JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
fastcow1234 (Offline)
New to JF

Questions about Studying Abroad in Tokyo or Nagoya - 03-07-2007, 05:40 AM

Hey everybody, I am new to the Japan Forum and I was wondering if some of you guys could perhaps give me some more information on what I should be expecting when I go to study abroad in Japan. I will be studying at either Sophia University in Tokyo, or Nagoya University in Nagoya. I have done plenty of research on the schools academically, but I didn't know if anyone could give me some information on college life their. Also perhaps some information on the people and life in these cities. I would also like to ask what challenges should I prepare myself to face while studying abroad. I am not a well traveled person so just general tips about what I need to bring would also be great. Thanks, just reading around the forum has helped a great deal, but if anyone could give me some info I would be VERY appreciative.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-07-2007, 11:54 PM

Whoa! North Carolina! What's happening, I am originally from Mooresville. You know, home of Nascar, Race City USA. Not that I actually watch it, but yeah, NC rocks! About your question, from what I have been told Japanese university life is really laid back. Getting into a university is so difficult for Japanese, once they are there they just totally cut loose because it doesn't even compare to how hard it was to get in.

But yeah, I think Samokan is an exchange student. Am I right Samo?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-08-2007, 12:59 AM

oh no, am not an exchange student.. but I do have lots of friends who are exchange student.

yes, accdg to my bestfriend who studied in Waseda University, its pretty laid back.

just read about the japanese culture, basically you will have an orientation at your chosen university .. so just enjoy
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-08-2007, 04:55 AM

I haven`t personally attended either of those universities... But I *can* tell you that Nagoya University is in a beautiful place. I used to drive right through their campus everyday when my son was in hospital.
It`s in the most upscale part of Nagoya - close to Higashiyama botanical park and zoo... And is pretty much surrounded by parks to begin with. It`s a great area, and has a couple other universities nearby (Meijo, Nanzan), so it`s really a very upscale student area.

Nanzan is a great university, and based on their proximity I`d guess that they`re probably quite similar when it comes to campus life.

I can`t really give you much info on the inner workings of Nagoya University, but I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about life in Nagoya, so feel free to ask anytime.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
fastcow1234 (Offline)
New to JF

03-08-2007, 06:08 AM

I appreciate you guy's input, any at all is much appreciated. Well Nyororin, I am gonna have to take you up on your offer and ask you a couple of things :-D.I was wondering what could you say are some key differences between say the cities of Tokyo and Nagoya as far as city life and people? Also, what things do you like or dislike about Nagoya in particular? Thank you guys so much for replying to me. oh and Jasonbvr, I know exactly where moorsville is, I actually live about 45 minutes east of Charlotte, so I have definently heard of it. I have actually spent quite a bit of time in traffic their.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-08-2007, 06:50 AM

yeah me too , if you have time Nyororin please put some info on Nagoya, I know there are lots of site out there, but if its different when it comes from the person actually living there..

like if I want to visit Nagoya:

what's the must food ?

what's the must places to visit?

宜しくお願いします。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-08-2007, 08:28 AM

I don`t have much time right now, have to be heading out in a few minutes, but I will just answer a few points.

I generally discourage anyone who wants to acquire good Japanese language abilities from studying in Tokyo. Tokyo is sort of it`s own little country, and there are SO MANY MORE English speakers there. They`re everywhere. While you may feel that you`re determined to learn Japanese, it always seems like in the end everyone takes the path of least resistance... And ends up hanging out with foreign friends, speaking English, and not immersing themselves in Japanese culture to any extent at all. There are people living in Tokyo for more than 10 year who cannot speak more than a few words of Japanese. It`s easy to make a bubble there and never leave it.

And that`s on top of just generally being expensive, crowded, and hectic.
A plus, I assume, is that there are more things in general in Tokyo - more events, more shops, etc. However, when I spent some time in Tokyo the sheer frustration of the city drove me crazy. Obviously my opinion is just that, an opinion, but Tokyo is "Tokyo", and not "Japan".

As for Nagoya - it`s a big city, but has wide roads, a large number of *green* parks. (Sure, Tokyo has parks, but not nearly as many with TREES)... Large sidewalk areas - Nagoya is actually one of the only cities in Japan where it is legal to ride your bicycle on the the sidewalk, and everyone does. There is more than enough space. Driving through Tokyo, I`d have to constantly brake to avoid killing people who were walking and riding their bikes in the street. It`s cheap to live here, and there is plenty going on. It`s also between Osaka and Tokyo, so it`s not hard to go there. Head north, and there is a ton of countryside... I personally love Nagoya, and wouldn`t choose to live anywhere else (Well, I don`t actually live in Nagoya right now, but close enough.). Tokyo had me feeling seriously sick after a week.

I guess it`s really up to the type of person you are. If you like to go out all the time and be constantly busy, and don`t mind everywhere being incredibly crowded and hectic... You`d probably like Tokyo.
If you want to live a relaxed life, enjoy the rest of Japan, and have all the amenities of a big city available to you without having to fight for them, then Nagoya would be a better place.

Of course, I`m totally biased. But the stuff about English speakers in Tokyo is completely true.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-09-2007, 12:01 AM

I second Nyororin's opinion of Tokyo. It is it's own little world. Now I actually like Tokyo. Yes, it is full of gaijin which is really strange when you come down out of the countryside where I currently live. It does have some sort of energy that makes you feel like you should be rushing everything you do. I don't know why, but I could see myself living on the outskirts of the city sometime soon.

When are you coming, next fall? I'll pay fifty dollars for a jar of Bojangle's seasoning salt and one box of biscuits. What'da ya say, we gotta deal or what man? No, how about 15 for one twenty ounce of Cheerwine and one of Sun Drop?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
fastcow1234 (Offline)
New to JF

03-09-2007, 06:09 AM

Haha, oh yeah bojangle's seasoned fries and cheerwine, Dang... i am gonna miss those. My friend actually sent some of his friends in Japan a bottle of cheerwine as part of a birthday present, just to see what their reaction was. They didn't like it all that much... said it tasted like medicine, if thats the case, then medicine in Japan must be DELICIOUS!! lol. But, I am coming down next spring actually, from april to then end of july is abouts when i should be their if all goes according to plan. Dunno if it will be Nagoya or Tokyo so I am trying to get as much info about each place as possible.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Have you checked out :: Metropolis Tokyo :: Japan's No. 1 English Magazine It is an online magazine for Tokyo and has a weekly or daily podcast. I have never listened, but it may be worth a try. When you come, you are going to probably want to get a lot of sightseeing done in the first few months. July is the beginning of the rainy season or is the rainy season, I don't know but will find out soon enough. I'll probably still be here, 85% chance, so hope to see you around. And yeah, all my Japanese friends back home took a long time to get used to the cherry goodness.