JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
stache (Offline)
New to JF

Laptop with Japanese system - 09-24-2009, 01:55 AM

I am in the market for a new or used laptop computer with a Japanese key board and operating system for e-mail mostly. I live in the San Francisco area and will pay for shipping if you have a computer for sale. You can reach me at stacheair1(at)sbcglobal.net or thru my web site at: http:Welcome to StacheAir

If the laptop has XP-home edition that would be great, but could use Vista.

I just returned form Japan and could of used a laptop while I was there. If you have any advice on what type of laptop is better and why I could use the information.

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 02:17 AM

umm you dont need a japanese computer to send emails in japanses or read japanses websites.

google "japanses IME" and it should take you to a microsoft site where you can install their IME package so you can type in Japanese.

then all you have to do is stick japanese letters on your keyboard, or laser them on or just buy a japanese keyboard instead of a whole laptop.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
umm you dont need a japanese computer to send emails in japanses or read japanses websites.

google "japanses IME" and it should take you to a microsoft site where you can install their IME package so you can type in Japanese.

then all you have to do is stick japanese letters on your keyboard, or laser them on or just buy a japanese keyboard instead of a whole laptop.
I type Japanese all day and use an American computer and keyboard.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stache View Post
I am in the market for a new or used laptop computer with a Japanese key board and operating system for e-mail mostly. I live in the San Francisco area and will pay for shipping if you have a computer for sale. You can reach me at stacheair1(at)sbcglobal.net or thru my web site at: http:Welcome to StacheAir

If the laptop has XP-home edition that would be great, but could use Vista.

I just returned form Japan and could of used a laptop while I was there. If you have any advice on what type of laptop is better and why I could use the information.

Thanks in advance.
And if you use a MAC, the input is built in without having to setup anything else with IME
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I type Japanese all day and use an American computer and keyboard.
Same.

...Cept when I'm on campus...then I copy+paste, rofl.

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#6 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

09-24-2009, 06:53 PM

Even when I was in Japan, I only saw normal QWERTY keyboards... Most of the words on the keyboard were even in English (like Tab, Enter, Caps Lock).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
stache (Offline)
New to JF

10-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Since I could not find what I wanted I just ordered a Mac Book with a Japanese operating system and it should be here in a couple of days. Its better to have the right computer so I don't have to mickey mouse stuff.