LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
joeyj (Offline)
JF Regular

09-08-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
That warning is there in Japanese as well, it's just a translation, not there in English because foreigners are particularly likely to stab themselves on the toothpick.

The foreigners' rights activist Arudou Debito has been up in arms about Mr. James, and there has even been an article in Time magazine apparently. Lots of people have complained to McDonalds headquarters in both Japan and US about the negative stereotyping. Google for Debito's website if you're interested.

I am not too bothered really, I just think Mr. James is an unattractive person to have on TV commercials and life-size cardboard cutouts all over the place, so I hope he goes away soon.
I think him not looking like a model is a better representation of a foreigner than if they had hired someone like Brad Pitt :P
(#12 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2009, 02:36 AM

i stabbed myself in the mouth with the toothpick while trying to rip open the chopsticks packet with my teeth.

mr james would be funnier if it was a japanese dude in white facepaint with sellotape holding his eyes open.

(#13 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-08-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
i stabbed myself in the mouth with the toothpick while trying to rip open the chopsticks packet with my teeth.

mr james would be funnier if it was a japanese dude in white facepaint with sellotape holding his eyes open.

That might actually go over better, haha XD

And yeah I read all about Debito's ranting. We've known about him for a long time in the sociology field. He's a real... well I can't say what he is. He makes huge stinks over sometimes little things, but on the other hand, it's not like the foreign community has anyone else being quite so forthright about things, so I tolerate him.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-08-2009, 11:22 AM

I haven't seen any of the commercials yet. After dodging the NHK lady for 2 years it seems she's finally had enough of my "sorry, I don't speak Japanese" excuse, and pulled the cable on my tv.

However, yesterday I had lunch at McDonald's in Yurakucho, and I saw Mr James on the tray paper. From what I can tell, he looks like one of Kevin Cooney's circle (yes Kevin, I know you browse through here from time to time), who do a few things on late night NHK tv.