JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
Moving soon? - 01-22-2010, 01:48 AM

Hi everyone. I was offered a job in Japan....Tohoku region, and I'm okay with everything, 'cept for the Visa set up.

I have read everything on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan site, but I'm still a bit lost on the process needed to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility so that I can submit that (along with the other proper paper work) to obtain my actual Visa. To be honest, the COE is the only thing I'm lost on.

I know what I need on my end, but I didn't come across anything explaining what the employer is supposed to provide or all the steps involved in obtaining a COE on their end.

I was told that I could just let them handle everything, or I can get started on the Visa process earlier, which is what I prefer to do.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-22-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Hi everyone. I was offered a job in Japan....Tohoku region, and I'm okay with everything, 'cept for the Visa set up.

I have read everything on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan site, but I'm still a bit lost on the process needed to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility so that I can submit that (along with the other proper paper work) to obtain my actual Visa. To be honest, the COE is the only thing I'm lost on.

I know what I need on my end, but I didn't come across anything explaining what the employer is supposed to provide or all the steps involved in obtaining a COE on their end.

I was told that I could just let them handle everything, or I can get started on the Visa process earlier, which is what I prefer to do.
Are you working for a company with a lot of foreign employees or are you the only one?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-22-2010, 02:17 AM

It's an English job. Typical, eh? But no, I'm not the only foreigner. I just want to make sure I'm understanding everything fully, is all, as far as the Visa process goes since I've never been anyplace where I actually needed to use my passport before.

I already sent an e-mail asking if I was understanding everything correctly, just haven't received a response back yet, so I decided to ask here too.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
It's an English job. Typical, eh? But no, I'm not the only foreigner. I just want to make sure I'm understanding everything fully, is all, as far as the Visa process goes since I've never been anyplace where I actually needed to use my passport before.

I already sent an e-mail asking if I was understanding everything correctly, just haven't received a response back yet, so I decided to ask here too.
Then your employer should be doing most if not all of it for you. It's old hat for them.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-22-2010, 02:34 AM

I suppose so. I guess, in a way, when it comes to legalities, I can be a bit eccentric, as I want to make sure everything is done by the book and correctly and I also want to make sure I understand everything in is entirety.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-22-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I suppose so. I guess, in a way, when it comes to legalities, I can be a bit eccentric, as I want to make sure everything is done by the book and correctly and I also want to make sure I understand everything in is entirety.
You can drive yourself batty trying to understand Japanese immigration policies and rules. Let them do everything they can for you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-22-2010, 03:18 AM

My mother was telling me the same thing. lol
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Living in Japan and not speaking the language fluently means you'll have many, many situations where you won't know exactly what's going on and what's what. Try to ask questions and doublecheck what you can, but many times you just need to trust people, go with the flow, and hope for the best.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2010, 11:20 PM

I agree with the above posters. You are far more likely to mess up the visa application than your new company, which has probably done this hundreds of times. Also as above, once you're in Japan you'll find that you don't know what's going on and aren't in control of the situation quite often, so maybe time to start getting used to that part of the culture shock

I came to Japan on a working visa 11 years ago, and my company sorted out my visa for me just fine. You'll still most likely have to visit the embassy/consulate at least once, so you'll be part of the process anyway.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Well, so far, seems all will be in order sooner or later. Have to mail in all my documentation. The main thing I have to do is a medical check and hope that I do okay with that. Does anyone here know what a medical check would consist of, generally? I've never needed one for a job before, and it's not yet Monday in Japan yet for me to ask them.

Also, I take two medications right now that are prescription. One is Metformin for my Diabetes and the other is Warfurin (Coumadin), which is a blood thinner, which I was put on when I was stuck sick in the hospital the last week of November. They told me that I shouldn't have to take it any longer than six months, but I'm not so sure now.

The blood thinner is used to keep my International Normalized Ratio (INR) level between a 2 and a 3. My problem is that it's still not normalizing. I've been checking it every couple of weeks. Very first time, my INR went down to a 1.2 (bad prescription since I was using generic brand). Took it again (non-generic), and it went up to a 4. Doctor told me not to take it for one week...checked again, .9. Went back to normal dosage again, went up to a 6.5 so she told me to take a whole pill odd days and a half even. I get checked again Monday, so I'm hoping it's not too high again and hope that that adjustment can keep it at a normal level.

I'm getting slightly worried that I'll have to bring that medication over with me as well, which means something else I'd need a doctor for. Is there anyway of knowing what medications are allowed and which aren't? When googling earlier, I came across mostly blogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Living in Japan and not speaking the language fluently means you'll have many, many situations where you won't know exactly what's going on and what's what. Try to ask questions and doublecheck what you can, but many times you just need to trust people, go with the flow, and hope for the best.
This is very good advice. My Japanese has suffered, though. I really need to go back to studying it again, but my listening skills are still very weak.

When attempting the JLPT 3 back in 2008, I was weakest in the listening section. I just don't know how I can practice listening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I agree with the above posters. You are far more likely to mess up the visa application than your new company, which has probably done this hundreds of times.
Yeah, I got that now. lol Like I said, the "eccentric" part of me just wants to know the process every step of the way. ^^
Quote:
Also as above, once you're in Japan you'll find that you don't know what's going on and aren't in control of the situation quite often, so maybe time to start getting used to that part of the culture shock
I can't help but wonder how I'll react to being there as far as "culture shock" is concerned. I already know that I'll, probably, be stared at since I'm "African American", overweight (but still losing it slowly but surely), and kind of tall (seems it's been varying, without shoes, about 5'9 - 5'10, with certain shoes, close to 6'). I know I'm going to definitely stand out, but I'm trying to brace myself for it.

One of the students I worked with at the place I do Volunteer ESL teaching at actually wanted to touch my hair after I got it rebraided. I was amused at that situation. She even asked me first. lol I wonder if I'll get any of that for the hair thing...not necessarily touching, though.
Quote:
I came to Japan on a working visa 11 years ago, and my company sorted out my visa for me just fine. You'll still most likely have to visit the embassy/consulate at least once, so you'll be part of the process anyway.
Yeah, I'm under that impression as well since, to my knowledge, I'll have that stamp in my passport and that COE thing.