship, meaning both Japan and Canada.

Thanks guys.
It would be two months in jail followed by deportation for any amount. And yeah, the police do know what it is. How would I know? Some English teachers are idiots and I happen to know one or two.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
winds (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Are you sure its 2 months followed by deportation?
I heard it was one month mandatory, then if you get charged it could be another 3-5 years. If not, then they send you on the next plane out to your home country.

The reason i'm asking this is because its actually happening to a friend of mine right now. He was supposed to come home (to canada) mid-march of this year. But apparently he was arrested last week or so for posession of drugs, im not even sure at this point which drug or how much. So I really want to know whats going to happen to him.

This news is really depressing and im hoping they just end up deporting him instead of charging him.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-13-2007, 12:54 AM

3-5 years sounds a bit harsh. Maybe that sort of sentencing has something to do with intent to distribute or something. Because if he is caught with the drugs he will definitely be charged with possession, but they would need evidence of him trying to sell it to make the case for intent to distribute.

I only know about the two months followed by deportation because it happened to a teacher in my area. I don't know all the details of drug laws in Japan, only what I have heard in the past.

Let me add a little bit of advice though to any and all reading this post. When you are charged with possession of illegal drugs in a foreign country, you are subject to their laws and many times your country has a policy that specifically states that they will not help you in this type of circumstance. Aside from torture and maybe the death penalty, they can probably lock you up for however long they choose to do so.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-13-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
nothing would happen...
Jail for 2 dimes = NoWay

u can smoke ur week in the public overthere and nothing happens... most peopels over there don't even know what weed is anyway.
You`re joking right?

Japan LOVES to catch and charge people for drugs. I`ve heard of people being jailed for months, then deported just for having a single joint in their bag.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Gerard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You`re joking right?

Japan LOVES to catch and charge people for drugs. I`ve heard of people being jailed for months, then deported just for having a single joint in their bag.
yeah well.. they can't tell weather weed is a drug or not lol
it would be obvious if i were sniffing white powder in the public of course
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
02-21-2007, 06:22 PM

I think it´s like in other countries (expect the netherlands ) you go for some days in the jail and if there are to much drugs for the police to sniff you go to your home country ok a joke...^^ i think a month or two in the jail and if you have some policy record you may get expelled but 3-5 years? where are you living?