JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TranquillityOfShyness (Offline)
New to JF

Living in Japan(Not original but oh well) - 09-19-2011, 01:17 AM

Hello, Japan Forum people.
A head of sorry for my poor spelling and punctuation.

Like a lot of people on this website, i want to move to Japan...well maybe.

so yes i will be asking some of the same old questions everyone else is asking, but with the possibility of new ones. i could use the search forum tool, but it would take a while to read through a lot of conversions in the threads to fine what i am looking for...so im sort of taking the lazy way.

I think i'll start off with some the things i know, some of it might be right/wrong.
So i know that you need at least a B.A in any thing, that you need a visa of some sorts( Visa's confuse the hell out of me lol) so if you can maybe put some information about vise in layman terms. i know that you should visit before making the big step forward and also learn at the very least some basic Japanese.

some info from you would be, what were some of the reality checks you experience once you got there. Whats it like being that faraway from your family and friends. what are some of the difficulties being a "Gaijin". what are some of the real pro's and cons of living in japan that most people like me dont think about.

it's my dream to see the cherry blossoms in Japan and to maybe one day even live there. i know it takes a lot of time and work to be given the chance, but for me that one chance is worth it.

any info and stories about your experiences would be greatly appreciated. i know its a lot to read but thank you for time.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
rizu (Offline)
New to JF

09-19-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquillityOfShyness View Post
Hello, Japan Forum people.
I think i'll start off with some the things i know, some of it might be right/wrong.
So i know that you need at least a B.A in any thing, that you need a visa of some sorts( Visa's confuse the hell out of me lol) so if you can maybe put some information about vise in layman terms. i know that you should visit before making the big step forward and also learn at the very least some basic Japanese.

some info from you would be, what were some of the reality checks you experience once you got there. Whats it like being that faraway from your family and friends. what are some of the difficulties being a "Gaijin". what are some of the real pro's and cons of living in japan that most people like me dont think about.

it's my dream to see the cherry blossoms in Japan and to maybe one day even live there. i know it takes a lot of time and work to be given the chance, but for me that one chance is worth it.

any info and stories about your experiences would be greatly appreciated. i know its a lot to read but thank you for time.
Visas, are what allow you to live in Japan legally. In order to work full time, you have to have a work visa. For the work visa, you have to have a four year degree, or the required work experience for the work visa type. Personally, having a degree is the best bet. And to get a work visa, you ALSO have to have a company sponsor you. I believe after a few years you can sponsor yourself though (or just apply for permanent residency). Some countries also qualify for the Working Holiday Visa. Unfortunately, if you're American like me, your S.O.L.

If you want to visit, you can enter on a visitor visa which is good for 90 days and is given to you when you enter the country. Have you ever been to Japan? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you go give it a visit before you move. I wouldn't move somewhere permanently unless I have visited it. If you are wanting to work, the business etiquette of Japan is very different from the U.S. (I am going to compare from U.S. since that's where I hail from, and not sure how different it is from Europe). Example: Japanese employees typically have cleaning duties. There are no janitors. You ALWAYS should be at least 10 minutes early anywhere (and that's not just work). Your superiors should be treated as so. The list goes on.

Basically, you need to make sure you are willing to make these changes. If you are not going to adapt, don't work in Japan. Just go for a visit once a year or something. It will save you and your co-workers/ fellow students grief.

The pros and cons... hmm.. well, Japan is gorgeous, great food, lots of stuff to do, and easy to get around. VS the U.S. my whole state takes like 12 hours to get across in a car. The people in Japan are polite. That seems to be lacking these days in the U.S. It's kind of a personal thing I think. You just need to be over there to get your own opinion.

In terms of being a gaijin, you will probably get a lot of attention at first, but it will die down. Once the novelty of your arrival has died down, then if you are a student/worker, you will be treated like other workers/students (as was my case), and expected to follow the same rules everyone else does. Depending on your location matters too. In a big city like Tokyo or Nagoya, foreigners are common. But in smaller areas and stuff you will stand out more. The key factor is how you act I guess as to whether or not you will be liked or disliked etc. I never had issues, but a friend of mine always did some things that were okay to do in the states and would always get yelled at.

My advice, come visit, check it out for a few weeks. Come in April if you want to see the cherry blossoms. Get a feel for Japan BEFORE you make a real commitment. I'm moving back because I have lived there before and really enjoyed the atmosphere. Some people make the move w/o ever going before and do fine, but others hate it, break their contracts within three months, and go home.

だらだらが一番!

mochigashi.blogspot.com
(#3 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

09-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizu View Post
Visas, are what allow you to live in Japan legally. In order to work full time, you have to have a work visa. For the work visa, you have to have a four year degree, or the required work experience for the work visa type. Personally, having a degree is the best bet. And to get a work visa, you ALSO have to have a company sponsor you. I believe after a few years you can sponsor yourself though (or just apply for permanent residency). Some countries also qualify for the Working Holiday Visa. Unfortunately, if you're American like me, your S.O.L.

If you want to visit, you can enter on a visitor visa which is good for 90 days and is given to you when you enter the country. Have you ever been to Japan? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you go give it a visit before you move. I wouldn't move somewhere permanently unless I have visited it. If you are wanting to work, the business etiquette of Japan is very different from the U.S. (I am going to compare from U.S. since that's where I hail from, and not sure how different it is from Europe). Example: Japanese employees typically have cleaning duties. There are no janitors. You ALWAYS should be at least 10 minutes early anywhere (and that's not just work). Your superiors should be treated as so. The list goes on.

Basically, you need to make sure you are willing to make these changes. If you are not going to adapt, don't work in Japan. Just go for a visit once a year or something. It will save you and your co-workers/ fellow students grief.

The pros and cons... hmm.. well, Japan is gorgeous, great food, lots of stuff to do, and easy to get around. VS the U.S. my whole state takes like 12 hours to get across in a car. The people in Japan are polite. That seems to be lacking these days in the U.S. It's kind of a personal thing I think. You just need to be over there to get your own opinion.

In terms of being a gaijin, you will probably get a lot of attention at first, but it will die down. Once the novelty of your arrival has died down, then if you are a student/worker, you will be treated like other workers/students (as was my case), and expected to follow the same rules everyone else does. Depending on your location matters too. In a big city like Tokyo or Nagoya, foreigners are common. But in smaller areas and stuff you will stand out more. The key factor is how you act I guess as to whether or not you will be liked or disliked etc. I never had issues, but a friend of mine always did some things that were okay to do in the states and would always get yelled at.

My advice, come visit, check it out for a few weeks. Come in April if you want to see the cherry blossoms. Get a feel for Japan BEFORE you make a real commitment. I'm moving back because I have lived there before and really enjoyed the atmosphere. Some people make the move w/o ever going before and do fine, but others hate it, break their contracts within three months, and go home.

Thanks for the info, i am going to visit sometime in the next 4yrs, im 20 now and Going to take the ACT and then college. i dont mind working and things like that, i grew up in a logging family, hard work was pounded into me by my grandfather and the thought of getting hit by my grandmother wooden spoon lol.

don't really understand what you mean by "a company sponsor you"

i wounder since im kind of a big guy, im 6'2 and 270pounds and size 13 feet lol, would that cause me any trouble in Japan, like clothing, shoes , ect..
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Pogopuschel (Offline)
JF Regular

09-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
i wounder since im kind of a big guy, im 6'2 and 270pounds and size 13 feet lol, would that cause me any trouble in Japan, like clothing, shoes , ect..
Most likely, yes. I doubt that you'll be able to get fitting clothes in "regular" stores here. There may be speciality stores for "big guys" but they will be expensive. Japan simply doesn't have many big guys ;)

"A company to sponsor you" means to find a company who is willing to go through the visa process for you. They sponsor you with a working visa. You can't apply for a working visa by yourself, you need a company to do that with/for you.

Last edited by Pogopuschel : 09-19-2011 at 07:24 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rizu (Offline)
New to JF

09-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogopuschel View Post
Most likely, yes. I doubt that you'll be able to get fitting clothes in "regular" stores here. There may be speciality stores for "big guys" but they will be expensive. Japan simply doesn't have many big guys

I agree you will have problems most likely getting shoes haha. I'm a girl so I have no idea about the menswear but I know in the big cities there are usually stores that sell large sizes. But be prepared to shell out cash. Your best bet would be to make friends with someone who goes in and out of the country to buy your clothes in the states and bring them in OR pay for the shipping.

だらだらが一番!

mochigashi.blogspot.com
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I agree you will have problems most likely getting shoes haha. I'm a girl so I have no idea about the menswear but I know in the big cities there are usually stores that sell large sizes. But be prepared to shell out cash. Your best bet would be to make friends with someone who goes in and out of the country to buy your clothes in the states and bring them in OR pay for the shipping.
Anything in US/Canada size L usually fit me nicely...... In Japan, I have to go XXXL, XXL is only a tight fit..

Shoes I am only a size 9, and have had no problems finding shoes in Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

09-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
i guess i need to drop 40 pounds before japan ugh......
it wont be a problem.

would it be strange for a gaijin to walk around in
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Anything in US/Canada size L usually fit me nicely...... In Japan, I have to go XXXL, XXL is only a tight fit..
It's finding that XXXL that's a pain!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
It's finding that XXXL that's a pain!
YES!!! And its so hard to find souvenirs in that size ousdie temple and shrines... i look like the 7 dwarf in L or XXl >.<
(#10 (permalink))
Old
rizu (Offline)
New to JF

09-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
i guess i need to drop 40 pounds before japan ugh......
it wont be a problem.

would it be strange for a gaijin to walk around in
that's like super formal wear. maybe for new years? a yukata to a festival would be fine though. but you might get stares. haha. when i wear yukata i just get a bunch of: OMG you are so cute!! etc. etc. get's kind of annoying to be honest. just smile haha.

だらだらが一番!

mochigashi.blogspot.com