JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
milimari (Offline)
New to JF

Rent a Flat - 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Hello Friends,
I'm a Japanese female living in Shinagawa-ku,Tokyo. I'd like to rent my flat during my absent on Feb.
Location:Tennozu-Ile. Surrounded with canal and calm. Good restaurants and cafes near by. Very closed to public transportation. Rainbow bridge view from balcony of 24th floor .
Facilities:One bedroom(double bed). Living room(32 inch TV, CD combo, Sofa, Desk). Kitchen(Frige, Microwave, Oven, Toaster, Gas stove). Bathroom. Toilet. Washing machine. Optical fiber for internet. Extra bed(if you want).
Period:5th~26th of Feb.
Rent:¥100,000
Conditions:Female 1~2. Non-smoker. No pet.

Contact me by E-mail for more information.
mi-yo@hotmail.co.jp

Milimari
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-22-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milimari View Post
Hello Friends,
I'm a Japanese female living in Shinagawa-ku,Tokyo. I'd like to rent my flat during my absent on Feb.
Location:Tennozu-Ile. Surrounded with canal and calm. Good restaurants and cafes near by. Very closed to public transportation. Rainbow bridge view from balcony of 24th floor .
Facilities:One bedroom(double bed). Living room(32 inch TV, CD combo, Sofa, Desk). Kitchen(Frige, Microwave, Oven, Toaster, Gas stove). Bathroom. Toilet. Washing machine. Optical fiber for internet. Extra bed(if you want).
Period:5th~26th of Feb.
Rent:¥100,000
Conditions:Female 1~2. Non-smoker. No pet.

Contact me by E-mail for more information.
mi-yo@hotmail.co.jp

Milimari
Are you aware this is illegal in Japan, that is unless you own your unit? It could put both parties in trouble, especially you in this case.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-22-2010, 01:28 AM

What makes you think she doesn't own the apartment, Sashimister? For all you know she does. I have female Japanese friends who own apartments in central Tokyo, so it's not impossible that milimari owns this apartment and is not trying to sublet. Can you think of a reason why she would jeopardise her own occupation of the apartment by subletting it to a foreigner in particular, who would obviously stand out as not being the original occupant even more? I'm willing to bet that she owns it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-22-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
What makes you think she doesn't own the apartment, Sashimister? For all you know she does. I have female Japanese friends who own apartments in central Tokyo, so it's not impossible that milimari owns this apartment and is not trying to sublet. Can you think of a reason why she would jeopardise her own occupation of the apartment by subletting it to a foreigner in particular, who would obviously stand out as not being the original occupant even more? I'm willing to bet that she owns it.
I never stated that she didn't own it. In fact, I even put it in a question form.

I said what I said because:

1. Some Japanese aren't aware that sublets are illegal. I myself hadn't known for sure until a few weeks ago when I heard a lawer speak on the matter on TV.

2. The OP used the term "flat". An English-speaking Japanese would have used "condo" instead. A Japanese with less English knowledge would have used "mansion".

3. Just in case she didn't own her unit, I didn't want to see JF sponsoring an illegal add.

I don't wish to disuss who is "guesing" right since that's pointless, but I do want to stress that my post had nothing to do with gender of the OP in case that's what you thought I was implying.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post

2. The OP used the term "flat". An English-speaking Japanese would have used "condo" instead. A Japanese with less English knowledge would have used "mansion".
Not necessarily. If that Japanese person had spent a lot of time in the States she might say condo, but if it was in the UK she learned most of her English she might well say flat instead. I'm from NZ and nobody there ever uses the word "condo" either- I actually own a flat (i.e. a small apartment) in my hometown.

Anyway, we're just guessing- maybe she will come back and clarify, maybe you warned her that she was trying to do something illegal. I just think that starting your post with "Are you aware this is illegal in Japan?" was not the best way to phrase it when you don't know whether she owns the apartment or not.