LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sularus (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
It still sounds a bit ridiculous to me... Image is just as important in England for most schools (if not more for certain, lets say, upper class or religious schools), but they don't go around punishing pupils that misbehave outside of school unless it's something very bad... like a fight, or mistreating the bus driver etc!
The school I went to in the British Isles would issue punishments for misbehaving outside of school. It wasn't the only school to do this either. I think pretty much all local schools would do this to some level. If you were in uniform then you were representing the school and should behave accordingly. In your normal clothes though you were free to misbehave as you liked (within reason).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM

We had the fingertip rule. We would have to put our arms down by our sides. If the tips of our fingers was below where our skirts were, then it was too short.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

10-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
We had the fingertip rule. We would have to put our arms down by our sides. If the tips of our fingers was below where our skirts were, then it was too short.
Wow, then what would have been allowed can still be pretty short!

I am so happy to have gone to a normal US high school. Both males and females could were a single pair of earrings. Make-up allowed in moderation (no clowns!). Skirts had to be knee length, but girls rarely wore them at my school.

I believe the matter with students reflecting on their schools, whether or not they are currently at the school, is part of the Japanese "group mentality". A very foreign concept to Americans where we have a strong individuality. Rarely would a school in the US publicly take responsibility for a shortcoming of a student, especially out of school.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sularus View Post
The school I went to in the British Isles would issue punishments for misbehaving outside of school. It wasn't the only school to do this either. I think pretty much all local schools would do this to some level. If you were in uniform then you were representing the school and should behave accordingly. In your normal clothes though you were free to misbehave as you liked (within reason).
Yeah, that was the same in our school too. It was a pretty rough school so kids did all sorts when they were out of uniform and classes, but if they were in their uniform at all - even at lunch hours or when school was over - then they could be punished. We didn't have the rule about skirt lengths or make-up though like other posters, but all jewellery was banned except sikh karas and studded earings. I guess it was similar to a Japanese school really, only not so strict
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Cypsis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Cypsis
10-08-2009, 03:37 PM

I would be happy when my school would make rules of no make-up and too much jewerly. Because it is ugly to see little girls with hideous make-up. But I wouldn´t be happy of NO dyeing! I don´t like my natural color and beside blond suits me better.

A Girl with a dream
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-08-2009, 03:47 PM

When I first started high-school, literally EVERYTHING was regulated. Hair-ties had to be black, grey or raspberry pink thin bands, and nothing else, so alice bands were banned. Same with socks, which were ankle high, and only white socks were allowed to be knee high. All girls had to wear skirts to the knee and you couldn't even buy trousers. Shoes had to be black lace ups and the heels were frequently measured to make sure you weren't cheating on the "2cm or less" rule. Juniors couldn't even walk through certain entrances as the seniors, and even the seniors were banned from the main doors, which were reserved for staff and 6th formers. Oh, and if you were caught with say, a t-shirt on under your school shirt, or a non-school sweatshirt on over it, that was against the rules too.

You could wear silver or gold stud earrings, no hoops, nothing dangly and no other jewelry unless you got a letter from your parents confirming it was for religious reasons. No makeup and no 'unnaturally dyed hair'. So you could dye your hair, provided nobody noticed you'd dyed it.

It changed a lot in the time I was there, like the hair tie thing, and we protested and were allowed trousers eventually, but I think they still use the door system, and the make-up and jewelry still seems pretty strict.

And this was all since the turn of the millenium at a non-religious middle-class school. Happy days!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JustinATTACK (Offline)
Wtf does *glomps* mean??

Send a message via AIM to JustinATTACK
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM

I think I was lucky.
My highschool was pretty uncaring about these things.
We had a dress code like any other school, but the only thing they band were disrespectful cloths, and you couldn't dye your hair, say pink or something like that..

Which I think was a smart thing. When you place all these restrictions on kids, like most schools are starting to do now, It makes kids want to rebel. Makes them want to wear shorter skirts, and dye their hair. If the people running the schools didn't make such a big deal about those sorts of things, they would never have any problems with it.. people at my school rarely did things wrong, and everyone was much happier when they could choose there own clothes. It never affected out grade..Hell we were the highest ranked highschool in the state for three years in a row.

And we didn't have problems with our students outside of the school. Everyone was pretty chill. Without all the restrictions at the school kids didn't feel the need to rebel so much, so gangs/drugs/ anything like that was pretty scarce.

"Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard." Miyamoto Musashi
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-08-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Wow, then what would have been allowed can still be pretty short!
No, not really. There was a "common sense" factor too since the fingertip rule can vary from person to person. Some people have long arms, some have short arms. For the most part, even with that rule, skirts weren't allowed to be two or three inches above the knees if I remember right. I'm not fully sure, though, since I didn't wear skirts or dresses in school past elementary school, unless I had to, like for a school event. I hated wearing them since "boys were idiots" and always tried to "look up my skirt/dress". lol