JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

Jobs in Nagoya - 09-24-2009, 05:57 AM

Does anybody know of any jobs in Nagoya that foreigners can get without a college degree??

I will be moving to Japan to live with my husband soon and will need to get a job, but I do not have a college degree and I do not speak fluent Japanese yet.

does anybody have any suggestions?? I have seen one job looking for waitresses that need english speaking ability but there is no guarantee that job will be available again when I move.

Just looking for other options besides one sports bar.

thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 06:23 AM

you could do what many of us do,.... teach english.

if you go private, you'll just have to hustle and get students, or you could join one of the local english schools. mind you the timings arent that great as you'll probably work in the evenings and on weekends.

companies might require a college degree, but then again that might only be for the visa, which you wont need anyway.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

trunker - 09-24-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
you could do what many of us do,.... teach english.

if you go private, you'll just have to hustle and get students, or you could join one of the local english schools. mind you the timings arent that great as you'll probably work in the evenings and on weekends.

companies might require a college degree, but then again that might only be for the visa, which you wont need anyway.
ok, i'll have to research the private teaching, right now i'm just going to stay with him for 6 months to get used to the country and I will be attending Japanese classes and working on my fluency. Hopefully I can find atleast something I can do.

I would like to contribute to bills and have my own spending money sometimes. I have a little in my bank account here in America to start with and hope to hold a short job in America after I come back after 6 months.

thanks for the advice though, i'll look into it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

09-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Try contacting the Nagoya International Center. They offer job-finding services for foreigners in Nagoya, and there might even be job positions at the Center itself.

Nagoya International Center - The NIC - English Site

Hope you enjoy Nagoya - it's a great city.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

thanks - 09-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Try contacting the Nagoya International Center. They offer job-finding services for foreigners in Nagoya, and there might even be job positions at the Center itself.

Nagoya International Center - The NIC - English Site

Hope you enjoy Nagoya - it's a great city.
thank you hatredcopter. I'll have to check it out. I did get the opportunity to stay there for a month in May and I enjoyed it allot, but a month is going to be allot different from half a year and possibly the rest of my life. I will definitely check into this as well.

I'm so happy to see people helping me not so many people seem to know much about nagoya.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiSarah View Post
thank you hatredcopter. I'll have to check it out. I did get the opportunity to stay there for a month in May and I enjoyed it allot, but a month is going to be allot different from half a year and possibly the rest of my life. I will definitely check into this as well.

I'm so happy to see people helping me not so many people seem to know much about nagoya.
Nyororin lives in Nagoya, but is on vacation now. When she is back I am sure she can help.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
UsagiSarah (Offline)
New to JF

thanks MMM - 09-27-2009, 04:24 AM

thank you, i'll have to check in with her.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-30-2009, 08:27 AM

English teaching is probably going to be your only quick and easy option. There are countless smaller schools that will leap to hire you as you won`t be needing a visa and they can have you work only the hours you`re needed (instead of having to "make" work for you in order to turn it into a full time job for visa purposes).

Do you have any idea of what part of Nagoya you`ll be living in?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
beko (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2011, 09:09 AM

the very first place we went to was the nagoya kokusai centre.i was in nagoya for 14 ish years and kokusai centre helped me with loads of things like travel etc.