seems as if my dream to Japan will get cut short everytime. I recently
got a koi fish and cherry blossoms tattooed on to me it allows me to
bring a part of Japan (in my eyes) with me. So my real question is I
really would love to know how when you offer someone a room how does it
work obviously I would buy my own plane ticket but where from there I
couldn't get a job could I? I know I could take free Japanese lessons
which would be awesome I am surrounded by Japanese and I am a highly
motivated person who would strive for nothing but the best. If any one
can answer me back or if I need to elaborate more please let me know.
Thanks for taking your time reading this

My contact information - shanekodi@hotmail.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2010, 12:32 AM

I suggest you look at the threads "I live in Japan" and "Graduate from university if you want to live in Japan".

As an American who hasn't graduated from university, your only choices really are to come on a student visa (to do this you need to be able to pay the course fees upfront), or stay 90 days on a tourist permit. You will not be given a working visa without a university degree or 3-10 years experience working in the field you plan to work in in Japan, no exceptions.

The idea that someone will let you stay with them for free is probably unrealistic I am afraid. While it may happen occasionally it would be pretty rare. For now, why not save up some money just to visit as a tourist for a month or two- rather than paying for more tattoos, put that money towards a flight to Japan :-)

Last edited by sarasi : 04-17-2010 at 12:52 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-17-2010, 01:20 AM

First of all, Japan is just a place. A lot of young people who dream of Japan imagine that it is a wonderful place, the land of the samurai, or ninjas, or anime, or whatever. It is all those things, but the reality of Japan is usually quite different from what people imagine.

As a foreigner in Japan, you will quickly come to understand that Japanese culture, interesting as it may be, is not your culture. You will be a "gaikokujin" or "outside country person", or simply "gaijin" or "outsider". If you spend many years living in Japan, learn the language, and even become a permanent resident with a Japan passport, you will still considered and called a foreigner.

I like living in Japan, foreigner that I am. I don't care for anime, manga, or Japanese culture to a great extent. I like the scenery, the food, and the people. Though Japan is a much different place than I imagined it to be before I came here, I have adapted to it. There are always things to see or do, and my weekends are always busy.

As only a high school graduate, you will not be able to live or work in Japan. You can visit for 90 days, but that will be the limit of your stay.

If you want to come to Japan, or enjoy a decent life anywhere, you should be thinking about getting into a university. It is not as hard as you think, and it is not time wasted. You have to stop dreaming and start acting, those who don't put in any effort into getting the things they want will never get the things they want. Saying that you strive to do things, but not seriously considering a university degree does not make sense.

If you can't afford university (which was my case), you can join the Army or National Guard. The National Guard will pay for a 4 year university degree while you serve, meaning that in 4 years you will have a bachelors degree, and no student loans to hold you back.

Life in the military was a kick in the pants to me. I learned that my limits were far greater than I ever believed. I would have never believed that I could run a mile in 5 minutes, or jump out of airplanes, or accomplish half of the things I was able to accomplish during my time there. It made a man out of me, and gave me a perspective of the world I would never have gained otherwise. My outlook of the world was developed by actually seeing it with my own eyes, rather than hearing other people talk about it or reading of it in books.

If you really want to go to Japan, go to college.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2010, 02:38 AM

Nice post Sangetsu !