JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chrisnoland (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation How can Japan or Immigration sue an overseas Financial Guarantor? - 08-17-2009, 05:18 PM

If someone is on a student visa with an overseas financial sponsor and they default on payment (apartment,school,etc) or the financial guarantor says they will not pay the court fees for someone detained to be deported, what does Japan do? Do they bring the Overseas financial guarantor to court and where? If they refuse to pay what is the worse thing that can happen to the guarantor, not the student. My mother is offering to be the guarantor for me but she wants to know all the details good and bad. I asked the language school in Tokyo and this is what I got:

A "financial sponsor" or a "guarantor" here means who is legally obligated to bear the whole of your expenses in Japan,
but actually it is just an procedural name required on documents for the College Visa as there is no way to make them pay if out of Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnoland View Post
If someone is on a student visa with an overseas financial sponsor and they default on payment (apartment,school,etc) or the financial guarantor says they will not pay the court fees for someone detained to be deported, what does Japan do? Do they bring the Overseas financial guarantor to court and where? If they refuse to pay what is the worse thing that can happen to the guarantor, not the student. My mother is offering to be the guarantor for me but she wants to know all the details good and bad. I asked the language school in Tokyo and this is what I got:

A "financial sponsor" or a "guarantor" here means who is legally obligated to bear the whole of your expenses in Japan,
but actually it is just an procedural name required on documents for the College Visa as there is no way to make them pay if out of Japan.
No one can be forced to come to Japan. I would guess you would be put on the next plane home and banned from reentry from 10 years to life.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Chrisnoland (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2009, 08:49 PM

I mean that would be my guess as well but she wants some sort of more solid answer. I think she just does not want to sign anything that involves a potential lawsuit and it is not that she is not going to pay, but it is her main concern that I have to address otherwise she will not do it. Is there anyone I could ask?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2009, 09:02 PM

They won't sue your mom. Like MMM told you, you would be denied reentry. When my contract ended, I had 9 weeks vacation to use. But my company refused to let me leave the country on a short trip to Thailand because they were afraid I would leave without paying bills and taxes (like they really could force me to stay). I didn't do it because I was afraid they might get scared and report me to immigration as leaving without paying and have my reentry denied. I chose to pay everything off and go home early. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull this on you.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I mean that would be my guess as well but she wants some sort of more solid answer. I think she just does not want to sign anything that involves a potential lawsuit and it is not that she is not going to pay, but it is her main concern that I have to address otherwise she will not do it. Is there anyone I could ask?
I don't know if you are going to get a more solid answer from a reliable source. I will tell you the Japanese government does not sue private individuals overseas. Japan is not nearly as litigious a society as the US is, and it is cheaper and easier for them to toss you out than it is to try and get a few bucks back.

Are you planning a life of crime there?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Chrisnoland (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Lol, No I just do not have $40,000 dollars in a savings account, but I have enough for the time I will be there. Thank you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Chrisnoland (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2009, 02:28 AM

So the bank statement that they require. Does it have to be anything special? (ie: signed by the bank) Or can it just be printed from online?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-18-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
So the bank statement that they require. Does it have to be anything special? (ie: signed by the bank) Or can it just be printed from online?
I would get a document from the bank that cannot be manipulated (like an online statement).
(#9 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2009, 12:51 PM

ask the bank to mail you a statement, that way it will have:

a) the banks letter head (less likely to have been printed by you)
b) it also serves as a proof of address since yours or your mums name and address will be on it.

they do it everyday so not a big deal for them.