LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I don't know about women, but I've read blog with a male teacher who described kids making a game out of who could grab his ding-dong the most during the day. It was pretty funny to read, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
That was AZ. He also talks about students coming up behind him and trying to stick their fingers up his butt while yelling "Kancho!" (enema). Strange kids.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
That was AZ. He also talks about students coming up behind him and trying to stick their fingers up his butt while yelling "Kancho!" (enema). Strange kids.
Yeah, they did do that too. I guess the kids had another idea of what people's personal boundaries are.

LOVE: pass it on
(#23 (permalink))
Old
mitsuki18 (Offline)
\(^ ^)/

Send a message via ICQ to mitsuki18 Send a message via AIM to mitsuki18
07-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornTobyWilde View Post
Wait a second, is that actually true? I honestly can't imagine people not being offended by other people commenting on the size of their nose, for example.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuki18 View Post
Wait a second, is that actually true? I honestly can't imagine people not being offended by other people commenting on the size of their nose, for example.
He's talking about experiences he's had that have shocked him.

These are things people would have said to him or things he has seen. I could write a similar piece about Thailand.

There is the international impression, and then the fact it isn't so on the ground.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-09-2009, 09:48 AM

All of the above examples are true in my experience.

I don't teach elementary, but the coworkers I have that do tell me they have had the above experiences.

I am surprised not at all by the "private-grabbing" as that is fairly normal in my experience, even at the junior high level.

If a student gets a crush on you, watch out!
(#26 (permalink))
Old
BjornTobyWilde (Offline)
New to JF

07-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post

These are things people would have said to him or things he has seen. I could write a similar piece about Thailand.
Just out of interest, what kinds of things happen in Thailand? Similar stuff?

To me, the interesting things about Japan are its self-image and its reputation overseas. I think a lot of people come here expecting ultra-obedient kids and extreme politeness everywhere they go, which is of course isn't going to be the case anywhere. It makes all the everyday stuff mentioned in this thread quite a shock when you first arrive.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-10-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Just out of interest, what kinds of things happen in Thailand? Similar stuff?
Hehehe, where do I start? It is difficult for me to write it in a funny way.

Just some examples (these are all things they claim not to do);

They burn books (this is a democracy, aparently).

They only respect the law when it suits them.

They only respect a vote ballet when it goes in their favor; minorities here have changed fairly elected governments using money and military force, even though that wasn't the wish of the majority (recently; the illegal government is still in power).

They call this place the "Land of Smiles"; smiles are all fake here, they just want your money.

They brag about being so polite people; I refuse to go to KFC, McDonalds or Burger King anymore, simply I am sick of people pushing in front of me in the line. It is funny, but, as soon as you tap them on the shoulder and look them in the eye then they back off, so they knew what they were doing. They only have manners when eye contact is being made, like a dog. Another example of poor manners whenever they don't have to look you in the eye is driving on the road. Ihave been intentionally pushed off the road on my motorbike and into the gutter before by people in utes. Not polite at all.

You can also go to jail for spitting here, as it is considered dirty. This is funny, because it is not uncommon they share saliva covered spoons with each other when eating, anyway.

Just stuff like this. They claim many things about themself, and are such proud people. Really, it is a complete mess.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#28 (permalink))
Old
BjornTobyWilde (Offline)
New to JF

07-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Hehehe, where do I start? It is difficult for me to write it in a funny way.

They call this place the "Land of Smiles"; smiles are all fake here, they just want your money.

They brag about being so polite people; I refuse to go to KFC, McDonalds or Burger King anymore, simply I am sick of people pushing in front of me in the line. It is funny, but, as soon as you tap them on the shoulder and look them in the eye then they back off, so they knew what they were doing. They only have manners when eye contact is being made, like a dog. Another example of poor manners whenever they don't have to look you in the eye is driving on the road. Ihave been intentionally pushed off the road on my motorbike and into the gutter before by people in utes. Not polite at all.

You can also go to jail for spitting here, as it is considered dirty. This is funny, because it is not uncommon they share saliva covered spoons with each other when eating, anyway.

Just stuff like this. They claim many things about themself, and are such proud people. Really, it is a complete mess.
Wow, sounds a bit harsh Tenchu! Daily life in Japan is actually pretty sweet for foreigners IMO. Sounds like Thailand's a lot tougher. Hey, at least people smile even if not everyone means it. We brits don't even pretend to like each other, even if we're working in shops and being paid to be nice!
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Wow, sounds a bit harsh Tenchu! Daily life in Japan is actually pretty sweet for foreigners IMO. Sounds like Thailand's a lot tougher. Hey, at least people smile even if not everyone means it. We brits don't even pretend to like each other, even if we're working in shops and being paid to be nice!
Yeah, I hate fake stuff.

I went back to Australia for just 2 days not long ago. I went to the supermarket and the girls kept asking "And how are you, sir?" and "Are you having a good day?"

I was like "What the fuck?" As if she cares...