JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lilongyue (Offline)
JF Regular

What's bad in Japan vs. what's bad in China - 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Hi y'all,

I stumbled across this website, and after reading some of the posts I had to write something. I can't believe how similar sounding are the complaints of the foreigners living in Japan and China! I myself live in China, have for two years. Some of the gripes people have about Japan are pretty much the same here in China - no one lines up (or queues) for anything! It's always a wrestling match to get onto or into overcrowded buses/trains/banks/you name it. China, like the rest of Asia, also cares a lot about "face," and guanxi, which means connections, or relationships. I'm sure Japanese has an equivalent word. If someone in China doesn't know you, then you have no guanxi with them, and frankly, you can go to hell for all they care. I recently learned an old Chinese saying that sums it up. The short version goes something like this - when it snows, I only sweep in front of my door. This applies to all areas of life, including business. Chinese business is exactly the same as Japanese - greet you with a smile, call you friend, and completely screw you over . . . unless, like all Chinese do, you understand that this is simply how business is done, don't take it personally, and get on with the bargaining.

I've met some really bitter foreigners living in China. All they do is get together with other foreigners and bitch about China. They can't find much that's good about China, other than cheap beer and women. I found myself becoming quite bitter, took a break from China, cleared my head, and came back with a specific goal (something a lot of foreigners living in Asia lack), which was studying Chinese. I didn't want to become one of these people who just hate everything around them, who don't respect the Chinese and find fault in everything. I want to be happy.

I've always wanted to visit Japan, and will some day. I had thought about trying to teach there, but only have a two year degree at the moment. Not enough to get a work visa. There are things I admire about Japan, such as clean air. China has some of the worst pollution in the world. The city I live in isn't as bad as others, but on a bad day I can't even see the mountains a mile away. I won't even mention the stuff that ends up in people's drinking water. Japan is an incredibly, environmentally aware country. Those of you who live there can appreciate this, when you can't find anything else.

Japan is also a free country. I'm a Buddhist, and spent nearly a year in India with Tibetan refugees. I've read all about Chairman Mao, I know the truth of the Communist Party, what happened in Tibet, as well as what was done to other Chinese. Unfortunately, no Chinese knows what really happened. The truth of China's recent past has been completely erased, and mythologized. I know Japan has issues with it's past (I know all too well, as Chinese HATE Japan because of what was done in Nanjing, and that Japan hasn't taken responsibility for it), but it doesn't reach the depths of ignorance that it does here in China. Now then, all irony aside, my point is that this is another thing you can reflect on when you've had it with Japan.

Chinese are often called racist by foreigners, and sometimes it's true. If they think a black person looks like a monkey, they will say it. You have a big nose because you're a foreigner, and you'll hear it, perhaps every day. As far as staring goes, I don't think I've ever seen worse staring anywhere, except maybe India. I get stared at every day, without fail, at least once when I'm out, and the city I'm in now is better than the last one I lived in. It's more urbane and cultured, and has more foreigners. Oh, and if the police don't want to bother with you, or just see you as a bother, you should first ask yourself "Do I speak their language?" What would happen if a Japanese person wandered around an American city, refusing or unable to speak English? How would most people react, let alone the police? Right now in America people are angry simply because the government wants to start bilingual (Spanish-English) road signs, and telephone menus, etc. because of the huge number of Mexican immigrants. Many people are saying "They should speak our language!" Why should the Japanese be any different?

Now then, I'm not defending racists, or when something genuinely bad goes down simply because you are a foreigner (I got 12 stitches in my head one night, and it was mostly because I wasn't Chinese), but it helps if you try to see the other side of things. That's what I'm doing now, plus speaking more of the language, and it's made a world of difference.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2007, 02:22 AM

Ni hao! Like u, i'm in China right now...and what a pleasant surprise, we live in the same city!!

Nway, i can't help but comment on your topic...i think i said this already in some other threads and other JF members mentioned this too, i.e., if one really wants to appreciate another country, one must learn to adapt to its culture, language, lifestyles, etc..and not the other way around...Also, learn WHY a certain country behaves like that...if he/she can do that, staying in that country would be a more enjoyable experience...

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-15-2007, 02:55 AM

I have a couple of Chinese Friends and they say the same things about Japan before they had any experience living here. I don't know how history is being perceived/taught there regarding Japan, cause mos of them says that before they were hesitant on coming to Japan because they thought that Japanese ppl are scary and full of bad people. But after staying in Japan, their views of the country changed.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

China v. Japan - 03-15-2007, 04:50 AM

First I'll give you a little background to establish my "qualifications" to comment on such issues. Studied Mandarin for three in Beijing so everything I say pertains specifically to that area. For Japan, I currently live here. Now, I like both countries and don't prefer one over the other. Even though it may seem like the things I am about to list give Japan an edge, China is fun for all the reasons it is "bad." Japan is also interesting for every reason it is difficult to live in. Removing myself from the daily routine and regularity of home is exactly why I travel and live in different countries. If you just want to see a country and take nice pictures, be a tourist. Get your pictures and go home.

So here we go,

Chinese are honest and outspoken. They don't apologize a gajillion times and are not afraid to push and shove to get what they want. They cheat and bend rules to their advantage. (Think of a communist country with a free market)
vs. Japanese tell you what they think you want to hear. Are law abiding to such an extent that it is annoying. (Won't even cross the road when there is nothing coming but the crosswalk light is red)

China, yell, scream and insult your way to a good price while bargaining with street vendors.
vs. Japan where store clerks are cheerful, helpful and trained like lab rats to yell iraishaimase (welcome) like every five minutes. You feel like you can't even argue with them because they will just kill you with kindness.

In China, I constantly feared for my life. Riding in the taxis, I thought we would crash and die any minute, my apartment's wiring looked like an extreme fire hazard and just breathing the air felt risky.
vs. Japan where everyone drives slow and cautiously, cars will yield for bikes and pedestrians and I have not feared for my life even once since arriving.

In Japan taxis are clean and about expensive as a kidney on the black market. They even obey traffic laws, what's up with that?
vs. China where I could get a taxi to take me to the opposite side of the city for the same price it costs to ride for five minute in one here. And they don't bother with that speed limit stuff and understand that both lanes may be used regardless of oncoming traffic.

Japan, cheap cigarettes and smoking eveywhere you go.
vs. China where the cigarettes are cheaper and you don't even need to worry about that portable ashtray.

Japan, beer is almost two dollars everywhere you go and the drinking water is safe.
vs. China where the beer is cheap and the drinking water is questionable enough that you better check to make sure the seal is not broken on the bottled water you just bought.

China, fake DVD's for a dollar or less.
vs. Japan where a movie at the theater costs around fourteen bucks.

Japan, police are helpful and polite
vs. China where the police are always suspicious and look like they would lock you up just for asking the time of day.

Japan, homeless people sit and look pitiful while accepting your donations graciously.
vs. China where if you give to one, you will have ten of them asking and tugging on your shirt within seconds. Saying, "You are rich American. Give me money. You are rich."

Well folks, that is all I have for now. Enjoy.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 03-15-2007 at 04:53 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XtraPaint (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I live at a place call the land of the free...i think
Send a message via MSN to XtraPaint
03-18-2007, 03:08 AM

ok here is the math equation.

japanese + chinese = WAR! = U.N peacekeepers - casuaties = WORLD WAR! + France + Great Britain + Germany + RUSSIA = NUCLEAR WAR = U.S + WORLD WAR! = peace......

My name..........XIN
(#6 (permalink))
Old
zeraya (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2007, 05:45 PM

japan have alots of bad things and china have alots of bad things too

in japan there is alots of gals the girls really bad girls wilds girls >_<
china alots of fake things
japan really healthy food but i do not like it
china healthy food and in the same time they are eating monkeys and some weird things
japan clean air
china dirty air
japan alots of earthquick
china less earthquick
japan high price
china less price
japanese people very weak in english
china good in english
china alots of people
japan less people

and much more
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-21-2007, 12:06 PM

I am going to have to disagree with the healthy food statement. Both countries certainly have their own forms of junk food. There is a big misconception when it comes to a country's food and how healthy it is for you. Like the idea that American food is really bad for is not true because if you ever had something my parents made for you or chose to eat healthy when at a restaurant there, you would say American food is really healthy. You can't take a select few dishes and just say that because they are healthy then the food is overall good for you.

The thing about English is actually very true. Chinese do learn English a lot easier simply because the sentence structure is similar.

As far as Japanese girls, this is a big misconception as well. Yes Japanese women compared to Chinese are far less traditional, but they are not totally wild say compared to American women. It is really unfortunate the way women are portrayed in the media and how this changes the way they act, but that is a totally different subject.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
xazn4lyfex (Offline)
New to JF

10-29-2007, 08:29 AM

i went to japan..and ther all alot of girls that is wild..im serious..always in the streets of tokyo..in china they hav it too but its getting less cause of crackdowns.. china might hav more people than japan but they are both crowded..japan may be more crowded cause ther apartment rooms is smaller and houses and my friend show me lik tube u can sleep in... racisim happens in both countrys..japan mostly hate all races except their own but that is not all japanese.. in china they are not really racist but they will sterotype u alot..ex. if u black = ur bad.. viet=theif white=iono..
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nanobyte (Offline)
Banned

10-30-2007, 05:06 PM

what you mean japanese girls are crazy?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

10-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanobyte View Post
what you mean japanese girls are crazy?
Yes, where are these crazy Japanese girls you speak of?

In my years in Japan (and married to a lovely Japanese lady) I've never been able to classify them as crazy. Ok, you've got a few in Harajuku that like to dress a little weird but thats about it.

As for China. I've pretty much made up my mind that I won't set foot in a country that doesn't have some form of democracy and a basic recognition of human rights. I know other countries have their issues but the Chinese government is shady at best and downright evil at its worse.

Note that I said "Chinese government" and not "The Chinese" The Chinese, as a people, have so much potential. Unfortunately their government holds them back from real greatness.