LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-30-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
It could be worth a try, but as I said above, the spouse visa is for someone who wishes to reside in Japan with their Japanese spouse, so if it is any way obvious to officials that the person wishes to use it just for extended visits to Japan when the spouse is not there, I would say there is a strong possibility of it not being granted. Can a Japanese person living outside Japan get a juuminhyou, I wonder?
As long as the person has a guarantor, is it really a problem? I know nothing is black and white when it comes to Japanese government bureaucracy, but I am just curious. It is kind of a unique situation, which doesn't make things easier.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ranmyaku (Offline)
New to JF

03-30-2010, 01:01 PM

I am interested in finding out the result if you try and do this. My wife is a Japanese national and we live in the US. However, as you mentioned, it would be nice to be able to go for extended trips without having to leave.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
The name of the visa, incidentally, is "Spouse or Child of a Japanese national"- that's what it says in my passport! A dependent visa is for the spouse of child of a non-Japanese resident in Japan.
How long does the spouse visa last? If I remember correctly the Child of a Japanese national can be extended indefinitely but is limited to 1 to 3 years?

If that's the case, I'm thinking that it'd be a case of renewing that visa on a regular basis. Although it could be tough if your records show that you haven't spent close to 90 consecutive days in Japan during the first term.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
How long does the spouse visa last? If I remember correctly the Child of a Japanese national can be extended indefinitely but is limited to 1 to 3 years?

If that's the case, I'm thinking that it'd be a case of renewing that visa on a regular basis. Although it could be tough if your records show that you haven't spent close to 90 consecutive days in Japan during the first term.
It starts at 1 year, and then from what I understand, after a couple successful renewals that could move to 3 years.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Whether the person gets 1 or 3 years is at the discretion of the Immigration official. I got 3 years for my first spouse visa, but that was no doubt because I had already lived in Japan for 10 years on working visas.

I don't think it's just a matter of having a guarantor in Japan as you still need to show you are eligible for the visa, and I wonder whether it would be possible to prove that in this case. All the other paperwork has to be in order as well, including the juuminhyou, and to get a juuminhyou I believe you have to be registered as living in a certain city/ward, and therefore be paying into national health insurance etc.

Assuming that the visa was granted, I also wonder what the reaction of Immigration officials would be if it became obvious through the person's entry and exit patterns that they were not in fact living in Japan (i.e. more time outside Japan than in it).

Anyway, let us know how the person gets on, as it would be interesting to know.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-31-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Whether the person gets 1 or 3 years is at the discretion of the Immigration official. I got 3 years for my first spouse visa, but that was no doubt because I had already lived in Japan for 10 years on working visas.

I don't think it's just a matter of having a guarantor in Japan as you still need to show you are eligible for the visa, and I wonder whether it would be possible to prove that in this case. All the other paperwork has to be in order as well, including the juuminhyou, and to get a juuminhyou I believe you have to be registered as living in a certain city/ward, and therefore be paying into national health insurance etc.

Assuming that the visa was granted, I also wonder what the reaction of Immigration officials would be if it became obvious through the person's entry and exit patterns that they were not in fact living in Japan (i.e. more time outside Japan than in it).

Anyway, let us know how the person gets on, as it would be interesting to know.
This is what I am trying to figure out, as it shouldn't be done if it threatens the chance or re-entry at a later time.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-01-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Can a Japanese person living outside Japan get a juuminhyou, I wonder?
A Japanese citizen outside Japan exists on their parent`s juuminhyou - or rather the same location as their koseki. Moving back to Japan you have to move your documentation from that location to the new one.

As for living outside of Japan and keeping a spouse visa for extended visits... I don`t really think it is possible. It isn`t a matter of having a juuminhyou... It`s a matter of foreigner registration and re-entry policies.
Every time you leave the country, you have to have a re-entry permit (or have the unlimited re-entry thing)... BUT the re-entry has to be done within so long - I believe 90 days. If you do NOT re-enter during that period you apparently forfeit your visa.

This comes up a lot on a mailing list I am a part of for residents in Japan, as it limits the length of vacations or family visits. If you are leaving Japan for more than 90 days, you are supposed to have them cancel your visa and turn in your foreigner card. There isn`t supposed to be any penalty toward getting residence later though.

I think the rules for the PR are a bit different, but I am not sure.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

04-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Not really a answer to your question, but...
He could extend his tourist visa, especially if he has a good reason. i have done it once. he will then get another 15 days. the problem with this is that he will not know whether he will really get the extension at the time of entry, or when buying the ticket for that matter.

the most obvious recommendation would of course be to contact the JP embassy in his country, or contact the immigration office in Japan. Unfortunately they do not yet have e-mail service in english (they didn't have it two years ago), but perhaps his partner could take care of that.
info-tokyo@immi-moj.go.jp

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#19 (permalink))
Old
gr8gonzo1775 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to gr8gonzo1775
Marriage to a Japanese national - 04-16-2010, 03:32 AM

Hello,

I think this may be a bit helpful,
Marriage in Japan
This is the website that I found on the subject and it laid out the process for this topic, and was straight forward. At the bottom of the web page there are four choices the first should be "we'd like to get married in Japan" click on the link and read the requirements. That is what I have done.

Tim