JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to celephais
Anyone around Beppu? - 02-05-2010, 05:35 AM

This coming fall, I'll be moving to Beppu for a year as an international student.
Anyone know anything about Beppu - been there? Live there? What are some fun things to do in and around Beppu? I'd really like to make friends with Japanese who live in Beppu - is that you?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Celephais
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-05-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celephais View Post
This coming fall, I'll be moving to Beppu for a year as an international student.
Anyone know anything about Beppu - been there? Live there? What are some fun things to do in and around Beppu? I'd really like to make friends with Japanese who live in Beppu - is that you?
Celephais
I don't live in Beppu but I've been there on a bisiness trip. It's a small town whose largest industry is tourism, namely the hot springs. It's located on the coast so it's kinda nice and relaxing. I remember enjoying talking walks on the beach. I went there in the winter but I still got slightly tanned as the town gets so much sunshine.

Beppu is so small that you might have to go to the nearby Oita for night life and some of your more serious shopping. Oita is an easy 20-minute train ride from Beppu. Then again, don't expect theTokyo kind of a night life there as it isn't a huge city. You can go to Fukuoka once in a while if you want a real large-city night life including concerts and such.

Beppu's main shopping street that starts at the Beppu station is good enough for your daily dining and shopping.

Over-all, Beppu is a nice, friendly little town. Writing this kinda makes me wanna go back there sometime.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celephais View Post
Celephais
I've only visited there on vacation. It is a really nice small city that keeps a very old Japan traditional look. Its very famous for a specific public onsen. I tried to go in during the day and it was simply full.

I also remember it having a very famous purin (pudding) maker that made it fresh and in assorted flavors.

Lots of culture there to see and take in - mainly because it is a tourist town. As a student you should thrive there without any distractions of bigger cities. You will probably be a little more popular than you would be in an big city if you have a foriegn face.

I recommend Kumamoto to visit some more sites. If you want to take a vacation on your stay in a big Japanese city, I highly recommend Fukuoka.