JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How long can you go in Japan without food from home?
Maybe a day 9 13.85%
A week tops 10 15.38%
A month easily 15 23.08%
Years 31 47.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

How long could you go without food from home? - 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM

How long do you think you could live in Japan just on Japanese food? How long could you go without pasta, hamburgers, or whateverare your staples at home?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2010, 12:53 PM

I could eat カツカレー every day.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-24-2010, 01:18 PM

I do eat curry very often. The answer though is... maybe a week? I mean it's not like Japanese grocery stores lack what I would eat in the States... O_o
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
How long do you think you could live in Japan just on Japanese food? How long could you go without pasta, hamburgers, or whateverare your staples at home?
I could probably go easily without, as I rarely have stuff like fast food in general.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-24-2010, 01:28 PM

I think he meant more than that, Jup. I don't go out that much, but I certainly use western ingredients. Going 和食 all the time would be a pain in the rear.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I could probably go easily without, as I rarely have stuff like fast food in general.
I didn't necessarily mean fast food, but the food you normally eat.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM

After spending a year in Japan i know that i can live without any western food for about 1 month. After that i really wanted to eat some food from home. Even so i like Japanese food, i feel like i need some western food once in a while. The longer i stayed in Japan the more i wanted to eat Western food.
It wasnt so bad in Korea because their style of food is quite different from Japanese.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

01-24-2010, 02:01 PM

I'm so used to my moms cooking that I think i could only do a week. >.>
other peoples food regardless of what country I am in is just not the same.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

I usually do quite well; I guess before I'm really craving something English, about a month. Depends on how well everything else is going. I eat a lot of asian food as a matter of course anyway, so the 'change' doesn't bother me. I guess I used to make things like risotto and roast chicken once or twice a month and go for pasta when I was feeling too lazy to do anything more adventurous. It took me a much longer time, about 6 months or so, before I really hit the cravings for a bottle of decent wine and some non-plastic cheese. Oh and the lack of proper sausages makes me sad.

Tea however, is a different story. I think I got about a week before I was e-mailing home asking for proper tea because all I could find was Lipton's yellow label *blech blech ptooey!*, or 10 Twinings tea bags for something ridiculous like 400 yen D: Definitely something I will take with me if I go out to Japan again.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2010, 04:32 PM

I haven't tried it before, however I don't think it's too much of a problem. However we all know that not even Japanese people eat purely Japanese food all the time. For example, I live in the UK and eat as much foreign food as British food. On just Japanese food I can imagine maybe a couple of months (but of course that is just a guess). But I'd have no problem going forever if there was other food every so often.