(#1 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Apart from whatever Buddhist rituals you have to go through to become a monastic, what are the rules on like.. turning up in another country and deciding to live at a Buddhist Temple as a monastic? Will they just get deported or something? Is there a "Im leaving standard civilzation and rules don't apply to me anymore" Visa?

Basically, I was just trying to figure out in my head how those foreigners ended up living as monastics at a temple in Loas, and if it's harder, or even possible to do in a country like Japan.
Very interesting question since visitor type visa are of a limited duration and I would think any other sort would have to show proof of "employment". Perhaps the head of a monastery can sign as a sponsor in the same way that an employer does. Or perhaps they qualify for a student visa.

I know that it can be done, because I just read a book by someone who was studying at a Suwa shrine in Nagasaki for over a year. Unfortunately for our puposes that issue was not mentioned since he was not writing about himself, but the events at the shrine.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-02-2010, 09:22 PM

I believe it is called an R1 and it is a kind of work visa which can be issued by MoFA for 1 or 3 years.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 12:14 AM

In Japan that would most likely fall under the Cultural Activities visa. To get the cultural visa you would have to have proof that you are already seriously studying that aspect of Japanese culture, i.e. already have an established meditation practice and be pursuing studies in Buddhism before applying for the visa.

I imagine that Thailand and Laos have a similar system, or it may be that the foreign monks do "visa runs" over the border every few months, which apparently Thailand is less strict about than Japan is.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2010, 12:17 AM

Actually, according to the MoFA website, it falls under "Work Visa" and not "Cultural Activities Visa" category.

MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Types and Categories of Visa
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 12:54 AM

MMM, I have to disagree with you there. I'm assuming you are talking about the "Religious Activities" designation? From the site: "Missionary and other religious activities conducted by members of foreign religious organizations."

Note that this category is for people who will work in Japan representing "foreign religious organisations", so presumably doesn't include meditating in a Buddhist (i.e. not foreign) temple. That work visa is also for paid work, for example missionary work. If someone is meditating and studying at a Buddhist temple they won't be getting paid, so it's hard to see how it would qualify for a working visa.

The cultural activities visa seems far more likely- this is the definition from the site: "Academic or artistic activities that provide no income, activities for the purpose of pursuing specific studies on Japanese culture or arts, or activities for the purpose of learning and acquiring skills in Japanese culture or arts under the guidance of experts."
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2010, 12:59 AM

It isn't something I want to argue about, but the definition of the cultural activities visa seems clearly NOT religious:

academic or artistic activities that provide no income, activities for the purpose of pursuing specific studies on Japanese culture or arts, or activities for the purpose of learning and acquiring skills in Japanese culture or arts under the guidance of experts (for example, ikebana, tea ceremony, judo, etc.).

Becoming a monk is neither an academic or artistic activity. Look at the examples they give: ikebana, tea ceremony, judo...none are religious in any way.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2010, 04:37 AM

I am not at all sure either whether the Cultural Activities visa would cover it. I think that meditation could be considered cultural as well as religious and therefore that visa may be granted for people wanting to meditate at a Buddhist centre. People who wanted to meditate in Japan for an extended period would have to talk to Immigration to confirm.

What I am sure of is that a Religious Activities working visa wouldn't cover Buddhist meditation, for the reasons I mentioned above. If there's no remuneration then Immigration won't see it as work.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 01:21 AM

My 2 cents

Having read both visas I would agree with sarasi.

The religion one is meant for "importing" religion into Japan so to speak i.e. you're Mother Teresa and you want to open a convent.

The cultural one makes the most sense with the head of the temple sponsoring you. This is something one can only partake of in Japan etc...

At any point it's a visa that I suspect is not an easy one to get.

But I know zero about this, just guessing based on the wording.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 11:00 AM

With cultural activities the subject includes anything you would have to study in Japan. ie. Shinto or Japan specific Buddhism like Nichiren.
Other non religeous things will be Karate and Sumo and many other Japanese specific studies that cannot be undertaken in another country.

If you are of the religious bent and are studying a non Japanese specific religion then you may be required to state why you wish to study this religion in Japan.

If you want to be a Monk in Japan then expect to be valued less then an insect for the next many years of your life. This is only for Japanese, as if you are a gaijin then expect the life of an Amoeba to be your lot for a good few years.

In this time you will suffer the life of a monk. And good luck to you, as many Japanese cannot do this, and against their family's wishes they give up and find a new life elsewhere.

Being a monk in Japan is one of the hardest things you will ever do.
I wish you luck!