JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-11-2009, 06:45 AM

Hand shaking is not common among japanese interviews.

There are times when the interviewer is already in the room, if everybody is already present everybody usually stands up and start handing out BUSINESS CARD .. be sure you know how to receive and give it properly.

Everybody sits down and your are usually ask to give a self introduction about yourself. If you can speak the simple japanese greetings such as good morning /pm or hajimemashite then say it.

You will be interviewed by a Japanese? Be sure to speak slowly and surely and avoid using difficult words.

THe word "GANBARIMASU" goes a long way. so if there are things that you might not know but are willing to learn tell then and say GANBARIMASU...

oh and never be late for the interview good luck .

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-11-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post

oh and never be late for the interview
I'd show up at least 20 minutes early.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
magixxx (Offline)
New to JF

09-11-2009, 07:43 AM

thanks for the reply !
the interview is based in HongKong and job location in Tokyo.
2 interviewers, a Japanese and a local but the interview will be conducted in English.
However i would like to show my sincerity by understanding simple phrases to advance my chance of securing the job.
If the japanese boss speak in english on job tasks, would it be awkward if i say "GANBARIMASU" a few times during the interview ?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-11-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magixxx View Post
thanks for the reply !
the interview is based in HongKong and job location in Tokyo.
2 interviewers, a Japanese and a local but the interview will be conducted in English.
However i would like to show my sincerity by understanding simple phrases to advance my chance of securing the job.
If the japanese boss speak in english on job tasks, would it be awkward if i say "GANBARIMASU" a few times during the interview ?
No, I don't think that would be awkward. And since the job will be in Tokyo, it would probably be good to speak the Japanese you are comfortable with if the opportunity comes up. I wouldn't open with Japanese unless the Japanese boss speaks it first. Certainly your comfort with Japanese will come up, so let it happen naturally, or you might look like an over-enthusiastic show-off.

Again, be honest about your abilities. The last thing you want to have happen is be hired for a job you are unqualified for.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Actually I think it does change the fact. (Not taking a tone with ya, just to clarify; I'm just stating my opinion ) Because in America at that time of the war, Americans called the Japanese "japs" as a racial insult. It remains to this day to be considered a racial slur in America to refer to anyone of Asian origin (because most Americans can't tell Asians apart) a "jap". In the UK, you don't have that same context and cultural tension as we do leftover from the internment era. At least, I don't think. I've been wrong before.
HAHAHAH oh my, I'm sorry, but that's so at odds with my experiences. There's still tension held against asia here in the UK. Not so much with my generation or that of my parents, but there's a lot of hatred from my grandparent's generation. Sure, the term 'Jap' isn't used as much or is considered as bad a word here, but then, whenever i've heard someone of that age want to commit a racial slur against the Japanese they just used 'slit eyed monsters'.
'Jap' almost seems friendly in comparison.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
stackjones (Offline)
New to JF

uh! - 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM

start by NOT calling them japs!

ahole.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackjones View Post
start by NOT calling them japs!

ahole.
Thanks for reading more than the first post.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Aside from "Jap" being considered a seriously offensive ethnic slur in the America, there is another reason not to use the term in business no matter where you are.

Job interviews are usually rather formal and one is better off not to use slang. Shortening any word, such as Japanese to Jap, is slang. Even if the word used is not offensive to anyone, it is still considered substandard vocabulary and should not be used in a professional setting.

BTW the mention of business cards was made, but in case you don't know what was menat by the proper way to exchange them it means with both hands. Both hands to receive and both to present. And take a minute to read, maybe even comment on the content, to show respect and that you are not just taking it as a casual gesture.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
raider94 (Offline)
New to JF

Advice on work in Japan - 09-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Here is some advice on finding work etc in Japan from yours truly-

Redneck Adventures in Japan