JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MysticLight (Offline)
Hi to JeF

Send a message via MSN to MysticLight
Can anyone recommend a good website for learning japanese in japan? - 03-17-2010, 10:18 PM

(I'm from the UK =] )

If this is the wrong place for this thread, sorry! I wasn't sure, but i'd be living in japan briefly for the summer course.

Last edited by MysticLight : 03-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samjah (Offline)
New to JF

Talking ^^ - 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM

maybe this could help you:

Entering Tim's Takamatsu

it's written in romaji, and I think it's good.
^^
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

I'd say that youtube is a good place. Just look up something Japanese that looks interesting and listen to it. Even if you don't understand it, it's still getting into your ears and your brain is trying to figure out where words end and begin. You won't even realize it, but eventually you will be able to figure things out.

I think standard studying is also important, but straight listening should not be discounted. It's not something that can be done quickly and takes time. (your ears are tuned to your mother language and have to get used to Japanese).

When studying Japanese, that is the biggest obstacle. Don't try to compare Japanese to English too much. They are not similar at all, and even where they are the similarities don't overlap 100%, so it can be cause for trouble. It's like you have to listen to it as if you were a baby. There is no reason for comparisson because there is nothing to compare it with-- that's the best way to think. Also don't forget the main purpose of spoken language: communication. When living in Japan don't discount the other forms of communication (body language, using your hands, drawing things, etc). I think that body language is often not taken as seriously as it should be. To most people it comes naturally, but always keep in mind your body language when communicating with people in Japanese. Chances are that they don't understand you, so they are looking for other cues instead and may focus even more than usual on your body language.

If you are truly interested, I'd recommend starting to listen to Japanese immediately. It may seem pointless to listen to something that you don't understand, but I believe it will help. Writing and reading are helpful, too... but I think learning to 'read' or 'write' too soon can make it harder to speak later on.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
baioslaio (Offline)
New to JF

05-28-2010, 03:01 PM

1. Learn Hiragana with pen and paper (this will really help you understand the japanese language)
2. Learn some words
3. Watch some Japanese movies to get used to the sound of the language.
4. Go to google and search for japanese grammer
5. Learn some Kanji and Katakana.
6. Profit
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-03-2010, 02:13 AM

Actually, google is a pretty good language tool if you use it correctly. You can check your grammar by putting your sentences in quotes into google and it will shoot back to you however many matches (if any) it has. It's a good way to see which grammatical forms are actually used (on the internet, at least... which I think is a hybrid between formal written language and everyday spoken language... mostly leaning towards spoken language).

It's also a good way to take single words and see which are used the most. Just put a word in and count the matches. Compare it to a word with the same meaning and you've got a good idea of which one carries more weight in everday language.

WWWJDIC is a good website that uses that concept, I think. It shows examples of usage, too, which is helpful.

That's where hiragana and a basic level knowledge of kanji will come into play... you can use it to check things on the internet. Otherwise, just check your grammar with whatever friends/language partners you make in Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Burundo (Offline)
JF Regular

06-03-2010, 02:54 PM

One web site that has helped me out a lot is JapanesePod101. They also have their own youtube channel.

Also on youtube, there is a teacher named Hiroko with a channel called HirokoChannel (she's also a teacher for JapanesePod101).

I SPELLED MY USERNAME WRONG!!!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-04-2010, 01:32 AM

You know the best way to learn Japanese....

TOTAL IMMERSION

this means no more English....listen to Japanese 24/7, watch Japanese movies, listen to Japanese music, talk to people in Japanese.....THIS is what you should do.

You'll be fluent in a year if you keep this up.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
You know the best way to learn Japanese....

TOTAL IMMERSION

this means no more English....listen to Japanese 24/7, watch Japanese movies, listen to Japanese music, talk to people in Japanese.....THIS is what you should do.

You'll be fluent in a year if you keep this up.
You are so right haha. It is my opinion that learning what type 1 or type 2 verbs are is almost a waste of brain power (i don't know which is which to be honest). Just getting out there and listening to people talk is the best bet. Even learning from a teacher will only cause you to speak very basic and slow Japanese. Immersion is the keyword... it's probably the slowest start, but the strongest finish.