JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

Inspiration On Housing - 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Hello everybody,
my wife spent several months living in Japan and has become totally addicted to japanese way of housing. We are building new house and she would like to implement there the japanese "genius loci". I have only general idea what´s going on even i have lots of catalogues and magazines on japanese interiors/exteriors. I have the master plan, but am missing the real life, those little differences which make the THING. What i´m looking for is a tip or advice how to catch the genius loci either in form of an personal experience or as a link on some webage with photos, comments, etc.
Sorry for my english. Cheers.
Robert.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-12-2009, 09:57 PM

This is a fascinating question. So you are looking for a Japanese genius loci...I think that could be different things to different people...maybe a tatami room with a kotatsu and a large closet holding futon. Maybe a koi pond outside or Japanese style garden...a raised entryway for removing shoes...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

09-13-2009, 07:54 PM

thank you for your response MMM, you´re right, different people different tastes, but anyway do you have a tip, where could i see some "life" tatami rooms? Thanks.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamam View Post
thank you for your response MMM, you´re right, different people different tastes, but anyway do you have a tip, where could i see some "life" tatami rooms? Thanks.
Sometimes nice Japanese restaurants have tatami rooms for private parties...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2009, 02:35 AM

or you could pop round to larry ellison's house:

The Real Estalker: Larry Ellison's Japanese Freak Out

i do hope you guys have a good designer, because it is so easy for the japanese style to be done very badly. if possible i would look around your area for a minimalist interior decorator or architect,.... i think they would b more likely to translate the feeling instead of just the style.

and from looking around my living room in an old japanese house right now, the details and the joints are very important, its almost constructivism in that they dont hide the joints, but they display their workmanship in the intersections of columns and beams.

also the colour scheme and the contrast between soft and hard materials like fabic or paper on the sliding doors, tatami vs exposed timber work.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
or you could pop round to larry ellison's house:

The Real Estalker: Larry Ellison's Japanese Freak Out

i do hope you guys have a good designer, because it is so easy for the japanese style to be done very badly. if possible i would look around your area for a minimalist interior decorator or architect,.... i think they would b more likely to translate the feeling instead of just the style.

and from looking around my living room in an old japanese house right now, the details and the joints are very important, its almost constructivism in that they dont hide the joints, but they display their workmanship in the intersections of columns and beams.

also the colour scheme and the contrast between soft and hard materials like fabic or paper on the sliding doors, tatami vs exposed timber work.

Thank you Trunker, i still do think i´m able do design it by myself (i´m the interior designer), but as i do have little experience with japanese houses, i´m collecting the informations and experience. Trunker, would it be possible to place somewhere few illustrations of the things you were talking about? For example SeeMyLiving - Welcome is easy to use.

Thank you

Regards

Robert
(#7 (permalink))
Old
rafif (Offline)
Moon light

09-14-2009, 03:43 PM

That's a very nice idea ,your wife will have a Japanese way and at the same time I'm sure she has her own touches concerning the décors or the surrounding.

For instance you have the living room where there is that special table on the floor or their gardens and if sakura trees "cheery trees" can grow in your country that would be awesome.

good luck wish you happiness in your new house

these are some designs

Here you keep a western touch with a Japanese one in the same place

Ashhado ana la Ilaha ila Allah w ana Mohammad rasoul Allah

(#8 (permalink))
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Nice ideas Rafif, i appreciate the photos. My daughter has already decided to have a golden fish in her room. Apropos, where did you find that masterpiece for dolls? And by the way, how is the living in North Africa?

Robert

Last edited by mamamam : 09-14-2009 at 07:10 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
rafif (Offline)
Moon light

09-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Konnichiwa;

Oh to be honest having a golden fish is fantastic I like fish but cats the most

and I'm happy to see that you've liked my ideas ,for that masterpiece it's from google I like japanese stuff they are so gorgeous.

for the last question hmmmmmm north Africa hmmmmm what shall I say it's totally different you can't find similarities at all neither with western nor eastern let's say unique and by the way this word is French "apropos"vous pouvez parler en français?

I'll try to find some pictures for our buildings in North Africa as soon as possible and put them here if you would like to see them

Sayounara

Ashhado ana la Ilaha ila Allah w ana Mohammad rasoul Allah

Last edited by rafif : 09-14-2009 at 08:21 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
mamamam (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Rafif, i´m definitely interested to see your living in Africa, you can place the photos here. Apropos mademoiselle, this is the flat where i do currently live with my wife and daughter: SeeMyLiving - Details of user's home..

Robert