LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I just wanted to point out that in NZ, Australia and the UK, in most cases a BA or BSc (<- =BS) is finished in 3 years- mine was, and it was fine for getting me a working visa. A lot of people not from North America who have degrees see people constantly mention the "4-year degree" thing and assume they don't qualify, which is not the case.

I also wanted to correct someone above- while Nova did go bankrupt, it did not collapse in 2008- it was immediately bought out by a company called G-Com, who continue to run it even now. It is not as large as it was before, but it is still there. G-Com also bought out Geos on its bankruptcy just recently.

As for what's happening with the English teaching market, Japanese people really just aren't signing up for English conversation classes in as large numbers these days. There was an English conversation class "boom" in the late 80s and 90s where everyone wanted to take classes, and that has basically finished. One of the reasons Geos went bankrupt is that they had something like 35,000 fewer sign-ups last year than they did the previous year. Of course that has a lot to do with the economic recession as well as the end of the "boom".

I first arrived in Japan in Japan in 1995 when it was joked that anyone with a pulse could get a job teaching English here, and it was pretty much true.

It's much harder now- there are still plenty of jobs, but definitely not as many as before, and there are lots more people applying for them, so you really have to stand out.
I really appreciate the well-informed post.
It really helped.
So thank you.

You said that "...you really have to stand out."
Continuing off of MMM's post that you just need to be
fluent in English and have a BA or BS, can you think of
any other things that would help me to "stand out" specifically?

Thanks either way!
^^

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#42 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2010, 01:59 AM

Probably two of the most important factors are your appearance and your personality- you need to look professional and well-dressed- the Japanese work environment is still a lot more formal than in English-speaking countries.

You need to be outgoing and well-spoken but still come across as very professional. If you are applying for a kids teaching job it is of course important to seem fun, but not airheaded.

These days a TEFL qualification of some sort is becoming more important, and not just an online on, it needs to have a practical teaching component. Any teaching experience you can put on your resume is great, even if it's just volunteer. Japanese language skills are likely to open more doors. Any travel you can do (not just to Hawaii or Acapulco for example) may be helpful because it shows you can deal with unfamiliar situations and won't leave suddenly due to homesickness.

Learn English grammar, and make sure your written expression in your resume and cover letter is excellent. Any spelling or grammar mistakes are going to mean your application is binned.

If I remember correctly you're still at high school? You have plenty of time anyway. Have a look at dedicated TEFL/TESL sites on the internet, like the Japan forum of Dave's ESL Cafe for example- Dave's ESL Cafe .

Read through the threads there and you'll find answers to a lot of your questions.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
Probably two of the most important factors are your appearance and your personality- you need to look professional and well-dressed- the Japanese work environment is still a lot more formal than in English-speaking countries.

You need to be outgoing and well-spoken but still come across as very professional. If you are applying for a kids teaching job it is of course important to seem fun, but not airheaded.

These days a TEFL qualification of some sort is becoming more important, and not just an online on, it needs to have a practical teaching component. Any teaching experience you can put on your resume is great, even if it's just volunteer. Japanese language skills are likely to open more doors. Any travel you can do (not just to Hawaii or Acapulco for example) may be helpful because it shows you can deal with unfamiliar situations and won't leave suddenly due to homesickness.

Learn English grammar, and make sure your written expression in your resume and cover letter is excellent. Any spelling or grammar mistakes are going to mean your application is binned.

If I remember correctly you're still at high school? You have plenty of time anyway. Have a look at dedicated TEFL/TESL sites on the internet, like the Japan forum of Dave's ESL Cafe for example- Dave's ESL Cafe .

Read through the threads there and you'll find answers to a lot of your questions.
+1 all of Sarasi's post.

Track down Glenski on Dave's ESL. He really knows his stuff.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#44 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
+1 all of Sarasi's post.

Track down Glenski on Dave's ESL. He really knows his stuff.
Okay then, I'll be sure the thoroughly check out that site.

: )

If you guys come across any other useful information or sites please post it here.

This site is so nice in the way that it allows people to connect with others who have had first hand experience from living in Japan and also with those who want to.
I'm glad that I stumbled upon it.

^^

Again, thanks so much to everyone's posts.

They're really helping me out.

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#45 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2010, 07:09 PM

I believe gaijinpot is the largest forum for foreigners living in Japan. You'll need some thick skin but it's a wealth of info.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I believe gaijinpot is the largest forum for foreigners living in Japan. You'll need some thick skin but it's a wealth of info.
Oh wow, it seems like that site has a bunch of useful information.

Thanks a lot.

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Gaijinpot is made of bitter old trolls that are pretty much entirely negative. "Japanese hate foreigners. Everyone will rip you off. You'll last a year before you get homesick and go home. If you think you have any chance of being put in a more professional position than a dancing monkey, I want whatever you're smoking, because it's a pipe dream, etc."

Glenski is also on Gaijinpot, and I would suggest applying to positions on Gaijinpot. I would also suggest asking specific questions once on the ground about specific restaurants, computer stores, where to get X or Y item, etc. For newbie help on getting a teaching position in Japan? Dave's ESL is nicer, more positive, has a lot more stickies, and has people willing to answer your questions that have been asked thousands of times before. I know, I am one of those "answer every question" types. As in Glenski.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#48 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyLynn View Post
If you guys come across any other useful information or sites please post it here.
Although primarily a site for JET applicants/current JETs ithinkimlost has a lot of very useful information - they have a non-JET subforum which has a lot of info about the relative pros/cons of the dispatch companies and eikaiwas.

ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum

--Thanks for correcting me sarasi, I remembered seeing bits of the NOVA saga on Japan Today and must of caught the wrong end of the stick.

Last edited by atheistwithfaith : 05-20-2010 at 11:41 PM.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Gaijinpot is made of bitter old trolls that are pretty much entirely negative. "Japanese hate foreigners. Everyone will rip you off. You'll last a year before you get homesick and go home. If you think you have any chance of being put in a more professional position than a dancing monkey, I want whatever you're smoking, because it's a pipe dream, etc."

Glenski is also on Gaijinpot, and I would suggest applying to positions on Gaijinpot. I would also suggest asking specific questions once on the ground about specific restaurants, computer stores, where to get X or Y item, etc. For newbie help on getting a teaching position in Japan? Dave's ESL is nicer, more positive, has a lot more stickies, and has people willing to answer your questions that have been asked thousands of times before. I know, I am one of those "answer every question" types. As in Glenski.
The internet and its trolls...
Thanks for the tip that Gaijinpot is a hot-spot for those.
I'll try to keep my nose out of posting on forums then, and stick to reading to learn what I can.

It's nice though; I've heard a lot of positive things about Dave's ESL on this site as well as a few others.

Haha, and I'm sure there are a lot of newbies like me, and more to come, who appreciate the "answer every question" type of person.

I can only imagine how frustrating it can get reading the same threads over and over, but posted under different usernames.
I'm much grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
Although primarily a site for JET applicants/current JETs ithinkimlost has a lot of very useful information - they have a non-JET subforum which has a lot of info about the relative pros/cons of the dispatch companies and eikaiwas.

ITIL JET Programme / Japan Forum
And this is so great, I'm getting so many resources and sites to pick apart, haha.

If you find ANYTHING else-a link would be wonderful!
You guys have really helped me a lot so far and it means a lot.

But, if I come across any more questions, then I'll post them here.

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe