JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Arranging Housing - 09-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Deleted Post.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:09 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Hi, I've been off the forum for a while, so sorry if this has been asked before or seems a silly question.

It's just I was planning in two-three years on moving to Japan, I've never lived alone before so I'm not entirely certain about the moving process in my own country, let alone in foriegn ones. I was wondering on how to go about having an apartment ready for when I arrive? Would I have to arrive first and stay in a hotel for a week or so until I find a place after seeing an estate agent? Or could I find/rent a place online and collect my keys the day I arrive?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice on the matter.

Sincerely Robin,
x x x
In what capacity do you plan on moving there?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:10 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be a nuissance, but could you rephrase the question? I'm not entirely certain what you mean by 'what capacity' and my friend wasn't either when I asked them too.
I mean, how do you plan on living there.

To live in Japan you need a visa. A tourist visa is 90 days. You could have a working holiday, working, student or spouse visa.

So which of these roles will you be filling?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Post Deleted.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Oh sorry, I see what you mean now.

I was planning that once I finish my degree on applying for a job (most likely in teaching as it's what I'm most qualified for), so I'll be on a working visa. I'm hoping to have the job sorted before I leave for Japan.
You must have the job sorted out before you leave for Japan, that's the only way you'll get into the country.

You could come in as a tourist and look for a job, but companies cannot legally hire you. Also no real estate agent will rent an apartment to someone on a tourist visa.

Most companies or schools that hire foreigners to teach English have housing arrangements made for them, as it can be a tedious and expensive process, especially if you are not fluent in Japanese.

I would worry about getting a visa-sponsor/employer and then talk with them about housing.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Post Deleted.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Since you are from England, you can get a 6 month working holiday visa. With the WHV, you can work part-time while looking for a full-time gig. Some companies will hire people without a working visa, and will assist you in getting the work visa so long as you are qualified for one. Though this method generally works, it is not the best method. It's expensive to come to Japan and support yourself while applying and interviewing with potential employers.

As for housing, you would have to settle for a month-to-month place like Sakura House and a few others. Since you are paying by the month, there is no long-term commitment, and no special paperwork is required.

In order to get a regular apartment you are going to need a few things, first of which is an Alien Registration Card, and the next being a sponsor. The sponsor (usually your employer) is responsible for paying for damages or unpaid rent in the event you either damage the place, or (obviously) fail to pay the rent.

Moving into an apartment in Japan is not cheap. Depending on where you live, the combined deposits and fees can add up to as much as 6 months worth of rent, which must be paid up-front before you can move in. This is not a rule, but it is common enough in good areas with desirable properties. It your apartment is one of those less-desirable 13 square-meter places located underneath a busy train line, then you might be able to get away with moving in without having to pay any deposits.

It's best to do as MMM says, and find an employer/sponsor before coming to Japan. They'll assist you in the apartment hunting, and with the other important things like getting a bank account (also necessary for renting an apartment), an alien registration card, and other things like telephone service, electricity, and gas service. If you work for a good enough company, they may pay most of these expenses for you as well.