LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
No doubt your research has told you that the college degree doesn't just make things a bit easier, it is what actually makes it possible- no working visa without a degree (unless you have many years' work experience).
Like I've mentioned, I've only done a small amount of research. So I didn't realize that a college degree was what made it possible.
So, thank you very much for stating that!
: D

This whole "living in Japan" concept contains lot of steps I'm unfamiliar with, with me being so young and inexperienced.

So, again, wow, thank you.
I really appreciate it.

I do have a question about visa's though.
Again, this is one of the many things that I'm very unfamiliar with.
I understand that they have expiration dates, but how is the duration determined?
And when that deadline approaches, do you just renew it?

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but it's true, with this subject I'm just starting to learn about the requirements and processes that goes into it.
: )

I appreciate any response that you can give me.

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#12 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyLynn View Post
I do have a question about visa's though.
Again, this is one of the many things that I'm very unfamiliar with.
I understand that they have expiration dates, but how is the duration determined?
And when that deadline approaches, do you just renew it?
Japan Immigration determines the duration of visas, using criteria that they do not make public. Working visas and spouse visas for example come in one-year and three-year versions. Some people get a three-year visa when they first arrive in Japan, others have to renew several times before they finally get a three-year visa. You can renew these visas indefinitely provided you still fulfill the requirements i.e. still have a job/are still married to a Japanese national.

Student visas are a bit simpler- your visa is valid for as long as your course runs- usually 6 months or one year.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
Japan Immigration determines the duration of visas, using criteria that they do not make public. Working visas and spouse visas for example come in one-year and three-year versions. Some people get a three-year visa when they first arrive in Japan, others have to renew several times before they finally get a three-year visa. You can renew these visas indefinitely provided you still fulfill the requirements i.e. still have a job/are still married to a Japanese national.

Student visas are a bit simpler- your visa is valid for as long as your course runs- usually 6 months or one year.

Okay, thank you!
I appreciate it.

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-29-2010, 01:23 AM

You need only a 4 year college degree. A TEFL certificate is nice, but it's superfluous as most schools follow a set-in-stone curriculum using their own texts and methods. The only certificate really worth having is a CELTA, it will open a few doors in Japan, and also qualify you to teach in English-speaking countries.

If you really want to get a good teaching job, get a degree in education or English. If you want a decent-paying job, work toward a masters degree, this will qualify you for university teaching positions which pay double or more what the usual teaching positions in Japan pay.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Thuglife (Offline)
JF Regular

04-29-2010, 02:59 PM

What are your recommendations and experiences for/from living in Japan.

What is the most important thing??
Teaching English or traveling?

I have seen the effects of uninspiring ALT's who were way over their heads and made English less than fun for everyone around them. Then they leave. Rinse and repeat. Truth be told, some of the "local" foreigners can't teach worth a shit either but the ALT's are almost exclusively shitty.

I hope my posts will save just one whale...er...I mean one child's mind
(#16 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You need only a 4 year college degree. A TEFL certificate is nice, but it's superfluous as most schools follow a set-in-stone curriculum using their own texts and methods. The only certificate really worth having is a CELTA, it will open a few doors in Japan, and also qualify you to teach in English-speaking countries.

If you really want to get a good teaching job, get a degree in education or English. If you want a decent-paying job, work toward a masters degree, this will qualify you for university teaching positions which pay double or more what the usual teaching positions in Japan pay.
Okay, thanks so much for the tip.
I've never heard of a CELTA, so I'll have to look it up some more.
Again, thank you.
^^

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#17 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglife View Post
What are your recommendations and experiences for/from living in Japan.

What is the most important thing??
Teaching English or traveling?

I have seen the effects of uninspiring ALT's who were way over their heads and made English less than fun for everyone around them. Then they leave. Rinse and repeat. Truth be told, some of the "local" foreigners can't teach worth a shit either but the ALT's are almost exclusively shitty.

I hope my posts will save just one whale...er...I mean one child's mind
I think you have a really negative outlook toward this, with good reason, I'm sure.
Just know, that if this was something I decided on, it would be a commitment and I'd want to make it the best situation that I could possibly make for everyone.

I don't want to be a bitter, I-hate-my-job-and-I'm -only-here-for-the-travel, type of person.

Learning a new language is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience that will open up doors for everyone INCLUDING me, if I do decide on this.

All I can think of is my French teacher from last year, who ALWAYS came into class smiling and laughing-loving her job!
She made learning French such a fun and exciting experience. She made that class feel like a family and brought everyone together.

I hope to be able to do that, no matter what I choose to do in life.
Your career and future options need to be for something that will bring you joy.

And I'm still in high school, so I have years before I can even consider making a move there! I can take classes to prepare myself-I can learn all I can NOW to better my chances of making myself and others happier if I go there.

Maybe I sound naive, but oh well.
That's my outlook as of now, and I will commit to anything I decide to do.

But, thank you for your opinion and input.

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#18 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

04-30-2010, 12:57 AM

Don't forget to study both languages and be fluent in both. Again, have much paitence with getting used to the culture. Although, try not to think of the culture as an obstacle, it's a lot harder to appreciate it if you do. Always do your best to be optimistic aboutit. There's no doubt you'll have some sort of challenge, everyone does, no matter how prepared you come. Just be open and optimistic, and you'll make it

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-30-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Don't forget to study both languages and be fluent in both. Again, have much paitence with getting used to the culture. Although, try not to think of the culture as an obstacle, it's a lot harder to appreciate it if you do. Always do your best to be optimistic aboutit. There's no doubt you'll have some sort of challenge, everyone does, no matter how prepared you come. Just be open and optimistic, and you'll make it
Thank you!
Yeah, luckily, I've already been planning to take Japanese language classes starting this summer or by this fall.
Because even if I don't pursue this route, Japan is definitely somewhere I'd like to go for a visit or two; knowing the language would be very beneficial to the trip.

And I get what you mean: Keeping a positive attitude and open heart and mind about a situation will help toward getting through obstacles along the way.
I just hope that if I do decide to pursue this, I can remember to maintain it, which I think with the proper preparations, shouldn't be overly unbearable.

^^

I've always found other cultures fascinating, and not just limiting that statement to Japan.
I mean, to be able to imagine a path where I'd be involved within a different culture is sort of surreal. Just thinking about the possibility is a joy in itself. It's sort of scary, but it's awesome at the same time.

Haha, but anyways, thanks so much for your post.
I didn't mean to ramble!
And, I appreciate the advice!

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#20 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

04-30-2010, 02:37 AM

Just bein' the honest cookie

You'll have a blast!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.