LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-31-2009, 02:22 AM

Here ya go.

Japanese TV news reports on poor working conditions of foreign English teachers | Japan Probe
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2009, 12:30 PM

Yes, the wonderful life of an ALT in Japan. A school board pays big bucks to a dispatch agency, who then keeps the lion's share and gives what's left to an inexperienced, recently graduated "teacher" who has a degree in something like basket weaving. This is done intentionally.

A few years ago laws were passed to regulate dispatch companies and their use by boards of education. The law states that after 1 year of working for the school board through the dispatch agency, the school board is supposed to hire the teacher directly. In reality this is almost never the case. The teacher goes back to wherever he came from, and a new "temporary" teacher is hired through the dispatch company to work for another year. School board members have "relationships" with dispatch companies (likely receiving kickbacks), and no one in government seems to want to take the time to enforce the laws.

With this system teachers leave after one year is over, just when he or she is beginning to learn how to teach. A new and inexperienced person is hired to "teach", which of course does the students little help. Teachers are for the most part ignorant of the law (you won't find it mentioned in your contract), or have illegal "non-competition" clauses stating that you cannot leave the dispatch company to work for a competitor (or board of education directly). Do you wonder why dispatch companies prefer to hire inexperienced people fresh out of university who have no knowledge of Japanese? Now you do.

If you are an experienced teacher with a degree in English or education (and can speak Japanese) who wants to work in a public school, your best bet is to apply to the board of education directly and not waste your time with dispatch companies. You'll make double the money with half the headaches. Your students will learn something because you are a teacher, not a fresh, foreign face with a non-education related degree working his first job out of university.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2009, 04:21 PM

There was defiantly a song form bleach in the second part. I felt like a hollow was coming after me or something.

Anyway, that was very interesting.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Unfortunately, greed took over and teaching became secondary. The teachers just wanted to do their thing but were ousted due to the greedy bas*ard culture (GBC). The GBC happened in Scotland too in the area of nurse teaching (my Dad's area) and many other areas.

I hope they found that rat, the former head of NOVA, and hung him. He ruined a successful enterprise and a Japanese phenomenon. I hope he doesn't sleep at night for what he did.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-18-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanus View Post
Unfortunately, greed took over and teaching became secondary. The teachers just wanted to do their thing but were ousted due to the greedy bas*ard culture (GBC). The GBC happened in Scotland too in the area of nurse teaching (my Dad's area) and many other areas.

I hope they found that rat, the former head of NOVA, and hung him. He ruined a successful enterprise and a Japanese phenomenon. I hope he doesn't sleep at night for what he did.
I wouldn't define those who worked at Nova as "teachers". As for Saruhashi, he committed a capital sin in Japan, and only made things worse for himself by not hanging himself or jumping in front of a train. But it wasn't entirely bad, the rest of the industry cleaned itself up (somewhat), and teachers for the new Nova are earning 25% more than the old company used to pay.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Googlyguy (Offline)
New to JF

08-23-2009, 05:15 AM

Bieng a high school student in the US, this is strangely very interesting for me :P I don't mean to interrupt, though. Please, continue

"I am unique. Just like everyone else."