JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

American Paypal and Japanese bank accounts? - 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM

Hello~ it's me again! I have another question, this time in regards to dealing with currency.

Right now, I have an American Wells Fargo account and an American paypal account (the two are connected to each other). However, I'm currently in Japan. I'm SUPPOSED to get the JASSO scholarship, but because of some issue or another, I'm not due to receive it until the end of this month. Considering I expected to receive it soon after my arrival, I only brought $500 USD with me when I arrived, and upon having to pay two month's worth of rent and commuter passes, plus food and everything else, that money rapidly disappeared and I've had to withdraw money from my American bank account. I've done it through the post office ATM (which charges $5), but is there a better way to take out money from my account in Japan?

Also, when I do receive my JASSO, I would like to put some of that money back into my account to make up for what I withdrew (since that money is my tuition money, and I need it to pay for next semester). I know I'll have to open up a Japanese bank account for this, but my question is, can I link my Japanese bank account with my American paypal? Can I do it while the paypal account is still linked with my Wells Fargo account? Or is there another way to transfer money? And do you really need to have national health insurance to open up a bank account (and if so, my sheet says 'cost: 8,190 yen (1 year)' but does that mean it's one payment for 8,190 yen to cover the entire year, or is it 8190 yen per month for the year)?

Thank you for the help!