JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MatthewQueree (Offline)
New to JF

02-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the reply and In the most part it was what I expected. But this why people ask to learn from people who know.

I have been to japan, 8 times with my wife, however, I do hear a variety of opinions whether you can survive as a foreigner in japan without a BA degree, some advice comming from japanese friends and family which perhaps is slightly bias?.

I know I most likely not ever be in a position to work in the finance industry but possibly a small job in a shop or bar will suffice.

Appreciate peoples help and knowledge on the subject, I believe we are going to try moving out there with a estimated date of late nov earlier dec 2010. (Pehaps failing, but hopefully suceeding!)

Thanks

Matthew
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewQueree View Post
Thanks for the reply and In the most part it was what I expected. But this why people ask to learn from people who know.

I have been to japan, 8 times with my wife, however, I do hear a variety of opinions whether you can survive as a foreigner in japan without a BA degree, some advice comming from japanese friends and family which perhaps is slightly bias?.

I know I most likely not ever be in a position to work in the finance industry but possibly a small job in a shop or bar will suffice.

Appreciate peoples help and knowledge on the subject, I believe we are going to try moving out there with a estimated date of late nov earlier dec 2010. (Pehaps failing, but hopefully suceeding!)

Thanks

Matthew
Do you know where it is you will move to?

Certainly there are people that do it every day (without the degree) and it sounds like you are flexible and ready for an adventure, so I am sure you will succeed. As you meet more people in Japan and make connections you may find a unique opportunity to be a part of a small and growing business, or maybe even start one of your own.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewQueree View Post

Thanks

Matthew
It is exciting change despite what issues may lay ahead. Dig up this thread and let the board know how it goes... There is a market for foreign employees with English as their native language in the jobs you are seeking to get established in Japan.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It can, if you are doing the exact same thing you did, but in my experience a company will hire someone right out of college over someone with several years experience and no degree.

Here is why:

Administrator hires OP

OP struggles in his job.

Boss says "What is going on? Why is OP struggling?"

Administrator says "I don't know, he has experience."

Boss says "Where did he graduate from school?"

Administrator says "Well, he didn't."

Boss says "You hired someone without a degree? What were you thinking?!?"

Administrator is demoted.
If your little scenario is really how a boss would react, then there are some terrible problems with Japan. I'm not sure if they think that someone with a degree will not struggle or that having a degree and struggling is ok; afterall, everyone that goes university is much more intellegent, hence a better investment
Soon, it'll become like Korea where too many people are too qualified and having a degree will end up being meaningless!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
If your little scenario is really how a boss would react, then there are some terrible problems with Japan. I'm not sure if they think that someone with a degree will not struggle or that having a degree and struggling is ok; afterall, everyone that goes university is much more intellegent, hence a better investment
Soon, it'll become like Korea where too many people are too qualified and having a degree will end up being meaningless!
It is reflective of the corporate structure. "Risk averse" is the only way to describe it...and the bigger the company the more this is true. That is why I mentioned looking at smaller companies or starting his own business.